‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]
Users visited: 459  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Dane Train on 07.09.2008 at 00:33
I just read this article and found it was kind of interesting. What do you all think of this study? Article. Are Metalheads really creative and gentle? Are there good examples of this? Or was this "study" based on bad research?

---

Moderator edit: As the link above has ceased working, you can read about it at here instead:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm

Page 6 of 6

Ganondox

07.10.2014 at 08:29
Written by Costa on 04.07.2011 at 18:43

I can easily remember been stereotyped because some people found out that I like heavy metal. And I really hate that…
So I prefer to be just a common person who, among other genres, likes Heavy Metal.

At most I look at this as statistics about the music genres people listen. And statistics says that if half of the world eats a chicken per day and the other half are starving on the average there's no problem, every one eats half a chicken per day.
So it means what it means… Each one is like she/he is.

This isn't stereotyping, it's generalizing, there is a pretty big difference. For one, the stereotypical metalhead is the opposite of what the study found. Also, the chicken analogy is bs, because statisticians would account for that, they would noticed if there was two separate populations like that, it would result in an abnormally high standard of deviation for one.

Anyway, I think it's a decently accurate generalization, but obviously it's not true for everyone. It definitely describes me.

Written by Evil Chip on 29.09.2012 at 05:37

Sociology... How can you meseaure with quantified measures a quality like personality. How the fuck can you measure creativity?

You use operationalized definitions which are both objective and qualitative. Obviously they aren't the exact same thing as what they are trying to measure, and that's where validity comes in. Anyway, the Big 5 traits, which is what is being used here, is one of the most studied personality indexes, and it has proven to do very well.
ThunderAxe1989
Irreligious

18.10.2014 at 18:27
I'm not surprised by this study.

Also, what might mean something, many metal fans tend to be Atheist, demographics have shown that Atheists are less likely to commit a violent crime, so that might play into it a little bit.
Ganondox

20.10.2014 at 08:43
Written by ThunderAxe1989 on 18.10.2014 at 18:27

Also, what might mean something, many metal fans tend to be Atheist, demographics have shown that Atheists are less likely to commit a violent crime, so that might play into it a little bit.

I doubt that has anything to do with it, that seems to just be confusing correlation with causation.
ThunderAxe1989
Irreligious

22.10.2014 at 04:06
Written by Ganondox on 20.10.2014 at 08:43

Written by ThunderAxe1989 on 18.10.2014 at 18:27

I doubt that has anything to do with it, that seems to just be confusing correlation with causation.

I was actually really trying not to say that (I know correlation does not equal causation).

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]

Login or register to post here.