03. Red Clouds
04. Quicksand Symmetry
05. Swallow The Flame
06. Ocean Grave
07. A Mirror Behind
08. Come Forth My Dreadfull One
09. Shattered Lives And Broken Dreams
10. Colors Of A New Era

Round 2 for Italians Disarmonia Mundi, this time finally under a label and with the proper support that their music deserves.
My story with this band goes more than a year ago, when I was blown out by their excellent self-released debut album "Nebularium" (also reviewed on the site), I was really impressed with the record and I was eagerly waiting their sophomore effort.

Some line up changes took place when writing material for the album, being the most important the departure of vocalist Benny Bianco Chinto (who also did for us a song by song of the debut album), I must say that I was a little worried about the departure of Benny, because their vocals was one of the best assets of the band. After a while the band got a new vocalist, Bjorn "Speed" Strid, yes, vocalist of Soilwork.

Error number 1: picking as a singer the vocalist of a band that everyone is ripping-off, meaning, clones of Soilwork can be found everywhere nowadays!
Error number 2: Not creating the music much different than Soilwork, meaning, this could be easily the next Soilwork album?
Error number 3: The album was mastered in Sweden, adding more "Soilworkness" to the sound.

Yes I know, my review is one big complain, but this has to be one of my biggest disappointments of the year, I was expecting a killer album full of innovation, instead I got a Soilwork album, and the worst part is, that you won't find no review which don't mention that Disarmonia Mundi sounds just like Soilwork.

Nevertheless, I must admit that this is a great album, is not remotely as good as "Nebularium", but it got its moments, like "Red Clouds", "Quicksand Symmetry", "A Mirror Behind" and my personal favorite "Oceangrave". The use of samples give the music an special touch I must admit, they keyboard and electronic samples makes the overall experience more interesting, the cover art is very nice also.

Even if I'm disappointed at this release, is still a good album, enjoyable and well crafted, too bad that their influences took over their music and their individuality was left over at "Nebularium", my advice? Fire Bjorn Strid and return to the initial path, until then, the Soilwork tag will be always a part of the band.

Written by Undercraft | 24.08.2004

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 66 users
09.09.2008 - 18:56
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Nice catchy songs and rather confident. Only problem is that the formula gets old fast and by the 5th song you listen to (even if its one you really liked and played more than once), gets kind of bland and repetitive. Still not terrible and has some redeaming qualities. 7/20
29.01.2009 - 14:30
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
What has melodic death metal come to? 5.5/10
20.12.2010 - 12:31
Homer S.
Account deleted
"Disarmonia Mundi sounds just like Soilwork"

Man, what an understatement! I mean, if I didn't know better, I would have thought that Soilwork are known as Disarmonia Mundi in Italy!

Good review regardless.

Hits total: 4505 | This month: 11