Metal Storm logo
The best live band

Original post

Posted by Warman, 26.06.2006 - 22:20
Shortly, which band is according to you the best live band?
26.10.2011 - 02:10
ANGEL REAPER

BURZUM! nah i am kidding ...
I cant choose between Iron Maiden ,Arch Enemy and Immortal...some of them...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.10.2011 - 17:20
arwestromen

Haven't seen that many metal acts live but Maiden is the best so far
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
26.10.2011 - 21:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Anathema were probably the best live band I've seen, but they again, they are not very metal now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.12.2011 - 20:21
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Iron Maiden without a doubt, even though they're all over 50, they're all still the best at their instruments.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
18.12.2011 - 23:07
NecroCorpSlayer

Behemoth, they have the best stage presence I've ever seen.
27.12.2011 - 04:15
Sentinel65

Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Metallica
27.12.2011 - 04:50
NLthrasher

Rush, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Rammstein
27.12.2011 - 15:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Valentin B on 28.07.2008 at 10:31

lol.. i saw only one dude mention manowar... what is wrong with you people? lol in bulgaria when they played that 6 hour or so gig they brought a choir on stage and played "Warriors of the World United"... i mean how awesome can you get? there truly is no other band like manowar...

oh god, the fact that I wrote this before I actually saw Manowar in concert says it all haha.

I have since seen them twice and I am positive they can still put on a good show if they want to, but unfortunately both times went from either good moments to really boring/cringing moments. Dammit, they played a sloppy and obviously unrehearsed version of "Heaven and Hell" and then of course there's Joey's neverending speeches, which were funny in some points but completely devoid of any real meaning overall..

Right now it's pretty hard for me to determine which bands are best in concert. My top 3 best shows are Saxon at Wacken 2009 (third), Accept at Sonisphere (second) and Priest at Rock the City this year (first).

While the first two were almost one-off performances (Accept had only a few 2-hour shows that summer and Saxon's was a retrospective), Priest did a whole summer/autumn tour of shows averaging 2 hours and 15 minutes in length with the same setlist. I had some luck too probably and caught them on a great day as the sound quality and performance was absolutely perfect, unlike a few other videos I've seen on youtube.

As for overall, including bands I've never seen I'd say Maiden in the early 80s, for reasons stated over and over in this thread.

As for bands I've seen myself, my choices are (to give bands from different genres) AC/DC, Stu Bloc era Iced Earth and Machine Head. AC/DC constantly out-rock bands with a median age that's half of theirs, and always deliver a great show with amazing visuals and tons of energy.

Machine Head on the other hand are absolutely pure metal, the performance is always great, the sound is beastly, and of course Robb Flynn knows how to get a crowd going. Crowd participation is a huge part of a MH show from what I see, "Halo" live at Sonisphere UK is just magnificent.

aand Iced Earth makes my top 3 because of regardless of how technical their music is, they almost always manage to kill live (I watched the live webcast of their Graspop show where Seele fucked up the solo on "Declaration Day" but aside from that I've yet to hear them doing mistakes on stage), and if they had a bit more of a visual element to their shows they would probably be in the absolute world metal best where a band of this quality deserves to be.
06.03.2012 - 19:21
Infernal Eternal

Obviously IM. I saw HELL live once and they were awesome too.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
06.03.2012 - 21:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I hear Immortal and Behemoth are pretty good live, same with Shining.

Of the bands I've seen, Cancer Bats was pretty awesome.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.03.2012 - 15:46
Branzig

I know it will be hard to be taken serious saying this...but older Gwar put on one hell of a good show, and it was always a good time. Even recently they still do pretty well.

Possessed was a really good concert, watching Jeff Becerra rock out in his wheel chair was really inspiring, he kicks ass too!
----
In Grind We Crust
09.03.2012 - 17:33
DJ Mythos

Immolation
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
10.03.2012 - 13:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Apart from Anathema, I have to mention Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Then Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy from the ones I've seen.
----

My Instagram
10.03.2012 - 19:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Rush, Iron Maiden are my favs
----
rekt
11.03.2012 - 01:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 10.03.2012 at 13:22

Apart from Anathema, I have to mention Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Then Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy from the ones I've seen.

Out of the gazzillion bands I have seen live Dream Theater is one of the worst.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2012 - 01:29
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.03.2012 at 01:11

I agree with you, I cant imagine Dream Theaters music translating very well into a live setting at all and judging by what I have seen online they sound very mediocre live.
11.03.2012 - 05:24
Branzig

I could only imagine. That shit gives me a migraine from the studio versions, I can only imagine how bad it would sound un-edited and not doctored up.
----
In Grind We Crust
11.03.2012 - 10:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema

Why? I disagree, obviously. It's not boring to me on record neither is it live, except for the last album
----

My Instagram
22.03.2012 - 01:49
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Isis anyone?
----
23.11.2012 - 11:02
LichBorne

Guys, guys, guys... Iced Earth! They are great live. and don't get me wrong, I looooove Metallica, but they are awefull live. Heatfield' s voice is terrible!
23.11.2012 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LichBorne on 23.11.2012 at 11:02

Guys, guys, guys... Iced Earth! They are great live. and don't get me wrong, I looooove Metallica, but they are awefull live. Heatfield' s voice is terrible!

Have you seen those bands live
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2012 - 14:55
Paz

Sunn O))) gig is (supposedly) an unforgettable experience. I'd love to see them live. Folks don't know what to do... I love it.

23.11.2012 - 16:24
ANGEL REAPER

I still think that any band that make you feel good/astonished on their show is good live band -> if you a fan of it, than its the best live band....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.11.2012 - 16:38
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Warman on 26.06.2006 at 23:35

The band I must see live is Norther, if I don't ... I'll die unhappy!

Apparently I'll die "unhappy".
----
23.11.2012 - 17:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Warman on 23.11.2012 at 16:38

Written by Warman on 26.06.2006 at 23:35

The band I must see live is Norther, if I don't ... I'll die unhappy!

Apparently I'll die "unhappy".

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.11.2012 - 20:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Fucking Gwar !!!! out of those I've seen, they were the best live act.

A close second would have to be Municipal Waste & Maiden.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.11.2012 - 10:44
stocktonrocks

KISS and Iron Maiden.....I am so thankful that I have been catching them both live since the early 80's and I am lucky enough to still be able to see them and both bands have gotten better and better!!
24.11.2012 - 12:06
Dinruth

Primordial .. and Rammstein of course
25.11.2012 - 12:15
LichBorne

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2012 at 14:37

Written by LichBorne on 23.11.2012 at 11:02

Have you seen those bands live

yes. both of them. Iced Earth last year, and metallica this year.
25.11.2012 - 19:55
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Iron Maiden and Katatonia are both fucking amazing live. Wintersun is also!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).