Metal Storm logo
Study shows heavy metal fans are "gentle and creative."

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 07.09.2008 - 00:33
I just read this article and found it was kind of interesting. What do you all think of this study? Article. Are Metalheads really creative and gentle? Are there good examples of this? Or was this "study" based on bad research?

---

Moderator edit: As the link above has ceased working, you can read about it at here instead:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm
16.04.2009 - 21:42
Ragana
Rawrcat
Shhh, I said creativity and there will be creativity. Mhh, and laziness... that's definitely my case.
17.04.2009 - 04:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 24.10.2008 at 01:58

do you ever hear in the news of members from metal bands getting into reckless driving accidents due to a stressful day or going after someone like pop stars, getting into brawls like rappers, etc, etc...? hell no!

Are you serious?

Um, the Norwegian BM scene of the early 90's kinda had a few altercations with the law from what I can recall.

and that's just playing Captain Obvious.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2009 - 07:04
tulkas
el parcero
Written by BitterCOld on 17.04.2009 at 04:41

Are you serious?

Um, the Norwegian BM scene of the early 90's kinda had a few altercations with the law from what I can recall.

and that's just playing Captain Obvious.

but it wasn't anythng serious, just a minor event that few people recall
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.04.2009 - 11:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Metalhead2 on 12.04.2009 at 23:40

True metal heads have high self esteem and are introvert(I guess that those 2 characteristics are equivalent)

Your dictating what "true" metalheads behaviour is like now?! Man....I suppose you true metalheads should all have your own schools and special uniforms now too I suppose? Almost every piece of your post can be contradicted with a couple thousand examples...but I'm at a loss for words, so I'll let a picture talk for me:

----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.12.2009 - 15:37
SerratedSyringe

I think this study may be on the right track, however a lot more research is needed before it can be considered accurate.

I have not gone out and done a whole study on the matter, but I will share my personal outlook, and what I have observed in other metal fans.

Most metal fans I know (including myself) are very creative, hardworking (but only when the work interests them, otherwise they are pretty lazy), not outgoing, and gentle, but assertive.

Obviously everyone is different, and sweeping generalizations are a poor way to observe a group of people, but these are just some traits I have noticed over and over again.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
12.12.2009 - 02:14
Warlock84

I think overall most metalheads are much gentler than their demeanor, and if respected will eagerly return that respect. That's just me though, and my opinion. Creative... well that's just obvious- look at all the bands and genres that exist under the moniker of "metal." Prime example of creative and gentle by the way is a no brainer... Dimebag. Enough said.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
28.01.2010 - 23:12
caimanjosh

The "not outgoing" part at least seems on target to me....obviously there are no rules that are true for everyone, but look at your typical pop listener and your typical metal fan and I would suspect the metaler is more likely to be the quiet type.
31.01.2010 - 19:03
I_Die_Often

I do believe there are many creative and gentle "metalheads", but they are not in the pit, and maybe not even at the shows, but still love their music just as passionately, and maybe even more so.
You don't have to be an asshole to be a "metalhead"!
And part of being creative, is not following the flock, we are not going to listen to something just because its popular (except for you emocore people...) or because the media tells us it's popular and good.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.02.2010 - 05:33
FOOCK Nam

Im very gentle in real life but never in online. Observationally, metal is blast music, it help releasing stress and healing so gentle come in surface when communication with metalheads. I only met true metalheads actually, true here I mean they listen a lot of bands and playing guitar. One of them very gentle when talking and using big serious words, the other two are very soft even they are tall and big.
01.02.2010 - 20:14
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Metal fans gentle? riiight...just try and tell someone on here that their favorite band sucks ass and see how "gentle" they are, instead you summoned a demon! lol

About creative Im not sure....Im creative and finished my degree in Architecture but that has more to do with my inherent curiosity of wondering how things work and creating spaces that enhance quality of living, which is just a personality thing or maybe it happened by chance. I do agree that metalheads in general are more inclined to be somewhat quiet and hence, invest a lot of time thinking and being in their "own little worlds" so who knows, maybe that leads to some creativity now and then.

It also depends what is meant be creativity....these days everyone considers themselves an "artist" or a "creative"...so the term is pretty subjective.
01.02.2010 - 23:37
MetallicA

Well, the original link doesn't work anymore...probably cause it's from 2008. I'd like to see it, oh well.

I think for the most part metalheads are creative in some way. I can draw really well and my boyfriend is writing a killer novel. And someone else made the point of all the sub-genres of metal that exist...it definitely takes creativity to create all those sub-genres!

As for being gentle...it really depends on the person or even the group of people you're around. I can get real fired up and I can be very nice. I'm nice most of the time and I think that goes for anyone, not just metalheads. You're gonna have your douchebags in every scene, ya know?

As for most metalheads being introverted, I definitely think that's true but I'm definitely out the norm in this category! I'm very outgoing and I can be loud and obnoxious and I laugh alot. In general, I'm a very happy person and I hate people who talk about how life sucks and who just bring the mood down. I don't think all metalheads do that but it definitely is irritating when anyone does that. Being introverted is fine but not when you think you're better than everyone else and when you're just a downer.

Someone mentioned metalheads don't have much drama with others and I think that's true 99% of the time! Most of my metalhead friends don't have stupid drama issues and alot of my non-metalhead friends tend to have more drama. I fucking hate drama (yeah, me and my boyfriend may get into it sometimes but I'm not counting that. I'm talking about who slept with who, who took who's money or drugs, who lied to who and shit like that.)
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
02.02.2010 - 13:33
Yäzork

Creative? Yeah, maybe. Gentle? I depends on the person you're talking to.
----
last.fm
03.02.2010 - 21:20
Eddie
Retired Mod.
It's interesting to see the relation between Metalfans and personality described in this fasion; gentle and creative. It's a nice change for the ever present and rather overwhelming amount of research about music and problem behaviour (external, as violence, and internal, as depression, for that matter). And as a short and stereotypical conclusion of all that research it is said that Metalfans are generally more likely to dive into problem behaviour - where girls are more internal and guys external in general. But whether the problem behaviour results from Metal, or Metal creates problem behaviour is still unclear - though there is somewhat of a concensus that 'troubled' youth are attracted to 'troubled' music, but it's probably a mix of both. This pretty much creates and accepts already excisting stereotypes about Metalfans. But this study could very well set the road open for a fresh perspective on the relation between Metal and personality!

I do wonder how this study was undertaken though. Adrian North talks about participants, but I wonder how the information was gotten from them, prob a questionairre of some sort, taking the scale into account. North has undertaken quite a bit of research already on the subject, so the results on basis of professional credibility can be taken seriously in my opinion. It's weird though that I haven't come across this research in my study as of yet, it seems quite substantial.
04.02.2010 - 00:21
Scorched Earth

Low self esteem: seems people I know just don't care.
Creative: I agree.
Not hard working: I agree, unless it comes to the music.
Not outgoing: I agree, unless its at a show, then it seems like everyone is already friends
Gentle: Disagree
At Ease: Disagree

Forget stereotypes
05.02.2010 - 23:42
Misandry

Written by Doc G. on 17.04.2009 at 11:26

Your dictating what "true" metalheads behaviour is like now?! Man....I suppose you true metalheads should all have your own schools and special uniforms now too I suppose? Almost every piece of your post can be contradicted with a couple thousand examples...but I'm at a loss for words, so I'll let a picture talk for me:

Pfft. Haha, that was wonderful. I just felt like you should know that I appreciate that.

As for being a "Delicate thing", I have to say... Not so much, no. I mean, I'm not exactly the most likely candidate to blow up a schoolbus or anything, but I'm also not likely to start crying about how no one understands me, blah blah blah. I think there is also an essential flaw in the way they went about grouping the genres of music. Because 'Rock' is not the same thing as heavy metal. Therefore; the fans are not necessarily the same - or even similar. I feel that in some ways this study could be correct - but in others it is definitely not accurate enough.
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
06.02.2010 - 18:55
arwestromen

Define gentle
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
10.02.2010 - 03:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I dont buy into all this "troubled people are drawn to metal" bullshit. You get just as many fucked up and troubled people who listen nothing remotely close to metal as you do metalheads who are very decent and normal human beings.

The fact that some people are drawn to metal is just a personality thing...which is different to someone being considered troubled. I agree that metalheads are probably less outgoing, I am quite laidback and not very "social" myself most of the times. But its not like I had some fucked up childhood and listen to metal as an "escape" or whatever else....I think its purely coincidence that it appealed to me at a young age.

And those "troubled" youths people always talk about who go out and massacre had issues that had to be dealt with on a medical level and would have surfaced regardless of what they listen to. I dont know, perhaps some people are really fucking impressionable and if a band sings about killing they will go do it - I think that has more to do with stupidity and some chemical imbalance than anything.
26.03.2010 - 20:59
flickaa

Not hard working: I don't agree............... i hate to talk about myself... but i am very hard working... alot of people know me as a work-a-holic =P

My guess is... these researchers are stereotyping people by their taste in music... I don't believe they should label ppls' personality traits, depending on the music people listen to.
27.03.2010 - 12:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by flickaa on 26.03.2010 at 20:59

Not hard working: I don't agree............... i hate to talk about myself... but i am very hard working... alot of people know me as a work-a-holic =P

My guess is... these researchers are stereotyping people by their taste in music... I don't believe they should label ppls' personality traits, depending on the music people listen to.

I agree...but do you think certain types of people are drawn to metal? I think personality has something to do with it, or perhaps something they're predisposed to like. I know it sounds kinda silly to label peoples' personalities depending on their music, when you say it like that it actually sounds stupid and I agree with you very much But I think it must have SOMETHING to do with your personality at a deeper level.

You will probably agree that not all people who listen to metal fall into the clique description of unambitious, loudmouth, alcoholic losers - but I think those are more traits due to external circumstances and thats where the researchers get it wrong. I think it might have something to do with one's love for music combined with a need for independence or independant thought to an extent.

I dont know, I think im confusing myself here

p.s You're right about the hard working part, Im one of the most hard-working people i know! But Im also the most untidy and scatterbrain, Ive never met a neat metalhead so maybe thats something to go by instead haha
27.03.2010 - 17:51
flickaa

Written by Guest on 27.03.2010 at 12:38

Written by flickaa on 26.03.2010 at 20:59

hahahaha omg same here dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im such a messy person.. hey ill get back to u on this diskussion... speaking of hard working people i gotta go to work XD.

I agree...but do you think certain types of people are drawn to metal? I think personality has something to do with it, or perhaps something they're predisposed to like. I know it sounds kinda silly to label peoples' personalities depending on their music, when you say it like that it actually sounds stupid and I agree with you very much But I think it must have SOMETHING to do with your personality at a deeper level.

You will probably agree that not all people who listen to metal fall into the clique description of unambitious, loudmouth, alcoholic losers - but I think those are more traits due to external circumstances and thats where the researchers get it wrong. I think it might have something to do with one's love for music combined with a need for independence or independant thought to an extent.

I dont know, I think im confusing myself here

p.s You're right about the hard working part, Im one of the most hard-working people i know! But Im also the most untidy and scatterbrain, Ive never met a neat metalhead so maybe thats something to go by instead haha
27.03.2010 - 18:35
Bleed4Metal

The most creative thing i've ever done is making a bong out of house hold items.. and as far as being gental goes... yea I dont think so. I mean I dont go around punching people in the face but I dont let people shit on me eaither. Some guy says an asshole thing to me im not going to ignor it and walk away, that dude will get a bar stool across is head.
27.03.2010 - 18:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Bleed4Metal on 27.03.2010 at 18:35

The most creative thing i've ever done is making a bong out of house hold items.. and as far as being gental goes... yea I dont think so. I mean I dont go around punching people in the face but I dont let people shit on me eaither. Some guy says an asshole thing to me im not going to ignor it and walk away, that dude will get a bar stool across is head.

That's pretty damn creative... otherwise you would have to go to the store and look suspicious buying pvc piping and a detachable pipe bowl. Also you can be gentle and still not take shit from people, like an iron fist inside a velvet glove...
27.03.2010 - 18:49
Bleed4Metal

Written by Introspekrieg on 27.03.2010 at 18:44

Written by Bleed4Metal on 27.03.2010 at 18:35

That's pretty damn creative... otherwise you would have to go to the store and look suspicious buying pvc piping and a detachable pipe bowl. Also you can be gentle and still not take shit from people, like an iron fist inside a velvet glove...

Iron fist inside a velvet glove... I like that... Oh and I have gone to the hardware store to build a pipe... I named is isle 5
27.03.2010 - 19:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Bleed4Metal on 27.03.2010 at 18:49

Iron fist inside a velvet glove... I like that... Oh and I have gone to the hardware store to build a pipe... I named is isle 5

Haha that's awesome

"Cleanup on aisle 5" you hear that all the time in stores, but why is aisle 5 always the one where accidents happen?
27.03.2010 - 19:24
Bleed4Metal

Written by Introspekrieg on 27.03.2010 at 19:05

Written by Bleed4Metal on 27.03.2010 at 18:49

Haha that's awesome

"Cleanup on aisle 5" you hear that all the time in stores, but why is aisle 5 always the one where accidents happen?

haha I guess its where all the pot heads go to make pipes
28.03.2010 - 17:32
meddle

I agree and disagree. metalheads...ya not always so gentle creative though oh ya defenitely
----
mr.chips
11.06.2010 - 23:03
busta5000
Account deleted
Don't get me wrong but if I was gentle & creative I would have listened to the pussy music pop but I listen to metal but I do have a heart but its full of realism & emotion.
15.06.2010 - 10:40
SerratedSyringe

Does it mean gentle by intention or action? I'm a pretty nice guy, and for the most part I wouldn't try to harm anyone, however I have unintentionally sent several people to the emergency room.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
18.06.2010 - 02:27
Quetzalcoatl

I'm not too gentle.....and i couldn't consider myself a creative being.
18.06.2010 - 05:03
ToMegaTherion

I think it is a very broad statement that is very presumptus and quite lacking in detail. To ask if all metalheads are creative in gentle is like say all ducks are black, there are probably plenty who fall under this category even if they won't admit it publicly. But it is very broad since many serial killers also listen to metal, not that the two are connected but just an example of just how broad this statement is. It doesn't take into account just how diverse metalheads think about it, if nearly every country/ culture is represented just on metalstorm, that makes for a lot of different people with one thing in common, we are here because we like metal. At the same time I've heard many stories of metal musicians doing amazing things for people. Dave Mustaine now helps under privilaged kids get themselves clean of drugs in his spare time.

I don't think the research is bad but its very broad and probably taken from a servey handed out to people in the USA or UK or somewhere. Basically what i'm saying is if this is the conclusion for metalheads in one place then they should state that clearly and do further research. I would be curious to see exactly what make metal so appealing to people, not like other genres of music, metalheads are passionate about their music, how many metalheads here could honestly say they only have a handfull of metal mp3s or cds... no metalhead will have a collection of a dozen gig of metal or more. or in old terms 250 cds or more