Metal Storm logo
Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 415
02.08.2017 - 12:23
tominator
At best deranged
I prefer Countdown To Extinction personally. And Ride The Lightning is my favourite Metallica record.

So yeah... given the choices I'll probably go with Rust In Peace. I like both albums but Master Of Puppets has a few more duds in it imo.
26.08.2017 - 16:51
Vinther1991

Master of Puppets easily for me. Outside the 3 killer tracks on Rust in Peace (Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls) and to a lesser extent Dawn Patrol/Rust in Peace, the album really doesn't do anything for me. Not that the other songs are necessarily bad, they are just not that memorable either. Megadeth tend to focus too much on the technique and less on the variety and emotion, this is already evident in Rust in Peace, and is a huge problem in their more recent albums. Peace Sells is by far my favorite Megadeth album, it truly shows what makes Megadeth unique and it has no fillers. That is a masterpiece, while Rust in Peace is just a very good perhaps even great album.

Master of Puppets on the other hand is just fantastic from beginning to end, I love the variety of trakcs and the emotion put into the album. There isn't really any filler. Probably my second favorite metal album of all time.
13.09.2017 - 17:44
Megadeth and Metallica are two of my favourite bands of all time and Master Of Puppets And Rust In Peace are two flawless masterpieces.And it is very hard for me to choose the best one.But I prefer Megadeth so I have to go with Rust In Peace.
05.12.2017 - 00:13
Galvenstaid

Aww man, this is hard. Megadeth probably (overall) better in my opinion, with their faster, thrashier sound it just appeals to me more. Rust in Peace has been in my car's CD player for a few days now. That being said, Master of Puppets, Battery, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and Damage, Inc. are some of my favorite songs ever. Holy Wars and Hangar 18 got me really into metal as a whole so RIP has a special place in my heart but MOP takes the cake for me on this one.
09.12.2017 - 21:20
Vinther1991

Just gave Rust in Peace another listen the other day. Auch, it really doesn't hold up well. The production and performaces are all stellar, I guess that's why people find it easy to get into. no denying the instruments all sound fantastic and it has some of the best guitar solos of all time.
But oh man the song writing is mediocre. Five Magics is an obvious example, complete Marty Friedman show-off, it's all about those solos, nothing that resembles songwriting to me, and Mustaine's voice sounds terrible on that one. You could say the same about most of the other songs here, it's all about Megadeth showing how technically skilled they are, who were they trying to impress?

Personally, I think the majority of Metallica records are superior to Rust in Piece. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Black Album, Load, Garage Inc. and Hardwired to Self-destruct I all find more interesting to listen to.

Megadeth is still a brilliant band. Peace Sells, but who's Buying and Countdown to Extinction are some of my favorite metal records, both easily better than Rust in Peace.
17.10.2018 - 22:41
FiveMagics

Written by Vinther1991 on 09.12.2017 at 21:20

Just gave Rust in Peace another listen the other day. Auch, it really doesn't hold up well. The production and performaces are all stellar, I guess that's why people find it easy to get into. no denying the instruments all sound fantastic and it has some of the best guitar solos of all time.
But oh man the song writing is mediocre. Five Magics is an obvious example, complete Marty Friedman show-off, it's all about those solos, nothing that resembles songwriting to me, and Mustaine's voice sounds terrible on that one. You could say the same about most of the other songs here, it's all about Megadeth showing how technically skilled they are, who were they trying to impress?

Personally, I think the majority of Metallica records are superior to Rust in Piece. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, Black Album, Load, Garage Inc. and Hardwired to Self-destruct I all find more interesting to listen to.

Megadeth is still a brilliant band. Peace Sells, but who's Buying and Countdown to Extinction are some of my favorite metal records, both easily better than Rust in Peace.

Damn I'll have to disagree with you there. 'Five Magics' definitely is strong songwriting. It has the proper pacing with that super fast brutal start followed by the bass-lead intro, then into the verses and a great solo followed by the 'incantation section' followed by possibly the greatest guitar solo I've ever heard in the outro. Marty Friedman was a god amongst men on this record.

In fact I'd say "Welcome Home(Sanitarium)" is let down by a weak, generic chorus. MoP is not the flawless record we are led to believe.
10.08.2019 - 21:49
Neronino

MoP has several good songs, several boring songs. RIP is much better as a whole album. None of those songs are weak.
10.09.2019 - 17:27
audreyspency

That is hard. Megadeth likely (normal) higher in my view, with their faster, thrashier sound it just appeals to me greater. Rust in Peace has been in my automobile's CD player for a few days now. That being said, Master of Puppets, Battery, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) and Damage, Inc. Are a number of my preferred songs ever. Holy Wars and Hangar 18 got me honestly into metal as an entire so RIP has a special location in my heart however MOP takes the cake for me on this one.
Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l
12.09.2019 - 16:00
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Vinther1991 on 09.12.2017 at 21:20

Five Magics is an obvious example, complete Marty Friedman show-off, it's all about those solos, nothing that resembles songwriting to me, and Mustaine's voice sounds terrible on that one.

Five Magics is indeed pretty boring, but calling Countdown to Extinction better than Rust In Peace hurts my fucking brain. That's like saying The Black Album is better than Ride The Lightning. Tastes differ sure but come on...
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
12.09.2019 - 20:24
Vinther1991

Written by Metren on 12.09.2019 at 16:00

Five Magics is indeed pretty boring, but calling Countdown to Extinction better than Rust In Peace hurts my fucking brain. That's like saying The Black Album is better than Ride The Lightning. Tastes differ sure but come on...

I went a little too hard on Rust in Peace there, it is a great album overall. But I do prefer Countdown to Extinction. I think the songwriting on that one is super tight and catchy. A top 10 metal album for me, perhaps even top 5.
Oh, and I also prefer Black Album to Ride the Lightning (please don't shoot me), how controversial that opinion might be. Though both albums are masterpieces to me.
12.09.2019 - 20:56
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Vinther1991 on 12.09.2019 at 20:24

I went a little too hard on Rust in Peace there, it is a great album overall. But I do prefer Countdown to Extinction. I think the songwriting on that one is super tight and catchy. A top 10 metal album for me, perhaps even top 5.
Oh, and I also prefer Black Album to Ride the Lightning (please don't shoot me), how controversial that opinion might be. Though both albums are masterpieces to me.

Heh, nobody will shoot You LOL, certainly not me. Everyone has the right to enjoy whatever they enjoy
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
28.09.2019 - 07:59
MH_WarWizard

Iv'e recently given "rust in peace" a listen and I'm having trouble getting into it. I dunno i can't decide whether or not I like mustang's vocals. (P.s. i know I'm kinda late on checking it out, but better late then never lol) Master of puppets is really good.
----
Oh Glorious Metal
28.06.2020 - 22:00
Zopilote

Master of Puppets
17.07.2020 - 09:39
s(AINT)

Rust In Peace all the way on any day \m/
24.07.2020 - 03:49
Metal Rasputin

Rust in Peace. I love them both, but RIP just feels more tight and has the better performances, songwriting and overall production. Maybe it's just me, but it took me originally a lot of time to get into Rust since it was so different compared to most of the stuff I had heard back then. If the remastered version sounds little off, that's because Dave and the boys had to re-record some parts since the original tapes weren't all that well preserved or found at all.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
27.07.2020 - 06:55
sgtrobo

RiP is arguably the greatest thrash album ever. Puppets is Metallica's 2nd best album
08.02.2021 - 08:25
Nucky

Master of Puppets any day.. Never really liked Megadeth..
22.04.2021 - 22:25
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Has to be Rust In Peace for me, Master of Puppets is a bit overrated and no where near as good as RTL imo, Rust In Peace has so many great songs, with some of the best riffs, solo's and songwriting I've heard in thrash. whereas I only really liked a couple of songs on Master of Puppets.