Metal Storm logo
Gorguts

Original post

Posted by John Barleycorn, 17.05.2006 - 08:11
I´m sure there are some fans of Gorguts here. I simply love "Obscura" which is among my favourite albums at the moment. I don´t care that much about their other albums, although I have listened to "Erosion of Sanity" and "From Wisdom to Hate" and I quite like them, also. But "Obscura" is definitely a masterpiece and IMO most of other metal albums pale in comparison.
16.03.2008 - 06:02
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Obscura certainly sounds chaotic... everytime I listen to it I become somehow nervous... probasbly it's the sensation they try to reach and then they do it brillianty, but I don't like it.
16.03.2008 - 11:04
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by theflyingmachine on 16.03.2008 at 03:25

Written by Guest on 15.03.2008 at 23:30

I've listened to them a few times on lastFM, thought about getting some records by them.

The first time I heard them I found the music really click with me, it seeming enjoyable, technical and original, while during the second listen I was sort of overwhelmed by the chaos of the music and it somehow sounded harsher than I would expect. Anyway, that was quite cool but not most enjoyable experience(and I've had quite similar with some electronic or Krautrock bands, maybe it was because my attention wasn't completely focused on the music, but neither is it usually, now that I think of it).

You should check out Erosion of Sanity. It is techical, but I wouldn't call it chaotic or harsh.

Ok, thanks, I'll try to get it.
16.03.2008 - 16:57
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 11:04

I have it, I can borrow it to you, if you'll agree to borrow me Om in exchange...
16.03.2008 - 21:32
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 16:57

Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 11:04

I have it, I can borrow it to you, if you'll agree to borrow me Om in exchange...

okey dokey, so it finally arrived? how do you like it by the way?
16.03.2008 - 23:44
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.03.2008 at 21:32

[okey dokey, so it finally arrived? how do you like it by the way?

It arrived ages ago . And yes, it's very good, I like it, though the production's a bit too muddy.
16.04.2010 - 22:02
Got Mayhem?

I just emailed Luc last night about merch and he said that there should be new stuff printed next month. Keep our fingers crossed...I would give so much to have an Obscura Tee.
----
17.04.2010 - 13:25
ylside

Written by Got Mayhem? on 16.04.2010 at 22:02

I just emailed Luc last night about merch and he said that there should be new stuff printed next month. Keep our fingers crossed...I would give so much to have an Obscura Tee.

Ah yeah, wouldnt mind an Obscura tee myself..

But this is more interesting you would agree !

After all these years I just reread some of Obscura's lyrics, its seems like it is close to being a concept album about astral projection actually, ha! interesting, makes me like this band even more lol.
17.04.2010 - 17:03
Got Mayhem?

Written by ylside on 17.04.2010 at 13:25

Written by Got Mayhem? on 16.04.2010 at 22:02

Ah yeah, wouldnt mind an Obscura tee myself..

But this is more interesting you would agree !

After all these years I just reread some of Obscura's lyrics, its seems like it is close to being a concept album about astral projection actually, ha! interesting, makes me like this band even more lol.

Haha, I'd be hesitant to try to find meaning in Obscura, that album is just begging for insanity to come to the listener. I'm so excited to hear some new Gorguts material too! John Longstreth is probably one of the best drummers I can think of for this type of metal and Luc Lemay never seems to run out of ideas so I'm expecting great things to say the least.
----
17.04.2010 - 21:19
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Someone should reissue Obscura, it seems to be going on ebay for more than 50$.
17.04.2010 - 21:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 17.04.2010 at 21:19

Someone should reissue Obscura, it seems to be going on ebay for more than 50$.

That is the main reason I downloaded it via torrent, plus I could only find the title track available for legal download. None of the secondary resell money is going toward the band anyway...
18.04.2010 - 00:30
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 17.04.2010 at 21:44

That is the main reason I downloaded it via torrent, plus I could only find the title track available for legal download. None of the secondary resell money is going toward the band anyway...

Yeah, I also have it on my computer but it would be nice to have it on official cd as well. Still I'd rather not spend the sum it goes for on ebay on it, I think I should rather buy From Wisdom to Hate from some of the places that still carry it before it also becomes a hard to find album and starts going for 40$ plus on ebay.
18.04.2010 - 00:44
ylside

Seriously, even if its some of my alltime favourite albums I will NEVER pay such a price for them... not worth it. Usually, if the promotion behind the new gorguts release sees a bit ahead, they will surely re-release it. Then I'll get it hahaha
09.05.2010 - 02:45
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=137107

New Gorguts Material!!!!!!!
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
09.05.2010 - 08:12
ylside

Written by ItalktotheWind on 09.05.2010 at 02:45

Http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=137107

Excellent !
The demo montage doesnt sound that bad at all. It written loud and clear though
"Don't expect this record to sound like a previous GORGUTS album"
09.05.2010 - 10:59
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Written by ylside on 09.05.2010 at 08:12

Excellent !
The demo montage doesnt sound that bad at all. It written loud and clear though

Definitely. The guys from dysrhythmia are definitely making their mark on the music but i still hear aspects of obscura, but its totally a new sounding band. I love it though.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
09.05.2010 - 17:13
Got Mayhem?

Godly sounds. Looking forward to this more than anything else right now.
----
10.05.2010 - 06:34
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by ylside on 09.05.2010 at 08:12

Yeah lol... I think they only have one original member. Actually, I think most of their albums have drastic lineup changes, making them all sound different. I'm not too big on the samples so far. I hope it doesn't sound like Dysrhythmia
10.05.2010 - 16:22
theflyingmachine

I recently listened to Obscura and didn't care for it at all. I'm sure it could be a grower that I could appreciate more after a few listens, but it wasn't really good enough in my opinion to want to hear it again. Considered Dead and Erosion of Sanity are much much better than it.
26.05.2010 - 20:38
Galar
Wicked Mung
Just saw the first Gorguts show in nine years yesturday. All I can tell you is, they are just as good as ever. They played many old songs(virtually every song I wanted to hear), and the new songs you could really hear the Colin Martson/John influences. Seeing them again in two days at maryland deathfest, life is good. Portal was also on the bill
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
30.05.2010 - 07:45
leprosy

Gorguts - my fav metal band !
30.05.2010 - 13:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Obscura is amazing.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.06.2010 - 00:18
ylside

New song played at Maryland Deathfest.
01.06.2010 - 04:35
Got Mayhem?

Definitely has a bit of Obscura kind of sound to it, but different at the same time. I've got complete faith that Lemay & Co are going to put out a monster of an album.
----
01.06.2010 - 18:07
ylside

You do ?
I keep my expectations at the lowest for most revived metal bands I hear... but I cannot say I am not excited about this particular one.
01.06.2010 - 22:25
Got Mayhem?

Written by ylside on 01.06.2010 at 18:07

You do ?
I keep my expectations at the lowest for most revived metal bands I hear... but I cannot say I am not excited about this particular one.

Well, experience and reason tells me to do the same and keep expectations low, but the irrational fanboy within me is pumped for some new Gorguts. I've loved the sound of the scattering of material let loose over the years as well. All fingers crossed on this one I guess.
----
02.06.2010 - 05:41
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by ylside on 01.06.2010 at 00:18

New song played at Maryland Deathfest.

They were better at the smaller venue. Still good at MDF tho
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
04.07.2015 - 23:19
drogarito

Check this out!!!! http://agoraphobicnews.com/luc-lemay-gorguts.html Interview with Luc Lemay + http://agoraphobicnews.com/Kevin-of-Dysrhythmia-interview.html Interview with Kevin Hufnagel + tribute to Steeve Hurdle of Gorguts/Negativa http://agoraphobicnews.com/remembering-big-steeve-hurdle.html