Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Interview Canceled After Pirate Bay Row

It seems that no matter how hard they try, Metallica will continue to make anti-piracy headlines. After their bloody battle with Napster years ago, they were determined to keep calm when their latest album, 'Death Magnetic', inevitably hit the torrents. This time, Metallica's Lars Ulrich shocked everyone by saying: "If this thing leaks all over the world today or tomorrow, happy days. It's 2008 and it's part of how it is these days."

Despite this effort, it hasn't taken long for people to start a dispute over piracy. According to a report, Metallica's label, Universal Music, canceled an interview the band had planned with the Swedish newspaper Sydsvenskan last week, after a writer there, Jonn Jeppsson, sparked off an anti-piracy row featuring him and The Pirate Bay.

Instead of reviewing the official version of the album, Jeppsson used an unauthorized cut called "Death Magnetic: Better, Shorter, Cut", which contains the same songs as the original, but shortened. If reviewing an unofficial copy wasn't enough, Mr Jeppson clearly enraged Universal when he admitted in his review that he downloaded his copy off The Pirate Bay.

Metallica's label Universal was not pleased, to say the least. Talking with Dagens Media, Universal Sweden's Per Sundin said: "The reviewer is referring to a torrent where someone has altered the original songs. The reviewer explains exactly where one should go in order to download the file that is totally infringing copyright. It's not only an illegal file, but an altered file. The reviewer also writes that this is how the album should have sounded."

Hinting that Universal may stop sending promo material for Sydsvenskan to review he ends: "We live in symbiosis with each other and we send them our artists' record for free for review. But if they download the albums illegally instead, then there's no point in doing that."

Source: torrentfreak.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 15.09.2008 by Ivan

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 50   Visited by: 305 users
16.09.2008 - 05:06
Dark Blood
The Avenger
^ I agree.. there's no point to be blaming torrent sites now. There have been torrents sites for many years now. It's not because of a stupid guy who decided to shorten an album (and another even more stupid that admited he has downloaded it) that will make torrents go down..
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.09.2008 - 11:45
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Ugh, yet another lame attempt by someone to capitalize off the band by getting attention in the press. The only thing particularly interesting about this whole ordeal is that I'd never heard someone use the word "row" with this meaning before. I actually had to use an online dictionary to confirm the definition.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.09.2008 - 12:29
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 16.09.2008 at 12:04

First and foremost, people make music for fun.

people, not Metallica.

i should really get this shortened version though. sounds interesting.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.09.2008 - 12:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Jason W. on 16.09.2008 at 11:45
The only thing particularly interesting about this whole ordeal is that I'd never heard someone use the word "row" with this meaning before. I actually had to use an online dictionary to confirm the definition.
Yeah, I thought Americans would get a bit confused. It's quite a British thing, rhymes with "how"
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
16.09.2008 - 12:51
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Syk on 16.09.2008 at 12:41

Written by Jason W. on 16.09.2008 at 11:45
The only thing particularly interesting about this whole ordeal is that I'd never heard someone use the word "row" with this meaning before. I actually had to use an online dictionary to confirm the definition.
Yeah, I thought Americans would get a bit confused. It's quite a British thing, rhymes with "how"

Hah! Really? Good to know I'm not sure where this knowledge will get me here in the US, but at least I can use it next time I enjoy too many beers
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.09.2008 - 18:02
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned

"If nobody bought CD's there would be no new albums."

Bulllllllllllllll shit.

So your opinion is that music is only a hobby, a way to waste some hours when you're bored? I take that as a personal insult - music is my life.
16.09.2008 - 18:24
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Guest on 16.09.2008 at 18:11

Written by Spyroid on 16.09.2008 at 18:02

Bulllllllllllllll shit.

So your opinion is that music is only a hobby, a way to waste some hours when you're bored? I take that as a personal insult - music is my life.

Then you won't mind not gettin' money for it!

If I was a musician who had music as a profession, I sure would've minded. Or did I missed your point?
16.09.2008 - 23:52
Symmachus

Written by Doc G. on 16.09.2008 at 00:42

Written by Symmachus on 16.09.2008 at 00:06

Jonn Jeppsson is a douche! Screw torrents! Screw abridgements! Screw downloads!

Jonn Jeppsson =

Yeah, agreed. If you want to download illegally, fine, your problem (Im a huge anti-downloader). But if its your profession to review an album then you shouldn't be pulling that shit.

But its good to see the record company is doing their job instead of leaving it up to the band to take care of that business.

Yeah, it sure is convenient that the label is getting involved.
17.09.2008 - 02:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Bulllllllllllllll shit.

Uhmmm...It does cost money to create a well produced album, and many people create music for fun yes, but also because they want people to hear their music, and promotion ain't 100% free either.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 03:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 17.09.2008 at 03:07

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 02:31

Bulllllllllllllll shit.

Uhmmm...It does cost money to create a well produced album, and many people create music for fun yes, but also because they want people to hear their music, and promotion ain't 100% free either.

So, what's your point? If you read my last post you're already aware of what I think. If they want their stuff heard so bad then they can spam people on myspace or maybe spend some cash getting it promoted. What they do to get their music known is not my problem. I'm not going to pay extra just because they did.

A band is certainly not doing me any favors by taking up my time with their music, I'm doing them a favor by listening to it; after all, that's why they spent all that money and/or time on promotion - they want attention.

The point I start paying is when I start demanding from the band. I'll pay to go to a show if I am a fan of the music, because at this point they're entertaining me because I want them to.

Ok, I understand, bands make money out of thin air. It comes in full circle: record company gives band money to make album, band makes album, releases album, record company gets a cut of profits, promotes album, sponsors a tour, gets a cut of the profits, then gives money to make another album. Money is an issue no matter how attractive these fantasies of music being 100% non profit driven are.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 04:20
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 17.09.2008 at 01:22
Well, my dad has been a blues and jazz musician (guitar, vocals, drums, bass) for 40 years. During that time of playing in bars and at concerts with other blues geeks he recorded one album under his name..........15 years ago. He has never made any real money off of it because there aren't legions of people dying to hear what an old fat white guy in Alaska is doing musically, but that's fine because he didn't make the album just to get paid for it. He made it because, like you, music is his life. All he does is play music. He learns a new instrument every year. He really loves making it and hearing it.

But his profession is ENTERTAINMENT. He gets paid to drag his old ass out to bars and give drunk people a reason to dance. That can be hard work and work is what people should get paid for.

So, I'll pay to see a band live and buy their t-shirt, but I think the idea of a "Music Industry" is depraved. Music is not a business, it's an art form and means of expression. If people want their messages heard they won't make people pay for 'em.
I'm just quoting because this post owns everybody
----

17.09.2008 - 08:53
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Guest on 17.09.2008 at 03:56

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 03:42

Ok, I understand, bands make money out of thin air. It comes in full circle: record company gives band money to make album, band makes album, releases album, record company gets a cut of profits, promotes album, sponsors a tour, gets a cut of the profits, then gives money to make another album. Money is an issue no matter how attractive these fantasies of music being 100% non profit driven are.

There's no dispute that money is needed for an industry to work, but my original argument was that music would not cease to exist just because people aren't paying the bills an artist has racked up on promotion and production by spending $15 - $20+ on albums.

All I'm really saying is FUCK THE MUSIC INDUSTRY. With today's technology artists can self produce anyways.

Why didn't you just write those four words instead of coming up with a loong post about your dad?
MY point is that people that get rich and famous might deserve to be so, and that's no reason not to buy their CD's if you want to hear their music. If your fathers band suddenly made sucess, got signed and got to play at mega venues, he probably wouldn't have minded if people didn't buy but downloaded his albums instead. Because he only plays music for fun. But I'm sure it would've felt a liiiittle bit annoying that he could've been a millionaire, but isn't. Because nobody is paying for his albums.
17.09.2008 - 18:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Fuck this band, anti piracy well for small band its maybe ok, but metallica, where the fuck thay spend mone, its like Boris becker who get miilions from tenis and spend it whit stupid woman, who suck you emty and elave you to rot
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.09.2008 - 20:48
totaliteraliter

What percentage of bands participate in this financial cycle? Like 5%, maybe 10%? Most music is made by people with day jobs, most are lucky too see a profit, most put more money into their passion than they ever make back. For every career band there are probably dozens in the underground doing it with their spare cash and their spare time...
17.09.2008 - 20:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by totaliteraliter on 17.09.2008 at 20:48

What percentage of bands participate in this financial cycle? Like 5%, maybe 10%? Most music is made by people with day jobs, most are lucky too see a profit, most put more money into their passion than they ever make back. For every career band there are probably dozens in the underground doing it with their spare cash and their spare time...

I understand that, but what percentage get promotion outside of their own city? or Country for that matter? I'm talking about bands signed to major labels.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2008 - 21:20
totaliteraliter

Written by Doc G. on 17.09.2008 at 20:58
I understand that, but what percentage get promotion outside of their own city? or Country for that matter? I'm talking about bands signed to major labels.

Well they can all get that sort of promotion potentially; word of mouth and self-promotion are far more wide reaching now with the internet. The point is that talking about the financial cycle of the music industry as if it any sort of necessity or even something beneficial for music isn't realistic.
19.09.2008 - 08:23
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Wait a minute... is this whole thing a joke? I just realized the news post repeatedly says Universal, while Metallica are with Warner... one of Universal's rivals.
----

19.09.2008 - 18:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Syk on 19.09.2008 at 08:23

Wait a minute... is this whole thing a joke? I just realized the news post repeatedly says Universal, while Metallica are with Warner... one of Universal's rivals.

Metallica are on Universal for outside the US. I just went to www.umusic.com (Universal's webstie) and there they are listed as being on Universal for outside the US. So this news does make sense since it happened outside the US>
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.09.2008 - 20:22
VPeter

Why does a Topic/Newsarticle/concert/ about Metallica always become a huge drama? relax folks.
21.09.2008 - 01:25
iMorphball

Written by Spyroid on 16.09.2008 at 00:44

Written by iMorphball on 15.09.2008 at 23:46

Written by Spyroid on 15.09.2008 at 21:08

Written by totaliteraliter on 15.09.2008 at 20:10

Seems dumb to cancel the interview, since the reviewer basically acted like a regular person and didn't lie about it. It boggles the mind that the band/label thinks this sends any kind of positive message to fans.

Written by Spyroid on 15.09.2008 at 19:52
Maybe they've just been lucky, but I don't think that is a reason to steal their money either.

Who is stealing Metallica's money?

People who download their music.

We're not stealing it, we're simply not giving them any >_>

So if you go to a supermarket and take all the food you want without paying, that isn't stealing?

No, because I simply heard it from a radio stream for free so I didnt have to buy >_> I didnt give them any money since Ride the Lightning anyways, why do they deserve it now? They've already made billions of dollars... Don't make it out like they're poor >_>

Hits total: 5294 | This month: 5