Metal Storm logo
Old School Punk: UK VS USA

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 21.09.2008 - 06:21
Lately I've been listening to a lot of classic 1970s Punk and noticed there was a really good balance of great old school punk bands coming from both the UK and The US/NA, which side was better?

USA examples:
The Misfits
The Ramones
The Germs
Black Flag
Bad Religion
FEAR
Dead Kennedys
Circle Jerks
DOA

UK Examples:
Sex Pistols
The Damned
The Clash
Exploited

Which side was better?

Personally I chose the US, I love the Ramones and I've recently found out how much I enjoy The Misfits, and the only part that made it a tough decision for me was the fact that the UK has The Damned.

What does everyone else think?

Poll

Which Side Of The Ocean Had The Better Old School Punk?

UK
USA

Total votes: 45
19.09.2010 - 04:38
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
LOL @ 99.78%
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
24.09.2010 - 14:02
JD
Account deleted
Go USA!
11.10.2010 - 13:13
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
I'll stick to the UK scene due to the 80s, cause they own The Angelic Upstarts, The Adicts and The Damned (from the 70s of course), although i like a lot of the USA thingies around!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
23.02.2011 - 05:32
.Nemesis.
US, because they have The Misfits (!!!)
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
23.02.2011 - 20:25
ANGEL REAPER
Both scenes were good but I prefer UK scene
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.03.2011 - 11:18
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
It's hard to choose, but I voted US, mainly because The Ramones are the only punk band I can never get tired too. But overall, the whole punk/punk-rock and later on punk scene was much more appealing in UK to me. If I could go back in the furture I would definately choose the late 70s/early 80s in the UK.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.03.2011 - 22:33
fabregassed
Account deleted
Does old school punk include the hardcore scene? If not then UK, but if it includes hardcore, USA all the way..
20.03.2011 - 09:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 19.03.2011 at 22:33

Does old school punk include the hardcore scene? If not then UK, but if it includes hardcore, USA all the way..

Absolutely.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.10.2011 - 20:16
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2011 at 09:30

Written by Guest on 19.03.2011 at 22:33

Absolutely.

Hell yeah, UK has alot of good classic punk, but the US is the country who made hardcore. And thats the best punk.
10.12.2011 - 07:36
second_coming89
Account deleted
For old school, it's the UK for me, no competition. Look at the skinhead bands and crust bands!
For modern punk the U.S. is better to me though.
01.01.2012 - 16:47
Aristarchos
Sex pistols is the only old punk band I really love.
13.01.2012 - 16:43
FrozenCorpse
I'm voting USA, Because of one band, that was not on the USA List..The Dead Boys.
12.03.2012 - 08:04
Sonic MrSumo
US purely on the basis of The Ramones.

"I don't wanna be a pinhead no more"
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
17.03.2012 - 06:58
Branzig
I'm a HUGE hardcore fan!

Dead Kennedys, Negative Approach, The Dicks, The Big Boys, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat, Reagan Youth, MDC, the Misfits, The Necros....

American Hardcore ALWAYS WINS!
----
In Grind We Crust
23.03.2012 - 21:01
mojo
UK punk, though I love loads of the US bands - Dead Kennedys and The Misfits especially. Why UK? Two bands - Crass, and Conflict. Anyone who likes punk needs to hear (and read the lyrics of) "The Ungovernable Force". Plus, I was down the front at nuff punk gigs when I was 15/16 and it was a formative experience.

Oh yeah, and Discharge. And Amebix.

Also, Napalm Death - I know they're not punk any more but they were at first, and when "Scum" came out I'd never heard anything like it. Down the front again, oh yes...
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
24.03.2012 - 15:46
Branzig
Written by mojo on 23.03.2012 at 21:01

Crass, and Conflict

I'll give you that those two bands are reallllly fucking good.

I have most their works and enjoy them all quite a bit.

Fuck I love punk!

I obviously love Napalm Death, but they will forever be classifies as grind too me.
----
In Grind We Crust
27.01.2013 - 08:15
squidrick420
I like the aggression of the USA scene more, there are some UK bands that I enjoy but overall i prefer USA. This is also because the USA had several different regional scenes with unique sounds due to the sheer size of the country, the UK is smaller so there is less diversity.