08. À Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) [feat. Cristina Scabbia]
09. Amerikhastan
10. You're Dead
11. Burnt Ice
12. Out On The Tiles [Led Zeppelin cover] [Japanese bonus]
13. Black Swan [Special edition bonus]
14. The Bodies Left Behind [Special edition bonus]
15. Special Live Track[Special edition bonus] [live]

Who thought that Dave Mustaine, after being kicked out of Metallica, would be able to unleash one of the best known and most successful thrash acts in the metal world? Who thought that Megadeth would succeed to get a rightful place in the "big four" of the thrash metal bands along with Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer? Well I personally think that all the credit goes to those three words " Rust In Peace ", the band's 1990 landmark album. No matter what Megadeth produce, if it's good, we will obviously love it and if it's bad we will eventually end up making excuses for it, simply because Rust In Peace is a masterpiece from the past which permantly continue to cast a shadow over anything Megadeth have done or ever will do. Oh yes, 1990 is a year to be remembered, 2007 is a year to be forgotten for who's claiming to be the Uncle Sam of metal.

The album starts off with "Sleepwalker", an instant classic that could have easily been on the Rust In Peace album, great riffs, pummeling drumwork and blazing solos, probably the album's best song. "Washington Is Next", the second track, it gets better each time I hear it. By keeping the same previous song's upbeat pace, it retains the heavy and menacing riffage before returning to a killer mid paced tempos. And that's all folks, the majority of the remaining tracks is for me a total waste of space and time, some of them don't quite keep up the standard?I mean why the hell did Megadeth re-release " A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) " ? What's wrong with the original? Unfortunately, in comparison to the old version it pales and doesn't fit well on the album. Cristina Scabbia, as lovely as she is, does nothing special with her appearance. Dave Mustaine on the other hand seems to have the Linkin Park syndrome going on. Don't get me wrong, it's still a Megadeth album, but it's too safe, too commercial and too far away from Rust In Peace. But you know what, we shouldn't compare Megadeth's new effort to RIP or Metallica's Death Magnetic to Master Of Puppets or The Black Album. Each album has its own signature and that's exactly what makes " the big four " the leaders and after all, diversity is good isn't it ?

Overall, United Abominations is average comparing to Megadeth's previous efforts, but again I remind you it's worth picking up, at least to decorate your room, but I ensure you, it has its own memorable moments and it would be a shame to miss it. However, Megadeth should take some rest and stop releasing albums for a while. I remember saying this somewhere, Dave is a good composer and a great guitarist but when it comes to singing, he should think again because if he thinks that he's a singer, not a good singer, just a singer, then Palestinians and Jews are dancing arm in arm in the streets of Hebrew?So do yourself a favor, look for a new vocalist and run for president.

Written by Mindheist | 12.09.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Here it is, the latest release from the 'Dave Mustaine Experience'. One thing I have noticed is there doesn't seem to be one person standing middle-ground on this album, it's either a love or hate type thing. I'll try and put my sentimental attachments to this album aside and look at it from a rational point of view.

Read more ››
published 02.10.2007 | Comments (22)

Guest review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
In Megadeth's catalogue, United Abominations sits in an awkward place coming right after a great comeback album, The System Has Failed, and right before an even greater comeback album, Endgame. Yet it is better than neither of the two. I have no idea what Dave was trying to do on this album. It's not a failure by any means, but isn't an excellent album either and, as I've noticed, disappointed many old-school Megadeth fans.

Read more ››
published 31.07.2011 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 170 users
12.09.2008 - 02:00
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I shouldn't have rated the album from first because "the arsenal of Megadeth" including many of you guys just focuse on the rating and ignore the review, so please, read it before trashing me. Ahh before I forget, I usually don't reply to your comments because as you know, I respect your opinion and there's no need to waste time as Dave did on UA, but sometimes some of you succeed to provocate me which is almost impossible but who knows. May the luck be with you. All Hail Marty Friedman the key to Megadeth's glory. See you folks!
12.09.2008 - 02:24
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Nah, that's a good rating man. Sleepwalker is the only song I like. The album is just too slow and I still don't get why they re-recorded one of their worst songs ever, A Toute Le Monde.
13.09.2008 - 13:54
Deadsoulman

I agree too, I just like the first two songs, the rest is boring mellow crap, like they took the worst songs off The System Has Failed and cloned them again and again. A very mediocre album by Megadeth standards.
15.09.2008 - 16:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I totally agree here as well, only the first threee osngs are good to enjoyable and the rest is like Collin said: "is boring mellow crap, like they took the worst songs off The System Has Failed and cloned them again and again. A very mediocre album by Megadeth standards."
And like Pyrolperchaun I also still don't get why thet re-recorded one of their worst songs ever. My God A Toute Le Monde was already sugary as hell and it became even more sugary with adding Scabbia to the equation.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2008 - 11:30
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Well, I enjoyed it, although I do agree with your review. I guess you and I just saw it from glass half-full/half-empty stand points.

Though I do agree that 'A Toute Le Monde' remake was embarassing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.12.2008 - 15:13
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Very good review, I might like the album a bit more and was a bit put away by your grade, that's why I read it... but I agree pretty much with everything. Still at least as good as Death Magnetic if not better though
04.03.2009 - 19:38
pranjal

This review sucks. I think United Abominations is a great record. yeah seriously, I think the guitar work unleashed by Glen Drover on this record is phenomenal. If you cant see that, well, its your loss.
04.03.2009 - 20:44
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by pranjal on 04.03.2009 at 19:38

I think the guitar work unleashed by Glen Drover on this record is phenomenal.

Like on what songs?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.03.2009 - 08:37
pranjal

Any song. I love Drover's tone.
04.11.2009 - 07:16
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 26.10.2009 at 17:14

Some of you guys that make reviews are full of shit! You rarely do an independent review, 'cause you always let yourself be lead by yr personal tastes and not by the quality (or the lack of it in some cases) of a record! It's "i like this" or "i think that's laim", lool have an open mind man! That goes for all of you "poser-journalists-reviewers"

Uh... what?
How is going by your personal taste not considered an independent review?
Would you agree that judgment of quality is up to a person's personal taste?
Have an open mind man...
05.11.2009 - 21:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
You said:
Written by Guest on 26.10.2009 at 17:14

You rarely do an independent review, 'cause you always let yourself be lead by yr personal tastes and not by the quality (or the lack of it in some cases) of a record!

But your statement is the real contradiction if you realize:
Personal taste = your judgment of quality = independent

(That is why I was criticizing your previous comment, sorry to those who experienced any "enlightning")

If you don't agree that your judgment of quality is dictated by independent personal taste then we must be on different wavelengths. There is no "universal standard of quality" that everyone must honestly abide to... quality is derivative of taste. Some people may argue that Yngwie Malmsteen put outs quality albums based on his technical skill, but my judgment of quality is catered to my personal appreciation of originality and experimentation, so I disagree.

I'm really not trying to attack you, I was only trying to defend the review like so many others. There seems to be an unwritten expectation about reviews on this site to only be positive. I will agree with you any day on the quality of Blackfield however...
07.11.2009 - 00:22
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 06.11.2009 at 03:00

And to close here the matter in discussion, no, i "don't agree that your judgment of quality is dictated by independent personal taste", 1st 'cause taste is never independent, and 2nd 'cause there are many, many, many bands i don't like a bit, but i agree that they have a lot of quality. I know how to step away from my tastes, and concede that this or that band is very good.

So, let's enjoy good music no matter what the tastes we have, 'cause life is to be savoured instead of letting yrself being caught up it this kind of picky things!

Long live Rock n' Roll, and Metal of course!

Good point, I can see how one could appreciate quality in music they don't particularly like. Kind of how I am with Pain of Salvation... I really like the ideas and production aspects but i could never really fully embrace them.

I will second your final sentence!
25.12.2010 - 06:13
Rating: 7
Antegujanu

Who would have thought that after all these years people would continue open reviews with "Who thought that Dave Mustaine, after being kicked out of Metallica, would be able to".

dry land.
25.12.2010 - 08:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is far from being a bad album, but it's also far from being a classic either. The clear abomination of the album is "..Set Me Free", and Im someone who loves the original song. I think putting a re-recording of a song on a new studio album which is already on a previous studio album is a lame move regardless. The fact that it's also terrible, just makes it even worse! Just an embaressment really. I dont even have that song as part of the album in my mp3 library.

I do really love some songs on this album. "Sleepwalker" & "Washington Is Next!" are fearsome Megadeth songs, for sure. The rest of the album blows hot and cold, though even some of the other songs I do like, I have issues with. Like "Never Walk Alone"'s main riff sounding extremely similar to the main riff of "Vortex", or "Burnt Ice", which has some really great ideas, but is poorly arranged, and also feels rushed and unfinished. Compared to the previous album, "The System Has Failed", which for me was a huge return to form, and is one of Megadeth's very best albums, UA was certainly a disappointment to me and a step backwards. *shrugs*
24.02.2019 - 12:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I doubt Dave knew, his anger, hate, I wanna be bigger as sucktalloca and revenge it worked out after so many years. Its true, its bigger as big 4
Scabbia was cult figure because her sex and look and band she is made her jump higher as she really is, there are many better femae vocalist, just media and so on
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5444 | This month: 2