Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K†ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 351
31.07.2017 - 14:50
VIG
Starman
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2017 at 06:19

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.

Yeah, in this case I don't think it matters, because when MoP came out, RtL was already out (obviously), so MoP was nothing mind blowing, at least for those who were familiar with RtL
----
"I've got good news. That gum you like is going to come back in style."
01.08.2017 - 18:57
dmiller458
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2017 at 06:19

Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 05:46

Written by VIG on 31.07.2017 at 02:46

Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 01:53

Written by VIG on 30.07.2017 at 16:50
First two Metallica albums were amazing, the rest are mediocre if not horrible.

Help me out here. When did you first hear Master of Puppets?

Why does that matter?

I don't know, probably 8 years ago or something like that

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.

Whether you liked it or not, you were still listening w/o 30 yrs of baggage.
02.08.2017 - 12:23
tominator
I prefer Countdown To Extinction personally. And Ride The Lightning is my favourite Metallica record.

So yeah... given the choices I'll probably go with Rust In Peace. I like both albums but Master Of Puppets has a few more duds in it imo.