Metal Storm logo
Master Of Puppets vs Rust In Peace

Original post

Posted by K✞ulu, 13.09.2008 - 23:40
Well, here is the deal. Master Of Puppets has always been my no. 1 all-time album, but after I had discovered Rust In Peace something changed. Especially now I find myself hopelessly hooked to this album. It's just amazing.

Well, both albums are classics and maybe even flawless masterpieces. One has an ingenious "Master Of Puppets," the other a decent match of "Holy Wars." One has a classic of an instrumental, the other has the number, quality, and beauty of solos that one other album I have ever heard has. Well, there is kind of a tie situation here, but... right now I feel like voting for Rust In Peace; I do think it's better, and so be it. My vote goes to Rust In Peace.

This is a pretty light poll, so no massive discussions are needed as this is a rather subjective matter. If you have something to say though, please do, e.g. favorite moments, solos, lyrics, riffs or maybe drawbacks if you find any... I just want to see who will win in such a battle.

But please, I freaking beg you on my knees, don't post anything like "Megadeth rules" or "Metallica suxx." And don't vote for a particular album just because one of these bands is your favorite.

Poll

Which one is better? (be objective)

Rust In Peace
Master Of Puppets

Total votes: 415
26.12.2011 - 08:34
AndrewLyngwa

Indeed, Rust In Peace is better, not only because of Holy Wars, but many other legendary hits like "Hangar 18", "Poison Was The Cure", "Five Magics", etc. This album brought me into the thrash metal genre.
01.01.2012 - 17:14
Infernal Eternal

Rust in peace of course . Metallica are overrated
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
19.01.2012 - 22:20
Thrash del Sur

This is not a fair contest in my opinon. Cause 1986 was the year of the big 4 greatest albums I would compare Peace Sells... with MOP...and I would say Peace Sells is better.
19.01.2012 - 23:36
Lit.
Account deleted
No comparison: Rust In Peace. Better songwriting, better guitar playing. Hell, I'd even say better vocals.
20.01.2012 - 00:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Aristarchos on 20.12.2011 at 21:28

I don't see why Rust in peace is so popular, it only has some great guitar playing, but no interesting song melodies.

megadave was in metallica. megadave got kicked out of metallica. metallica sold out ... megadeth sold out. metallica was better at selling out than megadeth was. megadeth went back to producing boring versions of the edgy thrash they used to. metallica kept selling millions of units.

ergo metallica is hated in retrospect and people find reasons to say nice things about fucking Risk simply because it's not metallica.

rust in peace is good enough, but lacks the balls of dave's earlier work...

;it was Master without a second thought for me. that album was muy importante then and still sounds great now, even after music has continued in harsher directions that have left both Megadeth and Metallica's tunes stuff you now hear on classic rock stations.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.02.2012 - 23:43
Oaken
Hipster
Musically, I think that Rust In Peace wins because of the gigantic amount of skill, musicianship and technicality put into it.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
05.02.2012 - 23:46
@gent_-_orange

Written by Oaken on 05.02.2012 at 23:43

Musically, I think that Rust In Peace wins because of the gigantic amount of skill, musicianship and technicality put into it.

Master of Puppets wins for me, Because it has something way more important than all of those things, Better songwriting.
05.02.2012 - 23:49
Oaken
Hipster
Written by @gent_-_orange on 05.02.2012 at 23:46

Written by Oaken on 05.02.2012 at 23:43

Master of Puppets wins for me, Because it has something way more important than all of those things, Better songwriting.

I disagree. Besides, Dave has les better vocals.
----
05.02.2012 - 23:54
@gent_-_orange

Written by Oaken on 05.02.2012 at 23:49

I actually think Dave's vocals are nowhere near as good as James' vocals and personally speaking I have never enjoyed a full Megadeth album, Yeah sure Megadeth are good musicians n all but they are incredibly boring to my ears.
05.02.2012 - 23:56
Oaken
Hipster
Written by @gent_-_orange on 05.02.2012 at 23:54

Written by Oaken on 05.02.2012 at 23:49

I actually think Dave's vocals are nowhere near as good as James' vocals and personally speaking I have never enjoyed a full Megadeth album, Yeah sure Megadeth are good musicians n all but they are incredibly boring to my ears.

It's true that James puts more emotion, but I find Dave's vocals, especially on Tornado Of Souls, superior.
----
06.02.2012 - 15:36
Joppe
Steelemeister
RiP.
----
My vision is augmented
06.02.2012 - 20:21
slinx

Saw this and played the albums back to back with Master Of Puppets starting, both in order and in preference.

Did the numbers by the what I hated by each band:

Metallica
-Overlong songs (i don't listen to metal to fall asleep)
-A couple fillers
-Annoying drums
-only 3 songs I would keep on my zune

MegaDeth
-that thing at 2:15 of holy wars, totally kills the song for me
-hate the vocals more than i hate hetfield's vocals
-a couple songs i could do without
-the bass seems more prominent the further you go in the album

gotta go with Rust In Peace on this one
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
07.02.2012 - 15:10
Slayerus23
Account deleted
Rust In Peace with no doubt, since Master Of Puppets isn't that good for me. Actually there is one song I completely hate on MoP: The Thing That Should Not Be..or maybe The Song That Shouldn't Exist.

Both Ride The Lightning and And Justice For All are masterpieces of the heavy/thrash, and right after there is Rust In Peace.
13.02.2012 - 14:19
Likked

RIP easily.
Master of Puppets is good, but it didn't blow me away the first time like Rust in Peace did.
I think Ride the Lightning or AJFA would be a better match against RIP.

MOP song ratings (imo):
Great: Battery, Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, Damage Inc [4]
Good: Orion, Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes [3]
Boring: The Thing That Should Not Be [1]

RIP song ratings (imo):
Great: Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Five Magics, Lucretia, Dawn Patrol, Tornado of Souls [6]
Good: Take No Prisoners, Rust in Peace Polaris, Poison Was The Cure [3]
07.12.2012 - 03:42
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I vote for Master of Puppets. Great production, aggressive vocals, tight songwriting, and epic songs like the title track and Orion that take advantage of atmosphere throughout their duration.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
12.01.2013 - 16:38
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Master Of Puppets, definetly. Mustaine's voice in Rust In Peace gets annoying sometimes.
03.02.2013 - 02:22
SILVER-TMZ

RUST IN PEACE
12.02.2013 - 01:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 19.01.2012 at 23:36

No comparison: Rust In Peace. Better songwriting, better guitar playing. Hell, I'd even say better vocals.

why ''Hell, I'd even say better vocals'' Don't be shy, They're clearly better, its not the voice itself that matters for me and for most, really
its the emotion and the performance given. The voice itself usually comes second especially in Thrash Metal.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.03.2013 - 14:01
Metal_Elle

RUST IN PEACE rules !
17.04.2013 - 14:50
Edible Autopsy

Master of Puppets.

Both are great, but if it wasn't for MoP I wouldn't be into metal nowadays.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
17.02.2017 - 13:14
nikarg

I love both, but I enjoy Rust In Peace a tiny bit more.
29.07.2017 - 11:51
Metren
Dreadrealm
Both albums are somewhat overrated when compared to the bands' earlier works imo, but I find myself listening to Rust quite often, where as I almost never listen to Master Of Puppets, which is almost like a clone of the superior Ride The Lightning and thus actually pretty boring. Whenever I am in the mood for classic Metallica, the first two albums are the ones I spin.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
30.07.2017 - 16:50
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 29.07.2017 at 11:51

Both albums are somewhat overrated when compared to the bands' earlier works imo, but I find myself listening to Rust quite often, where as I almost never listen to Master Of Puppets, which is almost like a clone of the superior Ride The Lightning and thus actually pretty boring. Whenever I am in the mood for classic Metallica, the first two albums are the ones I spin.

QFT

First two Metallica albums were amazing, the rest are mediocre if not horrible. When it comes to Megadeth, I like Peace Sells and Rust In Peace. Their other stuff I just don't really care for.
31.07.2017 - 01:53
dmiller458

Written by Guest on 30.07.2017 at 16:50
First two Metallica albums were amazing, the rest are mediocre if not horrible.

Help me out here. When did you first hear Master of Puppets?
31.07.2017 - 02:46
VIG
Account deleted
Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 01:53

Why does that matter?

I don't know, probably 8 years ago or something like that
31.07.2017 - 05:46
dmiller458

Written by Guest on 31.07.2017 at 02:46

Why does that matter?

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.
31.07.2017 - 06:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 05:46

Why does that matter?

Folks who heard it the day it came out weren't listening to it filtered through 30 years of baggage.

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2017 - 10:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.07.2017 at 06:19

I heard MoP the first day it came out and already thought it was a weak carbon copy of RtL. Btw I still think so to this day and agw.

i arrived a little later to the party - '89. agree it's a carbon copy of Ride the Lightning, only with tracks 7 and 8 switching places... but to me it's the Bolt Thrower effect, fine tuning a formula. MOP remains my favorite Metallica album.

While MOP took a successful blueprint and copied it, tweaking it a little bit, RIP still feels like a technically superior version of prior MegadavE albums, but missing the balls and aggression. Fast, but not so furious.

still fail to see why it RIP holds the charm it does when compared against their back catalog, and still think the first 5 albums from each band should be compared against one another in chronological order as they're all Metallica doing something and Megadave following suit.

probably repeating myself, but, fuck it, this post has been alive for a decade now.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2017 - 14:50
VIG
Account deleted
Quote:

Yeah, in this case I don't think it matters, because when MoP came out, RtL was already out (obviously), so MoP was nothing mind blowing, at least for those who were familiar with RtL
01.08.2017 - 18:57
dmiller458

Written by dmiller458 on 31.07.2017 at 05:46

Why does that matter?

Whether you liked it or not, you were still listening w/o 30 yrs of baggage.