Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
11.02.2010 - 12:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I listened now to To Live Is To Die after quite a while, but i haven't heard the lyrics.. where the hell are they?
11.02.2010 - 13:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Valentin B on 11.02.2010 at 12:25

I listened now to To Live Is To Die after quite a while, but i haven't heard the lyrics.. where the hell are they?

Near the end of the song and it's only spoken words in the background.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
02.03.2010 - 12:50
farshid

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can not bear to witness any longer
Can not the kingdom of salvation take me home

this is the lyrics
this song is made in the memory of Cliff Burton and I think it does have a great solo.
02.03.2010 - 18:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Those ''To Live Is To Die" lyrics were actually written by Cliff, and that song is the last to feature his writing. James Hetfield actually plays the guitar solo in the soft guitar section, (at 5:54) and it sends shivers through me every time. Its a very poignant and beautiful part of the song. My fave part in fact. I really think James should have played more solos in Metallica, because the rare times he does play them, they're always highlights of the songs they're in. He is a legendary rhythm player, but I think he's a very underrated lead guitarist too!
02.03.2010 - 19:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Dm not as good as the old metallica
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.03.2010 - 19:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.03.2010 at 19:17

Death Magnetic? Its not quite as good as their first 4 albums for sure, but it's still a great album, with some awesome moments which are on a par with their classic material. Its definitely a great return to form by Metallica, and if the next album can improve on it, they might just have one last classic album up their sleeve. Im sceptical, but I hope that happens!
02.03.2010 - 22:47
the stranger

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.03.2010 at 18:54

I really think James should have played more solos in Metallica, because the rare times he does play them, they're always highlights of the songs they're in. He is a legendary rhythm player, but I think he's a very underrated lead guitarist too!

That's an opinion I've heard before. I friend of mine told me the same thing when we were waiting for the concert, I started to think about what he(and now you) said and realized he(and you) were right, he should play more solos.
03.03.2010 - 03:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by the stranger on 02.03.2010 at 22:47
That's an opinion I've heard before. I friend of mine told me the same thing when we were waiting for the concert, I started to think about what he(and now you) said and realized he(and you) were right, he should play more solos.

Don't get me wrong, me wishing James played more solos is nothing against Kirk. Kirk is a better lead player technically, so should still have the bulk of the solos. But, I think James' abilities are too good for them to not be allowed to shine more. I also think James playing more solos would give Kirk's solos more impact as their styles are very different, and would compliment each other.
03.03.2010 - 03:52
the stranger

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.03.2010 at 03:12

Written by the stranger on 02.03.2010 at 22:47

Don't get me wrong, me wishing James played more solos is nothing against Kirk. Kirk is a better lead player technically, so should still have the bulk of the solos. But, I think James' abilities are too good for them to not be allowed to shine more. I also think James playing more solos would give Kirk's solos more impact as their styles are very different, and would compliment each other.

I didn't get you wrong. I knew you meant that.
Maybe a solo by each one after another. Now THAT would be interesting.
03.03.2010 - 10:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by the stranger on 03.03.2010 at 03:52
I didn't get you wrong. I knew you meant that.
Maybe a solo by each one after another. Now THAT would be interesting.

It was just a figure of speech.

That would be awesome! They should definitely do that at least once in a song. And Im disappointed that it hasn't happened before now.

Interestingly, I think James may have played more solos if he hadn't been the singer. I remember hearing that one of the main reasons he originally wanted someone else to sing, was so that he could concentrate on his guitar playing more.
03.03.2010 - 13:38
Lord_Regnier

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.03.2010 at 19:23

Death Magnetic? Its not quite as good as their first 4 albums for sure, but it's still a great album, with some awesome moments which are on a par with their classic material. Its definitely a great return to form by Metallica, and if the next album can improve on it, they might just have one last classic album up their sleeve. Im sceptical, but I hope that happens!

Sorry but I completely disagree. The album sucks. It's less awful than "Load", "Reload" or "St Anger" but it doesn't mean it's any good. All those albums, and the black album, are garbage, so it's really not hard to beat them.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.03.2010 - 16:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.03.2010 at 13:38
Sorry but I completely disagree. The album sucks. It's less awful than "Load", "Reload" or "St Anger" but it doesn't mean it's any good. All those albums, and the black album, are garbage, so it's really not hard to beat them.

Wow, we actually disagree on something? Ah well, it had to happen at some point I guess!

Ive never hated any album Metallica have done, including "St. Anger". (Although that album is highly flawed) For me, there's 2 things which stop "Death Magnetic" from being a classic like their first 4 albums. One, is unlike all the long songs on the first 4 albums, a lot of the long songs on Death Magnetic suffer from sounding disjointed. Like a load of random riffs just thrown in together. It just sounds a bit forced in places. And two, "Suicide And Redemption". By far the worst of their instrumentals, which only features one good 2-3 minute section in a song which is nearly 10 minutes long. However, some songs like "That Was Just Your Life" manage to avoid the first criticsm, and are amazing Metallica songs.

I actually find it funny when people say that Metallica stopped being good after Cliff died. "...And Justice For All" is an amazing album, and only its terrible production prevents it from being a contender for my fave Metallica album. The songs themselves are awesome.
03.03.2010 - 16:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.03.2010 at 16:00

I actually find it funny when people say that Metallica stopped being good after Cliff died. "...And Justice For All" is an amazing album, and only its terrible production prevents it from being a contender for my fave Metallica album. The songs themselves are awesome.

Well I totally disagree with you on And Justice, that was the first of their bad albums and already indicating their downfall. Only three good to great tracks do not a classic make in my opinion. Blackened, One, Dyer's Eve are all great but the rest are disjointed meandering wanna be prog almost abominations.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2010 - 17:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.03.2010 at 19:23

maybe...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.03.2010 - 19:36
snook

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2010 at 16:24

Well I totally disagree with you on And Justice, that was the first of their bad albums and already indicating their downfall. Only three good to great tracks do not a classic make in my opinion. Blackened, One, Dyer's Eve are all great but the rest are disjointed meandering wanna be prog almost abominations.

I think you're a little overexaggerating. While the album most certainly wasn't as good as their previous 3, it's still a pretty awesome album, that most of the bands out there would be extremely glad if they'd came up with it themselves. Definitley not a bad album by any standards.

I mean come on... cut the guys some slack. After comming out with 3 straight amazing albums which left the music world shocked and made them instant gods of metal... they realese a great album (i'm not saying an amazing one, but a great one) and the people are/were already dissappointed. Geez...

The aggression was still there, not to mention Hetfield's voice was still pretty fucking sweet at that time (compared to their later albums)
03.03.2010 - 20:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2010 at 16:24

Hmm...Im pretty sure thats the first time Ive heard Justice reffered to as a bad album! I guess it's all just opinions at the end of the day. "One" is usually widely regarded as Justice's best song, or one of the best. Yet I know someone who doesn't like it.

"Dyer's Eve" is actually my fave Metallica song, and the opening song "Blackened" is just as awesome and intense. I totally disagree about the other songs being disjointed. That's how I feel about some of the songs on "Death Magnetic". None of the riffs on the Justice songs feel out of place, and none of the songs feel overly long. In fact most of the long songs seem much shorter than they actually are to me, because they're so seamless in they're construction. "To Live Is To Die" is maybe the only song that could have been done with trimming a little. As the main riff is repeated maybe a little too much. I see Justice as being the conclusion of the more progressive route they'd been on since "Ride The Lightning" onwards. And even without Cliff, the album is definitely a classic, and masterwork to me. Which is only let down by its poor production. It definitely deserves a much better sound than it has. I feel it is Metallica's most underrated album. Because as much as most fans do like it, it's usually not heralded as the classics that the first three are. For me, it is right up there, and is the last classic album they did. Though I do enjoy all of Metallica's later albums.
06.03.2010 - 01:49
xplanet2112

..And Justice For All's brilliant in my opinion and I prefer it to all of their work with the exception of Master of Puppets. A lot of people criticize the sound/mix but how many albums after justice did you hear with clicking bass drums? Quite a lot to my ears! All of the Scott Burns produced albums sounded very similar to the Justice production and that dry sound ment that everything sounded very tight on Justice without the need for Pro-Tools (St Anger!) The songs were long but they all went some where on Justice, I know they got sick of playing those long songs and reached for the simple song structures found on The Black Album, that can't be said for St Anger or Death Magnetic which both seem to me to be collection of riffs thrown together in Pro-Tools (St Anger!!). It sounds as though they really worked on the Justice songs, for example, the verse in Eye of the Beholder where the double bass drums start, brilliant!! The longer songs on Justice, as well as the technical playing by Megadeth on Rust In Peace set me on a course to discover the more progressive and tech type metal... So, ...And Justice For All, I thank you!!
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
06.03.2010 - 21:18
Reza
Account deleted
For me Black album is the best. I believe all songs in this album are great especially Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven. Their first 4 albums are great too but IMO it's not fair that we compare them with "Black" because they are in different genres.
07.03.2010 - 19:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Nobody ever says that the Black Album is the best Metallica album...its refreshing to see a change in opinion...
07.03.2010 - 20:36
Reza
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.03.2010 at 19:15

Nobody ever says that the Black Album is the best Metallica album...its refreshing to see a change in opinion...

There is no doubt, their first 4 albums and especially "Master Of Puppets" and "Ride The Lightning" are awesome thrash albums but you know that "Black" is a heavy metal album and it's awesome too IMO. Can you compare some thrash albums with a heavy album? It's so hard at least for me and IMO it just depends on your taste. I love Black Album more than them and in fact I love Heavy Metal genre more than Thrash.
09.03.2010 - 12:45
farshid

IMO master of puppets is not only the best album of Metallica but one of the best albums ever made in metal history
first three albums were excellent and also I love And justice for all but I think from the Black album they went into a heavy style which is not an expectable thrash Metallica but in DM they tried to do the same as old days and I think after Justice DM is the next good album .
30.05.2010 - 17:56
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Anyone knows about opening of the lottery for ''meet and greet'' for the next month?
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
30.05.2010 - 18:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
I pretty much share the common view that Metallica started sucking after ...And Justice for All. The Black Album was a total departure from their style and not really a good album, IMO. Load and ReLoad had some good parts here and there, but for the most part I hated it. And St. Anger was a total mess.

I was hyped up about Death Magnetic's advertising as "Metallica's return to its roots". But they totally ruined it. Clipping, the thrash parts were polished to give it a more mainstream sound and some repetitiveness. Nowadays I laugh at Metallica fans who think they're awesome for listening to them.

But Kill 'Em All-...And Justice for All are amazing albums.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
30.05.2010 - 19:50
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Black Album rocks, love it or hate, its Meatllicas best album after 80's without a doubt.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
30.05.2010 - 20:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Okay, that is true. Although I'm not sure if DM's "polished thrash" sound or The Black Album's is better.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
02.06.2010 - 16:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Metallica's first recording, yup, it's Hit The Lights. my speakers almost turned to pure cheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_U71PNUn4&feature=player_embedded
02.06.2010 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 16:39

Metallica's first recording, yup, it's Hit The Lights. my speakers almost turned to pure cheese

If it's the first recording of Hit The Lights why does it show Mustaine on the picture?
The first recording of Hit The Lights appears on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I and has Lloyd Grant playing instead of Mustaine.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 21:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 21:30

Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 16:39

If it's the first recording of Hit The Lights why does it show Mustaine on the picture?
The first recording of Hit The Lights appears on the first pressing of Metal Massacre I and has Lloyd Grant playing instead of Mustaine.

that's the recording. what does the picture have anything to do with the song? it's just an old picture of Metallica after having recruited him.
02.06.2010 - 21:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 21:48

that's the recording. what does the picture have anything to do with the song? it's just an old picture of Metallica after having recruited him.

That is not that recording. This is like it says in the info a live recording. It says: "the legendary band's earliest live soundboard recording, October 18th, 1982, Old Waldorf, San Francisco."

Here is a link to the MM1 recording http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/2010/04/va-metal-massacre-1-1st-pressing.html
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 22:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 21:58

Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 21:48

That is not that recording. This is like it says in the info a live recording. It says: "the legendary band's earliest live soundboard recording, October 18th, 1982, Old Waldorf, San Francisco."

Here is a link to the MM1 recording http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/2010/04/va-metal-massacre-1-1st-pressing.html

shit, i didn't read that all. anyway when was the MM1 recording done?