Metal Storm logo
Whitechapel, Metalcore, Deathcore...

Original post

Posted by Conservationist, 02.09.2008 - 17:34

Whitechapel - This is Exile

I had a flashback to the early days of 1993. Death metal had just about peaked, and many people were looking for the next big thing -- in terms of style. Brutality was the catchphrase, and since millions of American kids had just rediscovered early Napalm Death thanks to a desperate search for the roots of underground metal, new bands were popping up that promised to be more brutal than before, usually by playing much faster and eliminating all melody. This flashback was prompted by hearing the hype about Whitechapel in one ear, and the reality played in the other.

Read the Rest: Whitechapel - This is Exile review

I'd have to say that these same rules apply to all of the music considered metalcore, of which it seems to me 'deathcore' is a subset, but it's all written about the same way and with the same result... more informed people avoid it! What brought this plague upon extreme metal? It's music that's "a mile wide, an inch deep."
05.08.2010 - 18:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by wormdrink414 on 24.07.2009 at 04:53
That and Corpsegrinder is not only a fan of the show but a contributing voice, and who is more metal than Corpsegrinder? No one.

I can name plenty of death metal vocalists better than Corpsegrinder.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
06.08.2010 - 09:16
Written by Conservationist on 02.09.2008 at 17:34

Whitechapel - This is Exile

I had a flashback to the early days of 1993. Death metal had just about peaked, and many people were looking for the next big thing -- in terms of style. Brutality was the catchphrase, and since millions of American kids had just rediscovered early Napalm Death thanks to a desperate search for the roots of underground metal, new bands were popping up that promised to be more brutal than before, usually by playing much faster and eliminating all melody. This flashback was prompted by hearing the hype about Whitechapel in one ear, and the reality played in the other.

Read the Rest: Whitechapel - This is Exile review

I'd have to say that these same rules apply to all of the music considered metalcore, of which it seems to me 'deathcore' is a subset, but it's all written about the same way and with the same result... more informed people avoid it! What brought this plague upon extreme metal? It's music that's "a mile wide, an inch deep."

SOOOO TRUE. I never thought it anything more than scene metal core tuned slightly lower, with slightly manlier vocals(not saying much) that incorporated some tremlo picking, shitty songwriting and a bunch of ripped of cheezifified riffs that mock actual death metal.
06.08.2010 - 09:27
Written by vezzy on 05.08.2010 at 18:56

Written by wormdrink414 on 24.07.2009 at 04:53
That and Corpsegrinder is not only a fan of the show but a contributing voice, and who is more metal than Corpsegrinder? No one.

I can name plenty of death metal vocalists better than Corpsegrinder.

me too. My buddy travis in Cattle Decap is definately one of the best ever and very innovative too... I really cant think of many other vocalists with the range, balls, articulation and control he has!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L452p8oovOg
06.08.2010 - 09:52
Deathcore is hated for lots of reasons. I'm not gonna lie, the shitard fans and scenecore band members don't help things but even if their fans didn't suck and annoy the fuck out of me at shows, I would still hate Deathcore. I hate deathcore the most because get this, the music sucks!!! How can you say it souns alot like death metal? THe only part of deathcore that sounds like deathmetal is in the name of the genre. Deathcore sounds extremely different than death metal just as much as reggae and reggaeton sound Very different. Everything I can think of is very different from album production, to vocals, from song structure, song writing, harmonic content, rythm, etc... Like I said. Deathcore just takes the most cliche, overused burnt out riffs that every crappy stagnant deathmetal band that has 3 fans and has played in their moms basement plays all day long and then rips off and repackages and recyles them into crappy metalcore songs. COmbine that with shitty boring drummers and tritone breakdowns. Then there are several vocalists always double tracking vocals that have no balls and sound like a 12 year old trying to growl for the first time. Lastly instead of songs about being an asshole in a hxc brocore crew, being an angstry scene teen, Stupid, relationships you never had, or jesus(like some christian core bands) for example, they unsuccessfully try to ripoff cliche themes and titles from c-list death metal bands that broke up in 2002. Instead of being, vulgar, offesive or at all brutal however, just like any metalcore song, they just come off as extremely cheesy pg-13 lyrics and a bunch of random themes made by putting a couple of unrelated yet br00tal(as brutal as a pansy) sounding words that will sell cd's to kids at hot topic.

WHile there are a few bands that incorporate limited deathcore i can say are at least decent but only bc they have interesting gimmicks that are still novel. Most are trash and even those bands would be much better if they forgot deathcore ever existed and stop playing cheesified riffs!

Here is an example of what I mean in that last paragraph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncPQ5eb6bL8
23.12.2010 - 04:19
CzirjakMan
I understand the beef against deathcore, I really do, but whether you like it or not, this is the new generation. How do you think classic rockers felt about grunge? Seriously, it's not the 90s forever, for better or worse, things change, music changes. Deathcore has a couple dreadful bands, but what genre doesn't? So what if it's monotonous? Haven't you listened to Ancient or Cannibal Corpse? Oh right, the only metal in your world is old school black and death metal, of course you have. Just uncomfortable with change I suppose.
23.10.2011 - 23:28
brapp32
Well said czirjakman.
24.10.2011 - 00:09
IronAngel
I don't even know what this Deathcore shit is, but I heard the debut of Betraying The Martyrs. I've read it's deathcore, and it fucking crushes. So I guess deathcore is OK.

Alas, judging by two songs, these Whitechapel dudes don't impress me.

What is the topic exactly about, though?
24.10.2011 - 00:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 24.10.2011 at 00:09
What is the topic exactly about, though?

It's about the difference between metalcore and deathcore using Whitechapel as a reference I think.

And, of course, the "intellectualism" behind an ANUS review.

I don't consider myself a fan of deathcore and only a few metalcore bands hold my interest to this day, but I could care less about the argument between death metal purists and br00tal scene kids.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.10.2011 - 00:39
Void Eater
Account deleted
Meh, signs of deathcore's impending doom (har har) are already showing. There's not any new deathcore bands that are approaching the popularity of Whitechapel, SS, Carnifex, ect, and those bands aren't really increasing in popularity. I'm guessing that the popular bands will remain popular for a few more years, no new bands will gain any sort of commercial success, and whatever the next scene trend is, it will be too far removed from metal for any of us to care about.
24.10.2011 - 00:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 24.10.2011 at 00:39
...whatever the next scene trend is, it will be too far removed from metal for any of us to care about.

Dubstep?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.10.2011 - 00:59
king_matt
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.10.2011 at 00:57

Written by Guest on 24.10.2011 at 00:39
...whatever the next scene trend is, it will be too far removed from metal for any of us to care about.

Dubstep?

Dubstep is already becoming a trend.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
24.10.2011 - 01:03
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by king_matt on 24.10.2011 at 00:59

Dubstep has already been a trend for the last year or two.

Fixed that for you. I can see some of the more mainstream 'metal' bands doing dubstep songs/albums-Korn is doing an album with Skrillex, Mitch Lucker has a dubstep/deathcore side project, The Browning is doing dance music, although not dubstep, mixed with deathcore, and there's surely other examples that I'm too lazy to find.
24.10.2011 - 01:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by king_matt on 24.10.2011 at 00:59
Dubstep is already becoming a trend.

That's what I mean. Deathcore is already losing popularity and dubstep is picking up a lot of the scene kids as they fall out of love with their former favee bands.

I'm assuming Korn will take the place of Carnifex.
----
24.10.2011 - 02:31
brapp32
These genres are like any other genre of music. A few will stand out and the rest will be forgotten about. How many black metal,power metal,prog metal,death metal bands actually stay popular? All those genres are just as saturated with shit bands just as much as metalcore/deathcore.
24.10.2011 - 03:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by brapp32 on 24.10.2011 at 02:31
All those genres are just as saturated with shit bands just as much as metalcore/deathcore.

The difference being all those other genres offer more quality.
----
24.10.2011 - 03:36
brapp32
I would have to disagree with that.
24.10.2011 - 03:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Obviously that boils down to different tastes. You think metalcore and deathcore surmount to the pinnacle of greatness while I think they offer the most shit. Someone like me looks at that kind of roster and sees everything from BFMV to Waking the Cadaver and just laughs. Then stuff like Born of Osiris and Becoming the Archetype are hailed as progressive masterpieces within their respective genres and still someone like me doesn't bother listening to more than a few minutes because it's still not satisfactory.

Meanwhile I see Wolves in the Throne Room, Deathspell Omega, Taake, Agrypnie, Nightbringer, Krallice and the like and I'm thinking...are you serious?

But, as I said, it's all just a matter of different tastes.
----
24.10.2011 - 03:58
brapp32
At least we both laugh at BFMV and Waking the Cadaver.
24.10.2011 - 04:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I think respectable fans of music in general find something comedic about them regardless of their musical preferences.
----
24.10.2011 - 05:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Me im all bout the black and old skool death, but i happenen to like 4 count them 4 deathcore bands, 1. JFAC 2. Carnifex 3. despised Icon 4. Chelsea grin the rest suck more than my hoover vacuum.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.10.2011 - 06:43
Lit.
Account deleted
From reading all this, I've come to the conclusion that music would be so much better without fans.
29.10.2011 - 07:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Let's face it, the world would be better without people.
----
29.10.2011 - 08:21
Misfit74
Written by The Grindcorps on 06.08.2010 at 09:52

Deathcore is hated for lots of reasons. I'm not gonna lie, the shitard fans and scenecore band members don't help things but even if their fans didn't suck and annoy the fuck out of me at shows, I would still hate Deathcore. I hate deathcore the most because get this, the music sucks!!! How can you say it souns alot like death metal? THe only part of deathcore that sounds like deathmetal is in the name of the genre. Deathcore sounds extremely different than death metal just as much as reggae and reggaeton sound Very different. Everything I can think of is very different from album production, to vocals, from song structure, song writing, harmonic content, rythm, etc... Like I said. Deathcore just takes the most cliche, overused burnt out riffs that every crappy stagnant deathmetal band that has 3 fans and has played in their moms basement plays all day long and then rips off and repackages and recyles them into crappy metalcore songs. COmbine that with shitty boring drummers and tritone breakdowns. Then there are several vocalists always double tracking vocals that have no balls and sound like a 12 year old trying to growl for the first time. Lastly instead of songs about being an asshole in a hxc brocore crew, being an angstry scene teen, Stupid, relationships you never had, or jesus(like some christian core bands) for example, they unsuccessfully try to ripoff cliche themes and titles from c-list death metal bands that broke up in 2002. Instead of being, vulgar, offesive or at all brutal however, just like any metalcore song, they just come off as extremely cheesy pg-13 lyrics and a bunch of random themes made by putting a couple of unrelated yet br00tal(as brutal as a pansy) sounding words that will sell cd's to kids at hot topic.

WHile there are a few bands that incorporate limited deathcore i can say are at least decent but only bc they have interesting gimmicks that are still novel. Most are trash and even those bands would be much better if they forgot deathcore ever existed and stop playing cheesified riffs!

Here is an example of what I mean in that last paragraph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncPQ5eb6bL8

That is an epic piece of work. Hilarious to read that take, of which, I have no qualms.

And, after checking that link I'm both surprised and stunned that I agree so very well. I just had to tolerate a set from said 'Rings Of Saturn' the other night waiting for Decapitated to come on and destroy the place. You can read my thoughts on Rings of Saturn yet also the good bands who played on the same bill, here: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1951376#p1951376
30.10.2011 - 04:35
There are some great deathcore bands out there like Sever All Ties and All Shall Perish, but they all get lumped in with scene core garbage like Whitechapel or Suicide Silence.