Metal Storm logo
Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 415
29.09.2011 - 20:12
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by skeletorissatan on 29.09.2011 at 13:28

Master of puppets is exceedingly overrated, and the best track on that cant touch the worse track on RIP, in my opinion.

So Dawn Patrol beats EVERY track on MOP?
29.09.2011 - 23:53
king_matt

Written by Guest on 29.09.2011 at 20:12

Written by skeletorissatan on 29.09.2011 at 13:28

Master of puppets is exceedingly overrated, and the best track on that cant touch the worse track on RIP, in my opinion.

I agree. I can barely consider Dawn Patrol an actual song, but it's still a track.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
30.09.2011 - 15:49
skeletorissatan

I consider Dawn Patrol as an intro to Rust In Peace Polaris. And the worst track on RIP is Lucretia, and it still tops Leper Messiah (my personal favourite track on MOP.) Dont get me wrong, i still LOVE MOP, but its very overrated
30.09.2011 - 16:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 29.09.2011 at 20:12

You took the words right out of my mouth!
30.09.2011 - 17:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by skeletorissatan on 30.09.2011 at 15:49

I consider Dawn Patrol as an intro to Rust In Peace Polaris. And the worst track on RIP is Lucretia, and it still tops Leper Messiah (my personal favourite track on MOP.) Dont get me wrong, i still LOVE MOP, but its very overrated

wow, for me Lucretia has one of the greatest solos ever written... worst tracks... I think talking about worst tracks on such albums is almost pointless, plus for each one it will be a different one.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.09.2011 - 20:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 30.09.2011 at 17:19
wow, for me Lucretia has one of the greatest solos ever written... worst tracks... I think talking about worst tracks on such albums is almost pointless, plus for each one it will be a different one.

Marty's solo in "Lucretia" is awesome! It always gets overlooked because of the solo in "Tornado Of Souls", which is a little understandable I guess, but the "Lucretia" solo is almost as awesome.

I don't think I can pick a worst track on RIP... I'd probably pick "Leper Messiah" as the worst song on MOP, although it's a really good song, I feel it is slightly weaker than the other songs on the album. xD
30.09.2011 - 21:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Angelic Storm on 30.09.2011 at 20:30

Written by K✞ulu on 30.09.2011 at 17:19

Marty's solo in "Lucretia" is awesome! It always gets overlooked because of the solo in "Tornado Of Souls", which is a little understandable I guess, but the "Lucretia" solo is almost as awesome.

But Lucretia has that unique swingy dancing mood throughout it and during the solo as well while the solo on Solo of Tornado of Souls is kind of sentimental... if you follow me
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.09.2011 - 21:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I am not sure who i find to be bigger jackasses - metallica fanbois ore megadeth fanbois...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.09.2011 - 21:47
JD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 30.09.2011 at 21:44

I am not sure who i find to be bigger jackasses - metallica fanbois ore megadeth fanbois...

What about both?
30.09.2011 - 21:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 30.09.2011 at 21:47

What about both?

oh i do find them both big jackasses... but i'm leaning to Megadeth fanbois, simply because they seem to be in denial over the fact the band tried to sell out just as hard as Metallica.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.09.2011 - 23:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by K✞ulu on 30.09.2011 at 21:31
But Lucretia has that unique swingy dancing mood throughout it and during the solo as well while the solo on Solo of Tornado of Souls is kind of sentimental... if you follow me

haha, yup I follow you Marty's solos in general just have so much character, and emotion in them. Which is why I prefer him to Chris Broderick, even though CB is probably better technically. xD

@Bitter: Yep, the denial over selling out and history re-rewriting (example: Dave "writing the first two Metallica albums") of some Megadeth/Dave Mustaine fanboys makes them even more annoying to me than Metallica fanboys.
01.10.2011 - 00:25
@gent_-_orange

Written by Angelic Storm on 30.09.2011 at 23:52

Written by K✞ulu on 30.09.2011 at 21:31

haha, yup I follow you Marty's solos in general just have so much character, and emotion in them. Which is why I prefer him to Chris Broderick, even though CB is probably better technically. xD

@Bitter: Yep, the denial over selling out and history re-rewriting (example: Dave "writing the first two Metallica albums") of some Megadeth/Dave Mustaine fanboys makes them even more annoying to me than Metallica fanboys.

You obviously have no idea of Dave's contributions to that band... I mean, He is responsible for over half of the material on Death Magnetic!!!
01.10.2011 - 01:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 01.10.2011 at 00:25
You obviously have no idea of Dave's contributions to that band... I mean, He is responsible for over half of the material on Death Magnetic!!!

Yep, and James is taking all this flak for "I am the table", when obviously Dave wrote that as well!
04.10.2011 - 14:42
skeletorissatan

Both of them are arseholes. 'Deth and 'Tallica are both huge sellouts, but still awesome bands. And no, Dave was nothing to do with anything after AJFA.
04.10.2011 - 14:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by skeletorissatan on 04.10.2011 at 14:42

Both of them are arseholes. 'Deth and 'Tallica are both huge sellouts, but still awesome bands. And no, Dave was nothing to do with anything after AJFA.

If you mean Dave Mustaine, he had nothing to with anything after Ride The Lightning....
04.10.2011 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And even on Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning it was only a couple of bits and pieces he had anything to do with.
Funny thing is also a lot of fanboys seem to think Dave is a member of the original Metallica line-up he doesn't even feature on the original Hit The Lights recording as featured on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.10.2011 - 20:14
DesolationJersey

It's a close one but i'm going to have to lean more to Master of Puppets, both albums are terrific though.
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
05.10.2011 - 13:03
skeletorissatan

Written by Angelic Storm on 04.10.2011 at 14:56

Written by skeletorissatan on 04.10.2011 at 14:42

If you mean Dave Mustaine, he had nothing to with anything after Ride The Lightning....

He wrote one of the riffs on Disposable Heros and he wrote some of Harvester Of Sorrow, if you believe Dave (but Dave LOVES to run his mouth). However, i agree with the Disposable Heroes thing-thats got dave all over it
05.10.2011 - 14:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by skeletorissatan on 05.10.2011 at 13:03
He wrote one of the riffs on Disposable Heros and he wrote some of Harvester Of Sorrow, if you believe Dave (but Dave LOVES to run his mouth). However, i agree with the Disposable Heroes thing-thats got dave all over it

What? :\ I really hope you're being sarcastic... The only thing Dave has ever claimed to have written on a Metallica album after Ride The Lightning, is the main riff to Leper Messiah. Which is something both James and Lars have denied, and I tend to believe them. After all, they wouldn't have credited him with the material he did write on the first two albums if they wanted to deny his involvement in those songs.

Ive been a Megadeth/Metallica fan for over 20 years, and I have never heard of Dave claiming to have written part of Disposable Heroes or Harvester of Sorrow....
18.10.2011 - 14:07
skeletorissatan

Nope, he never claimed to have written Disposable Heroes, but that has dave all over it
18.10.2011 - 14:29
arwestromen

For me rust in peace is overrated....Master of puppets for the win
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
18.10.2011 - 15:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by skeletorissatan on 18.10.2011 at 14:07

Nope, he never claimed to have written Disposable Heroes, but that has dave all over it

There's no way in hell Dave would have known he wrote parts of that song and said nothing about it, so I think we can safely say he had nothing to do with that songs' writing.
19.10.2011 - 13:47
skeletorissatan

Written by arwestromen on 18.10.2011 at 14:29

For me rust in peace is overrated....Master of puppets for the win

MOP is overrated as FUCK! its still awesome but its overrated. its like RIP is overrated as well, because Dave'#s vocals blow "LOTS OF BANANAS! THE END DOESNT SCARE US!"
19.10.2011 - 13:50
Yavanna

Never really liked very much Master of Puppets, so I go with Rust in Peace, of course
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
21.10.2011 - 06:26
Sonic MrSumo

I'm amazed that Megadeth is winning this poll...go Megadeth, and go the Metalstorm community!!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
21.10.2011 - 18:22
Bulletdodger

Master Of Puppets > Rust In Peace

The songs in Rust In Peace all seem alike, while the songs in Master Of Puppets have more variety, covering both the fast and slow aspects much better that Megadeth.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
21.10.2011 - 18:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 21.10.2011 at 06:26

I'm amazed that Megadeth is winning this poll...go Megadeth, and go the Metalstorm community!!

I'd personally have been more surprised if Metallica was winning this poll!
27.10.2011 - 20:03
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 30.09.2011 at 21:59

Written by Guest on 30.09.2011 at 21:47

What about both?

oh i do find them both big jackasses... but i'm leaning to Megadeth fanbois, simply because they seem to be in denial over the fact the band tried to sell out just as hard as Metallica.

Sure Megadeth, tried to sell out, no where near as far as Metallica did. Metallica had way more non thrash albums than Megadeth, did, they had Risk which was about it. Their other albums like Cryptic Writings or Youthanasia werent as thrashy as their others but they didnt sell out as much as Metallica. I like both bands almost equally, but Megadeth is better in my opinnion.
28.10.2011 - 21:03
Misfit74

Seriously? This is no contest for me: Master Of Puppets.
20.12.2011 - 21:28
Aristarchos

I don't see why Rust in peace is so popular, it only has some great guitar playing, but no interesting song melodies.