+ Broken, Beat & Scarred
+ The Day That Never Comes
+ All Nightmare Long
+ Cyanide
+ The Unforgiven III
+ The Judas Kiss
+ Suicide & Redemption
+ My Apocalypse

It's always very difficult to analyze what Metallica has created, seems as normal criteria doesn't apply to them, so I might as well just get this off my chest - if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars. However, since I too have the impressive legacy of their previous works to consider, I will not. This of course technically makes me a whore - that's fair, I digest. But numbers and stars aside, do I think this is a good album?

The answer is yes. Yes I do. ?Death Magnetic" effectively gaps the bridge between the old and the new. The cynic in me wants to add that the album has the tempo of the old days and the lyrical lunacy of the modern era - and he's right. Unlike with Metallica's earlier works, ?Death Magnetic" isn't too generous with providing addictive vocal hooks. That is not to say that there are none, but they are not always immediately obvious. What is obvious, however, is the fact that ?Death Magnetic" is an ??And Justice for All" inspired riff-fest (except with bass). It rolls on with a steady thrashing pace and an ominous sound of thunder - a blackness which I didn't believe Metallica possessed anymore. As if the mad riffing wasn't enough, Kirk lets his shredding-self run free, to a point of sheer insanity. Even James puts on a helluva show and keeps his vocal fluxions at bay, sounding rather gritty indeed. Occasionally he does drift to the mellow side (?The Unforgiven III"), although frankly these occasions are surprisingly intriguing. As downers one might point out the relatively jumpy and diverse musical side, which in combination with the somewhat limited lyrical themes make ?Death Magnetic" not exactly the easiest to listen record around. It does, however, utterly kick ass.

Despite the tempo-frenzy one has to bare in mind the fact that we are dealing with the new Metallica. ?Death Magnetic" is not the new ?Master of Puppets". Personally I'm actually relieved about that - instead of copying their older lore, the band has thrown in some recognizable blasts from the past and melded them into their "new old sound", thus making ?Death Magnetic" a rock-solid comeback statement, a truly crushing mosher and above all, a true contemporary Metallica classic.

Written by destroyah | 12.09.2008

Guest review by
BobNickMad
Rating:
Metallica made fans to wait 5 years for a new album,again.The first Wait was between ''Metallica'' and ''Load'',the second was between ''Garage inc.'' and ''St.Anger''. And the last one between ''St.Anger'' and this album:''Death Magnetic''. ''Load'' and ''St.Anger'' were disappointments, is ''Death Magnetic'' another disappointment? Hell no.

Read more ››
published 04.05.2009 | Comments (31)

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
After St. Anger's dismal fallout, Metallica definitely needed to shake their foundations if they were going to retain their fame, fortune and most of all, their following. Luckily, they did, and quite efficiently too, as new album Death Magnetic distinctly restores their credibility.

To help themselves out, they brought in major league producer Rick Rubin (of Slayer, System Of A Down and Johnny Cash fame), who seems to have gauged the perfect balance between the grittier edge of Metallica's classic sound circa And Justice For All and the music they tried (not so successfully) to inject into St Anger.

Read more ››
published 03.01.2010 | Comments (18)

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 146   Visited by: 1251 users
15.09.2008 - 05:55
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
hmm i guess the whole "wait 6 months to write a review" thing isnt happening anymore huh?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
15.09.2008 - 06:20
vapotrini2

I'm pretty surprised so many people are liking this album. I find it to be pretty weak. The drumming is down right annoying.

Written by Doc G. on 13.09.2008 at 03:22

Can't say I agree, after listening to the songs streaming on the internet, it sounds really contrived, and consistently boring the entire way through. Sure it is the best they've put out in about 2 decades, thats not saying a lot though.

Totally agree.

Written by iaberis on 15.09.2008 at 00:34

"if ?Death Magnetic" wasn't a Metallica album, I would probably rate it pretty darn close to ten stars"
are you sure you're talking about the same album?

My sentiments exactly. If this wasn't a Metallica album it would have been ranked lower IMO.
15.09.2008 - 06:56
Rating: 7
!Mac!

Death Magnetic is definitely a deadly album. Meant to be played live or listened too while driving way beyond the speed limit, it is a full recharging of Metallica's battery.

Granted, there are flaws: Lars, for one. But for an album done by a band 25-years after their first release, it deserves to be commended. How many bands are still around after 25-years -- with plenty of years ahead -- and are able to crank out something that rivals past works?

Personally, I think anyone who doesnt dig this record is still clinging to the past. When listening to any new album by Metallica, you can't come in on it with anyyhing pre-Justice on the brain -- it isnt fair; those albums were flawless. Death Magnetic houses some truly classic songs, and should help strengthen and pro-long Metallica's legacy in the music industry.

FOUR STARS OUT OF GIVE/EIGHT STARS OUT OF 10 -- WHICHEVER YOU PREFER.
15.09.2008 - 06:57
!Mac!

Oops...

*FIVE...
15.09.2008 - 08:31
Desecrator

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.09.2008 at 18:58

Written by Sunioj on 14.09.2008 at 14:00

I heard this album at my friends house, I have to say that this is IMO the most overrated 'metal' band on the face of this earth. Nothing special.

Couldn't agree more. I tried many times. But I don't really like Metallica and found them something so normal. The only song that I really enjoy is "One" But nothing more... The rest is just elevator music for me.

Why have you even posted a comment for a review of DM when you don't even like the band? share your opinions to those that care......... I thoroughly enjoyed this release, great comeback album.
15.09.2008 - 09:16
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I just like it, nothing more to say. You know what Testament say: "First Strike is Deadly" (Metallica was the band that introduced me to Metal)
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.09.2008 - 09:36
Rating: 8
florin

After my first listening I was thinking something like : " hmm, ok... i like 4 songs out of 10 . This is another
disappointment after Load , Reload , St. Anger ".
But then i gave it another try ... and things got better. I'm listening to it for 3 days now and didn't get bored.
There are still 2 songs that don't do the trick for me ( Cyanide and Judas Kiss ) but the rest are good metal songs.

Drums don't sound like hitting metal cans ( Thank You God ! ) .. yes, they are loud over here and there.. yes, Lars is at most a mediocre drummer ... but at least he's not ruining the album.
James voice is not the " Master of Puppets" voice ...but what the hell , he's 45~something and still sounds pretty good.
Kirk is back and his solos really help the songs.
As other people said it here, this album reminds me of "Justice". Maybe because i cannot here Rob's bass.

To sum it up : tracks are fast , they have energy ... and the most important thing for me : they make you listen to them again and again.

My rate : 8/10 . Metallica is back!
----
Metal Forever!
15.09.2008 - 11:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I is impressed!!! I mean, after they changed the date of release so many times, I just assumed it's because it's gonna be pure crap again and Metallica is fed up with hearing how much of a downfall St. Anger was, but Death Magnetic is great compared to it!!

Love the drums especially, it really gives the album the old thrashy feeling, the guitars sound awesome! I mean yea, it's not Ride The Lightning exactly, but then again, who was foolish enough to hope they're gonna go back to their old sound?

I for example liked Load and ReLoad as well as hard rock albums and for me it was clear they're gonna go in that direction. Well, they have improved with Death Magnetic comparing to St. Anger a lot, and that is why I'm glad.

I mean, yea, Metallica is Metallica, still... Some hate it, some love it... And well, some of us, and by that I mean me: is still giving them chances and tries to get the best out of every record they make. I'm not gonna look for the lacks of the album, but the highlights.

Great review also!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
15.09.2008 - 11:47
Rating: 9
nb

The album sounds pretty good to me only on a first listen, Its like listening to the album I was expecting after the black album. I like this comeback and I will definitely listen to it more and probably keep it on my playlist.
15.09.2008 - 12:19
VPeter

Guys this is just an crappy half hearted attempt at thrash metal, stop the hype please.
15.09.2008 - 12:29
Sunioj

Written by Desecrator on 15.09.2008 at 08:31

I heard this album at my friends house, I have to say that this is IMO the most overrated 'metal' band on the face of this earth. Nothing special.

Couldn't agree more. I tried many times. But I don't really like Metallica and found them something so normal. The only song that I really enjoy is "One" But nothing more... The rest is just elevator music for me.

Why have you even posted a comment for a review of DM when you don't even like the band? share your opinions to those that care......... I thoroughly enjoyed this release, great comeback album.

If that's how you feel, then what's the point of only posting positive feedback on a review? That would just turn it into a fanboy fest and it would be utterly boring.
15.09.2008 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why don't I read many complaints about the production of the album?
The drums sound terrible... especially the snare. the drums are mixed way to forward in the overall sound at times even being louder than the guitar. Once again (like on And Jusitce) the bass is almost impossible to hear. The mastering must have been horrible from what I read the mixer say in an interview. It all sounds to flat, muddy, too overcompressed, hell, the album sound totally lacks dynamics.
And NO I am not an uadiophile, so imagine that if I can hear all these problems what a professional sound engineer will have to say about the terrible sound of this album, which only sound marginally better than St. Anger (which btw wasn't overcompressed)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2008 - 20:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

The last time I checked... I had the right to say what I think without a problem given from a fanboy like you.
_______

I agree with Marcel... The production was really bad, the drumming sounded really confusing for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2008 - 22:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2008 at 16:59

The drums sound terrible... especially the snare. the drums are mixed way to forward in the overall sound at times even being louder than the guitar. Once again (like on And Jusitce) the bass is almost impossible to hear. The mastering must have been horrible from what I read the mixer say in an interview. It all sounds to flat, muddy, too overcompressed, hell, the album sound totally lacks dynamics.
And NO I am not an uadiophile, so imagine that if I can hear all these problems what a professional sound engineer will have to say about the terrible sound of this album, which only sound marginally better than St. Anger (which btw wasn't overcompressed)

I assumed the mixing problems were already known and accepted, even I can see that, and your talking to a guy who knows dick all about production. I'm just under the impression that the only reason this is getting the hype it is is because peoples standards were set so low from the last one they would have accepted anything that followed as awesome.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.09.2008 - 22:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 15.09.2008 at 22:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2008 at 16:59

I assumed the mixing problems were already known and accepted, even I can see that, and your talking to a guy who knows dick all about production. I'm just under the impression that the only reason this is getting the hype it is is because peoples standards were set so low from the last one they would have accepted anything that followed as awesome.

Actually the biggest problem here is the mastering with just some slight mixing fuck-ups. But that they fucked up the mastering is worth the death penatly in my book. Because now no matter how hard others try it will remain sounding like shit.

I agree that the reason why DM gets all this hype is because of the low expectations poeple have set because of St. Anger, and in a lot of cases Load, Reload, St. Wanker, and in my case, And Justice, Metallica, Load, Reload, Stanger. So if a band produces enough subpar to crap albums anything remotely better will be heralded as the Second Coming of Christ.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2008 - 22:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2008 at 22:47

So if a band produces enough subpar to crap albums anything remotely better will be heralded as the Second Coming of Christ.

Well, it is a pretty genius marketing angle don't you think? I'm pretty sure the coca-cola company did the same thing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.09.2008 - 06:44
Desecrator

Written by Sunioj on 15.09.2008 at 12:29

If that's how you feel, then what's the point of only posting positive feedback on a review? That would just turn it into a fanboy fest and it would be utterly boring.

I couldn't agree more, however your comments don't actually say anything about the album itself. Make of of it what you will I just don't see the point in saying you don't like the band in a review written for an album.
16.09.2008 - 15:01
Einherjarus
Account deleted
Personally, I listened to it just to confirm they're still bad. Though it is a surprise from their side, which I didn't see comming I have to say: if it wasn't Metallica it'd be just another "quasi" metal album...

Thanks, but with new Amon Amarth and Misery Index out, I feel no need to lower myself with ex-metal bands.
16.09.2008 - 15:20
Sebulba

Metallica .... that name means alot to me, since the black album eveytime I guy there new release I feel like waisting my money, so this album I downloaded it the good thing is that I liked two songs alot "Unforgiven III" and "The Day That Never Comes" but the rest didn't find its way to my ears, pure metal but no melodies ...emotionless.
But I can understand people liking it, its far from being St.Anger much much better.
16.09.2008 - 18:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Desecrator on 16.09.2008 at 06:44

I couldn't agree more, however your comments don't actually say anything about the album itself. Make of of it what you will I just don't see the point in saying you don't like the band in a review written for an album.

I think I did explain a bit of what I felt in my first message. That every Metallica album didn't do anything to me. And that this album wasn't the exception either.

My first message would be nonsense only if I wrote "I don't like them..."
But I give an explanation and that seems enough here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.09.2008 - 20:28
Dustspell

Why people like to be negative about Metallica steps...Magnetic Death it's a good album , since Black album, it's the best one they made...Or may be some folks like the St.Anger garbage..Or would like a Ride.../Master of puppets copy..

This album deserves 8 of 10,
17.09.2008 - 00:51
Atirama
Account deleted
Pretty cover. The sound it's not good. Actually the songs are really boring. This is another disappointment from Metallica. I've only heard it twice, but i can't stand it anymore. Hasta la vista Metallica!
17.09.2008 - 02:32
Desecrator

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.09.2008 at 18:23

Written by Desecrator on 16.09.2008 at 06:44

I think I did explain a bit of what I felt in my first message. That every Metallica album didn't do anything to me. And that this album wasn't the exception either.

My first message would be nonsense only if I wrote "I don't like them..."
But I give an explanation and that seems enough here.

ah ok
17.09.2008 - 06:56
Rating: 6
Martin_metal

Metallica goes back to their old sound. I think this one sounds a bit like the "justice" album, with a little "load" and "black album" in it. It´s a good album, but no classic. After a while it getting boring. They have lost it, and that was a long time ago. But still not bad at all, just not interesting any moore..
17.09.2008 - 17:42
Stigmatized

At the time when they started, I'm sure their sound was mindblowing. But looking at it now, their music has always struck me as very boring. Although, this album took me by surprise at the quality of a couple of songs.
17.09.2008 - 20:12
LethargyMan

As much as I don't like Rick Rubin, I'm glad to see SOMEONE replace Bob Rock.

Bob Rock has been nothing but a bad influence on Metallica's music.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
17.09.2008 - 20:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I so agree with everything Marcel said. Absolute truth. The production just suxx. The only thing I will add is that I just hate the way the distortion sounds on the album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.09.2008 - 03:54
BehzadSh

I think Death magnetic is just piece of shit, and I agree with Marcel that if it was from another band I would rate it near 10. This album is just noise. I think 5/10 is good for album rate
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
19.09.2008 - 05:02
Nicko's Nose

Since when 5/10 means piece of shit? It means average.

So, if it was from another band you would rate it near 10/10? Well, that's fucking retarded. Its not as if Metallica had a perfect discography, their albums have been crappy since The Black Album. Stop expecting another Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets, it will never happen, they couldn't possibly make it.

I used to think that the Iron Maiden fanboys were the worst fanboys ever, but now I think that the Metallica fanboys are the worst fanboys ever. ZOMG, it dun' soun ex4tly liek M4$T0R 0F PUPPETZ, it sux!!!11!!eleven!
19.09.2008 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BehzadSh on 19.09.2008 at 03:54

I think Death magnetic is just piece of shit, and I agree with Marcel that if it was from another band I would rate it near 10. This album is just noise. I think 5/10 is good for album rate

I never said that. I said that if another band had released it no-one would pay any attention to it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 26432 | This month: 37