Metal Storm logo
Which Metallica's Instrumental Song You Prefer More?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 14.09.2008 - 17:11
The main reason which made me to open this poll is music itself! Metallica has wrote a lot of songs but they have only 4 instrumentals and the interesting thing is that they r all in Metallica's Thrash Albums. Kill Em all, Ride The Lighting, Master of Puppets and Death Magnetic (and if they hadnt put Cliff's words in "To Live Is To Die", we could say that they have Instrumental song in all of thrash albums)
and as all of us know, its so hard to write instrmental songs for such bands, cause they cant say their words by lyrics but music. and the other way is the name of the song. its very important in Instrumental songs:

1.take a look at Pulling Teeth(Anesthesia), I always think of it when I listen to its music(i mean i think of Dentist). they choose this name cause its somthin like an action. so we know what we r listening to.

2.The Call Of Ktulu:

The idea of the song "The Call Of Ktulu" is based upon H.P. Lovecraft's sole book "The Shadow over Innsmouth" which was first introduced to the rest of the band by Cliff Burton. The spark of beeing fascinated by the book began quickly spreading over the rest of the band. The song's name was taken from one of H.P. Lovecraft's main story featuring Cthulhu "The Call of Cthulhu" which has been written in 1928 for the magazine "Weird Tales". The name "Ktulu" is originally written

Cthulhu originally sketched
by H.P. Lovecraft

"Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Source:
http://www.encycmet.com/songs/srktulu.shtml

3.Orion, it reminds the stars and the skies for everyone.

4.Suicide And Redemption, it reminds death and the beautiful part it: Redemption.

My reason for the opening of the poll is: In which song metallica have showed their feelings better? (sure the feelings have to be equal to their songs names)
and IMO it shows that when metallica was more "Creative" ? 1983, 1984, 1986 or 2008?

I Chooes "The CAll Of ktulu" myslef, and if have to be honest its the one song which i have my own feelings on it! cause i dont know nothing about "H.P. Lovecraftm". cause i didnt read his books. but IMO "The Call Of Ktulu" is so Creative and very Passonate.

Poll

Which Metallica's Instrumental Song You Prefer More?

The Call Of Ktulu
Orion
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
Suicide And Redemption

Total votes: 129
07.11.2012 - 20:45
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
I voted for The Call Of Ktulu, it's a really great song that flows fantastically and has a lot of feeling and passion. I almost voted for Anesthesia though, I really have a thing for Cliff's bass solos, and I love how he played them a little differently each time live. I also love the unique tone he had, the combination of the beautiful melody with the raw screeches of the thick bass strings and wah pedal, and the thinning treble effect of the distortion pedal and bridge pickup on the bass sound I think were extremely creative and fun to listen to.

Alternatively, I really don't like Orion at all. When I first bought Master of Puppets I had my iPod on shuffle and it came on while I was doing homework and I was confusedly wondering what it was. Had my sister's pop songs accidentally gotten on my iPod? It sounded disco-y, could it be ABBA? Soon, I realized it was Metallica and was severely disappointed. I think that it is unexciting, rather pop sounding and I don't like it. I guess the solos are pretty good, a lot of people like it, but it seriously isn't my kind of thing.
I know James Hetfield doesn't like Escape and called it disco-y, I like Escape, I don't think so, I think Orion is disco-y!
12.11.2012 - 20:23
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
The Call of Ktulu

Because it has an epic sweep and a majestic finale, making it a great album closer. I like Orion as well, but that one's basically "Fade in / chug chug / great middle section / chug chug / fade out".
21.11.2012 - 10:46
?enrisúlfr
It has to be "Call of Ktulu", I love the creepiness the guitar riffs make and those strange volume swells coming from the bass are very cool.
I love "To live is to die" also, perhaps more so, I would have voted for it had it been there.
08.07.2013 - 05:52
I have to say i prefer none of the above because the best one which is missing from the best album and justice for all is to live and die how could that be forgotten
08.07.2013 - 05:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yep, I'd choose To Live Is To Die as well. If you don't want to consider it an instrumental... Orion takes the silver.
01.08.2013 - 07:06
UPDIRNS
To Live Is To Die should be on this list and it's their best IMO. I picked Suicide and Redemption though because of the awesome groove that song has.
04.07.2014 - 12:45
Yossarian
Hi

It is Khtulu or Orion the choice really, though Anesthesia is a great artistic piece of perfomance, but just the bass.
I am going to check wtf is the last one. I expect that could even be a duet with Kylie Minogue or the spirit of Frank Sinatra:kopkop: