03. Behind The Mirror's Eye
04. To Wait For Fire
05. As Darkness Casts Its Veil
06. Sleeping With The Worms
07. Save Me
08. Start Again
09. Living To Die [Demo 95' bonus]
10. God Wanted (Apply Here) [Demo 95' bonus]

So my friends, have a guess where this band, Diphtheria come from? The combo originates from Cyprus, a place, I must admit, I'd never have associated with metal. But hey, you always learn something new. They play a pretty much oldschool type of Heavy metal, reminiscent of bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon and Judas Priest, without copying their work though. Also add a shot of traditional German power metal and a few more traditional-doom-metallish passages and you'll get quite close. This band has been around since 1993 and released two demo's in the 90ies as well as contributing to some compilations. To Wait For Fire is the groups first complete album however.

The very first thing that jumps into the listeners ear is the "oldschool" production and the tight heavy metal riffing. I have no idea if it's intentional or not, but the whole production seems to be in a mid-80ies style. For the biggest part of the CD this fits the music perfectly, but on some songs, like the first one for instance, you can hear way too little bass.

Guitars are the main focusing part of the entire music. Most of the songs mainly build on the riffs, the drumming and vocals serving as pillars. Apropos vocals, they remind me of Bruce Dickinson on some parts, in terms of style and versatility, just a little bit less good. (Not that they aren't good here, but Bruce is one of my top favorite vocalists.) In general the music doesn't sound bad at all, but a bit unoriginal. If this release would have been around twenty years ago, it would have fit exactly into the current metal scene and have sounded like thousands of other bands around.

So to sum this up I'll say "To Wait For Fire" is a not at all bad traditional sounding album, but to be honest, instead of throwing this CD into my player I'd prefer an album that doesn't only sound, but also is old. Judas Priest, Saxon, Iron Maiden, even Manowar, Gamma Ray and Helloween for example, those were the bands that made this kind of music back in the days, and they did pretty much all that was to be done with that typical sound they produced.

PS: The bonus track from the 95' Demo titled "God Wanted (Apply Here)" is a really great song, easily the best track on the release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written by Bas | 18.06.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 15 users
10.09.2008 - 18:02
sevendeadlysins
Account deleted
Very Good band!Check them out!