Metal Storm logo
Pantera v.s. Exhorder

10.09.2008 - 00:52
Thrash666
A arguement for a true metal fan.

For years metalheads have argued about who is better and how Pantera stole Exhorders sound. That the Cowboys from Hell era is completely copying Exhorder's and Pantera stole the spotlight from Exhorder.

For me Pantera is the first metal band I ever heard and Vuglar Display Of Power is one of my favorite albums so I am a die hard fan of Pantera. But Exhorder is an amazing band. They are one of the most underrated bands. Slaughter In The Vatican is a thrash metal gem and doesn't get no where near enough credit for its influence. I dont think Pantera stole Exhorder's sound, they borrowed some stuff here and there but who doesn't borrow riffs from other bands?? I think both bands kick fucking ass and Exhorder should get waaaaaaaaay more respect.

So thats how I feel, but what about everyone else?? What do you guys think??
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
10.09.2008 - 09:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This shood be poll , but ok
I saw Exhorder because Pantera is one of rear thrash bands waht I dont like, if thay play intsrumental songs, ok, but I dont like vocals in that band , realy in this case I prefere Exhorder
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2008 - 13:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, true - Pantera did take a lot of Exhorder's sound. We aren't in any position to judge whether the Pantera guys consciously chose to play just like Exhorder or not, but what they did do was take the sound Exhorder had and make it very popular themselves.
Both are great bands, and yeh - Exhorder are very uncredited for what they did for (groove) thrash metal - "Slaughter In The Vatican" is a great album indeed.
10.09.2008 - 17:16
totaliteraliter
Written by Thrash666 on 10.09.2008 at 00:52
Slaughter In The Vatican is a thrash metal gem and doesn't get no where near enough credit for its influence.

I agree, but swap "credit" for "blame". I think I'll abstain from voting; it's a third rate thrash band vs. toughguy groove crap. Both get better the drunker you get, of course, but I don't really give much praise for bands being good mindless fun. Both bands are overshadowed by better bands. Exhorder, despite their somewhat unique approach are rarely marginally more interesting than their contemporaries. Pantera is a panel of idiots creating music as dumb as possible, with a variety of side-projects showing just how much certain members were holding back (and no, I'm not talking about Damageplan and Hellyeah).
10.09.2008 - 22:02
Thrash666
Written by Bad English on 10.09.2008 at 09:53

This shood be poll , but ok
I saw Exhorder because Pantera is one of rear thrash bands waht I dont like, if thay play intsrumental songs, ok, but I dont like vocals in that band , realy in this case I prefere Exhorder

Ya now that I think about it i should of made it a poll but whatever
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
12.09.2008 - 00:51
accursed
Account deleted
.Its not fair for me to vote since i never gave exhorder a real listen to... I do like pantera. Someday i will give exhorder a listen.
16.11.2008 - 05:06
I searched for an Exhorder thread and couldn't find one...this probably isn't the best place to ask, but is The Law or Slaughter of the Vatican the better album by Exhorder?
16.11.2008 - 17:41
Thanks I'll be sure to check that one out in attempt to get to know some of the thrash classics.

As for Exhorder vs Pantera, I have no idea, but may have a better idea after giving them a few listens.
02.01.2009 - 23:16
V8Thrasher
Hmmm personally i say Pantera. yes yes its true they "stole" the sound if thats the way you wanna put it. i recall reading that when Pantera first started out, they heard Exhorder's sound, and really liked it. by no means did they mean to "steal" the sound, they thought it was cool and wanted to sound like that.

i also recall reading that "The thing I hate the most of this topic is just how handcuffed we are to their success. Did they rip us off? Possibly. Was it deliberate? Maybe. Were they influenced by us? Definitely. Did they work a helluva lot harder than we did? Absolutely. Case closed." -Kyle Thomas
taken from http://midwestmetalmagazine.com/interviewalabamathunder.html.

so it seems to me Exhorder made it, Pantera just distributed it and made it more well known, and worked alot harder towards it. plus members of both bands are pals lol.
22.05.2009 - 23:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's obvious that Pantera was influenced by Exhorder, but it seems that Exhorder tried to sound more like Pantera with The Law. Sure, Cowboys From Hell is a little similar to Slaughter at the Vatican, mainly cuz of the vocals, but The Law by Exhorder seems more like a direct rip off from Pantera than Pantera did from Exhorder. Nevertheless, Cowboys From Hell and The Law are fucking great albums.
23.05.2009 - 01:09
ForeverDarkWoods
Exhorder is basically what Pantera would have sounded like if they were good, and had a little different approach to thrash. Exhorder was a much less groovy Pantera with better riffs, a heavier sound and a meaner attitude, while they still managed to maintain the old school feeling that Pantera sometimes lost. In my world, no matter who ripped off who, Exhorder is the better band. I also hate a lot of the hype surrounding Pantera in general and Dimebag in particular. He wasn't the "greatest guitar god in the world" and shouldn't be idolized as such.

What's better? Who's to say, really? I just don't think Pantera were any good personally, and I can't really see what's so appealing about them since they completely lack the thrash attitude (which Exhorder didn't, at least not on Slaughter In The Vatican that is). I also personally blame Pantera for the corruption of thrash metal and the creation of the shitfest called groove metal, but that's a completely different story.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.05.2009 - 15:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I just love these sorts of threads where people (who weren't around back then or into thrash metal back then) somehow think that Exhorder was of any importance back in the day. Yes, Slaughter In The Vatican was a good album but didn't any impact whatsoever on the thrash scene or any other scene back then (same for The Law btw). As for Exhorder influencing Pantera... Pantera was a smuch an influence on Exhorder. Hell, those guys were ALL god friends at the time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2009 - 02:06
Razorback
Pantera,amazing pantera.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
07.08.2010 - 14:15
MetalFist
Account deleted
Pantera is better in my opinion, even though Exhorder 'started' groove metal.
07.08.2010 - 17:38
vezzy
Stallmanite
Exhorder are better, in my mind. Better riffing and more technicality.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.