Metal Storm logo
Unleashed

18.09.2008 - 00:09
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Thought the extreme forum would benefit immensely from some discussion on this band. Not overly familiar with them beyond their last two albums but from what I can gather they've been making quality viking themed death metal for a good long time now and they seem to be pretty popular. Kinda has everything you could want in a death metal band really.
18.09.2008 - 01:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Unleashed is a band that never lets their fans down. Every album, for the most part, is quality. For some reason I still haven't checked out the newest album...
18.09.2008 - 01:46
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I like Unleashed to some extent they make good solid music, but i can't say i'm a fan. Sometimes i find their music is a little predictable which makes it repetitive. Though I have to admit that their solos, on Midvinterblot are simply great.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
18.09.2008 - 02:08
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Unleashed had a gnarly cover of Venom's "Black Metal" on the second disc of the Nasty Savage LP.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.09.2008 - 03:55
mortjoyeux
Interesting.
I have an album from Unleashed because a friend left it with me by accident.
I'm skeptical to listen though only because I really never find death metal to be appealing.
18.09.2008 - 09:22
SK921
Account deleted
Unleashed is good quality stuff. My favorite album is their first.
19.09.2008 - 15:53
Eternal Flames
Written by Dangerboner on 18.09.2008 at 01:39

Unleashed is a band that never lets their fans down. Every album, for the most part, is quality. For some reason I still haven't checked out the newest album...

The new album is very much similar to Midvinterblot. It's filled with some great riffs and insane solos. Basically, it's what you'd expect from an Unleashed album.

These guys (along with Amon Amarth) are one of the very few bands whose lack of experimentation works really well for them Some great straight-up death metal.
19.09.2008 - 16:52
The fact that a thread was just made on this band shows how underrated they are, though I wonder if this should've been in the melodic death forum. I really enjoyed Where No Life Dwells, and it seems like their newer material is just as good.
31.10.2008 - 05:16
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by theflyingmachine on 19.09.2008 at 16:52

The fact that a thread was just made on this band shows how underrated they are, though I wonder if this should've been in the melodic death forum. I really enjoyed Where No Life Dwells, and it seems like their newer material is just as good.

no, they belong with this genre. they are classic groovy death metal. They also have some of the catchiest riffs ever made....ever
----
Coldgrits
31.10.2008 - 10:26
TheBigRossowski
They will be playing with Shining in February, that should be a good show..
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
31.10.2008 - 23:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
It's hard for me to understand what's the deal with this band... their first two album are comepetent, but since 1993 they're sucking hard, becoming a parody of the genre by times. Boring music, bad-to-horrible lyrics...
31.10.2008 - 23:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 31.10.2008 at 23:29

bad-to-horrible lyrics...

Yeah the lyrics piss me the fuck off, and the fact that you can fully understand what he's saying makes it worse. I like the music though
01.11.2008 - 12:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lulz, do people really still care about lyrics in metal? 98% of all lyrics are terrible so why bother.
02.11.2008 - 00:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
If you can fully understand terrible lyrics, then they do annoy me and it distracts me from the actual music, but I rarely rate an album lower because of poor lyrics.
02.11.2008 - 02:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 12:19

Lulz, do people really still care about lyrics in metal? 98% of all lyrics are terrible so why bother.

I do care for lyrics in metal. People like me are rare in the scene but when I musically like a band I ALWAYS read the lyrics, when they're availible, and that usually reinforces or hurts my taste for the band. I don't have to love the lyrics of everything I listen too, they're just another tool among many others, but idiotic stuff like the lyrics of "Joy In The Sun" are usually enough to kill my interest for any band, especially if their music is nothing otherwordly neither.
26.04.2011 - 00:53
I enjoy this band, cheesy lyrics or not. Haven't picked up their latest offering yet.

A question for those who have a copy of their "As Yggdrasil Trembles" :

Do they still provide explanatory blurbs in the booklet about the songs' meanings?
If you have this album laying nearby, could you type the explanation blurb to the song "Yahweh And The Chosen Ones"? Am really curious what they were trying to get at with those lyrics.

Horns & thanks
26.04.2011 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 26.04.2011 at 00:53

"Yahweh And The Chosen Ones"

Quote:
There are still people in this world who claim to be holy from birth. And that "God did not make us the same as other families of the Earth". I didn't really create much of the lines in this lyrics myself, only some adjustments to fit the vocal melodies and such. Most of the text is taken from the books Deutoronomy and Exodus in the Hebrew Bible. It's all right there. The text in the "bridge" in the middle of the song is taken from a prayer called "Aleinu" found in the classical Jewish prayer book Siddur. Look it up if you can, Religion for the modern man in the twenty first century anyone?

Taken directly from the booklet (I own a Digipak version). (And yes, they still include blurbs for each song.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2011 - 19:12
Yasmine
I love Unleashed, good grooves, melodies, solo, etc. I don't see a problem with the lyrics, especially on the last couple of albums. Of course lyrics are usually an excuse to ignore the music. If it is done well, good execution, etc then it is, if not then it's not, lyrics are an after thought, or should be.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
26.04.2011 - 19:53
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Yasmine on 26.04.2011 at 19:12

I love Unleashed, good grooves, melodies, solo, etc. I don't see a problem with the lyrics, especially on the last couple of albums. Of course lyrics are usually an excuse to ignore the music. If it is done well, good execution, etc then it is, if not then it's not, lyrics are an after thought, or should be.

Or should be? I guess that depends pretty much on the person listening, and on the artist creating the music. Many artists pour their heart and soul into the lyrics, so it would lack some respect and appreciation for the whole thing, if you consider lyrics only as a mere by-product. Plus lyrics are the one part of the music you as a fan can contribute during a live show. And if you've ever been to an Unleashed show, you know that not singing/growling along is not an option. Unless you want Johnny to get pissed
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
26.04.2011 - 19:56
Yasmine
Written by Promonex on 26.04.2011 at 19:53

Written by Yasmine on 26.04.2011 at 19:12

Or should be? I guess that depends pretty much on the person listening, and on the artist creating the music. Many artists pour their heart and soul into the lyrics, so it would lack some respect and appreciation for the whole thing, if you consider lyrics only as a mere by-product. Plus lyrics are the one part of the music you as a fan can contribute during a live show. And if you've ever been to an Unleashed show, you know that not singing/growling along is not an option. Unless you want Johnny to get pissed

haha, but sometimes they are a by-product, or not need at all, as I do love classical music. I realize for a band like say Nevermore the lyrics aren't a by-product, but for many that are. However by-product or not I usually read em once and don't much listen to them when I listen to the music with most bands, there's a few I pay attention to.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
07.05.2011 - 18:53
P.W. Bear
Written by Dangerboner on 18.09.2008 at 01:39

"Victory" and "Warrior" are pretty bad and "Hell's Unleashed" is best used as skeet (that is one of the WORST Death Metal albums ever). However, the rest of their work has some definite quality on it. The first two and their most recent two are absolute beasts. They, like many established bands of the time, had their downpoint in the late 90's, but in the last few years have resurged back to the the top of their game.

In my opinion they have surpassed recent output from bands they played second fiddle to in the early 90's (Grave & Entombed being two of the most notable).
09.05.2011 - 02:49
Yasmine
I loathe Warrior, stupid short songs, but I really don't think Hell's Unleashed is too bad at all. The rest is great, I like the last 2 and Midvinterblot and Sworn Alligeance, "Winterland" is still one of my favorite DM songs ever.
----
10.10.2011 - 22:36
ncnsstnt
I don't think these guys did much that was interesting after 1993. "Where No Life Dwells" is solid, though.

They are featured on part 4 of my 7.5 hour death metal mix mentioned in my signature.
----
I created a 7 part, 7.5 hour mix called "Survey of the First Generation of Death Metal". I cover death metal music from 1981-1993. It is free to listen on Mixcloud. Start the journey here: http://i.mixcloud.com/Cmo5d
22.10.2011 - 00:47
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Where No Life Dwells is simply epic and mindblowing.
22.10.2011 - 02:20
JÄY
Metal slave
....and amon amarth gets all the credit!
22.10.2011 - 12:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by JÄY on 22.10.2011 at 02:20

....and amon amarth gets all the credit!

This calls for spamming Metallica/Bodom videos in the name of the Metal Militia!

Where No Life Dwells is obviously classic, mhm.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.10.2011 - 13:00
Savopipo

Lyrics are important. I guess that's why I seldom listen to Death because the lyrics are (most of the time) impossible to hear and if you find them written it's usually not very thought through. This of course is horrible generalization but you understand what I mean.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
22.10.2011 - 13:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Savopipo on 22.10.2011 at 13:00

Lyrics are important. I guess that's why I seldom listen to Death because the lyrics are (most of the time) impossible to hear and if you find them written it's usually not very thought through. This of course is horrible generalization but you understand what I mean.

The only time I will ever give any sort of crap about lyrics is if an extraordinary amount of effort has been put into it, like in The Meads of Asphodel's last album, but for everything else lyrics mean absolutely nothing to me and contribute to less than 1% of the musical experience.
22.10.2011 - 14:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Savopipo on 22.10.2011 at 13:00

What about lyrics in another language? If you don't understand them and you don't have the possibility to translate them then you won't listen because they mean so much?

For me lyrics are only a plus, Awesome lyrics are awesome, bad lyrics on the other hand aren't something negative that influences the music in any way at all and that is not even a subjective matter... Because the only way words could influence the impact of an album on a REAL musical level is how they sound (there are some languages I find annoying).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.12.2011 - 05:38
Sacrificial
I'd say "As Yggdrasil Trembles" was a step down from the form shown on "Hammer Battalion". Hopefully they will step up again