Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
02.06.2010 - 22:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 22:12

shit, i didn't read that all. anyway when was the MM1 recording done?

I can't find that anywhere. But it is engraved in my mind that I bought MM1 when it was between te mid tens to high tens celscius temperature wise. So that has to be before October. But not sure though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 22:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Google is my best friend. Got it... Released on June 14, 1982
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 22:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 22:14

I can't find that anywhere. But it is engraved in my mind that I bought MM1 when it was between te mid tens to high tens celscius temperature wise. So that has to be before October. But not sure though.

HOLY SHIT that recording is BAAD... apart from the lead guitar i'm pretty sure i personally could have done a far better job on every possible instrument all the while playing it as fast as on the Kill'em All cd.

it's interesting how good Hetfield has become over the years at rhythm guitar and vocals, starting out at such a shit level.
02.06.2010 - 22:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 22:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 22:14

HOLY SHIT that recording is BAAD... apart from the lead guitar i'm pretty sure i personally could have done a far better job on every possible instrument all the while playing it as fast as on the Kill'em All cd.

it's interesting how good Hetfield has become over the years at rhythm guitar and vocals, starting out at such a shit level.

I am not even sure he played rhythm on that version.

Btw I doubt you would have done better on that recording back in 1982
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2010 - 23:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 22:36

sure, it's understandable that they did their best given the development of music recording technology, but i'm not talking about production here(i am after all a big fan of Venom's first 2 albums).. i'm talking about musicianship.. drums are frequently out of time and unimaginative as hell, vocals utterly SUCK, there is no bass, only rhythm and lead guitars are okay.
02.06.2010 - 23:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 02.06.2010 at 23:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2010 at 22:36

sure, it's understandable that they did their best given the development of music recording technology, but i'm not talking about production here(i am after all a big fan of Venom's first 2 albums).. i'm talking about musicianship.. drums are frequently out of time and unimaginative as hell, vocals utterly SUCK, there is no bass, only rhythm and lead guitars are okay.

You have no idea what the impact of this recording was at the time. This music had never been played before. Totally fresh and imaginative. Judging about it 28 years later when so many things have changed and people think they are good musicians due to protools and stuff is showing that one has no notion of how innovative this all was. And remember the guys in the band weren't even 20 yet. I would love to hear people of that age come up with something as groundbreaking as Hit The Lights today.
Metallica at the time were a lot tighter than 90% of the bands around, just listen to Welcome To Hell for instance. And the drums out of time is, well this was a live in the studio recording. And Ulrich has ALWAYS played out of time live, even nowadays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.06.2010 - 11:12
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Http://www.musicfanclubs.org/metallica/cliffsfacts.htm

... Dave told me that Cliff eventually wanted to start his own band where he could play lead bass. He said that Metallica would have been his platform to do that. He said, " I don't think he would have been caged in Metallica forever."
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
27.06.2010 - 00:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Just came back from their headlining day at Sonisphere and i must say i now realize why people diss Lars so much, it's because live he is a very sloppy drummer, at least when considering his counterparts in the other big 4 bands, or simply how good he should actually be when considering he's been playing drums for 30 years. his (absurdly over-amplified) bass drum technique "shined" the most during One. i think he would be regarded as a dime-a-dozen drummer(which he is apparently) if he was not a member of Metallica.

other than that, it was a great show, i couldn't enjoy it as much because i was extremely tired, they even had a few surprises in the set like Fight Fire With Fire or Disposable Heroes.
27.06.2010 - 08:59
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Yeah, Lars really isn't anything great when it comes to skill. One thing I do like about him, is his stage attitude, like how he stands up sometimes and such. It's just too bad his playing isn't that great.
27.06.2010 - 10:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Xim on 27.06.2010 at 08:59

Yeah, Lars really isn't anything great when it comes to skill. One thing I do like about him, is his stage attitude, like how he stands up sometimes and such. It's just too bad his playing isn't that great.

yup, he did indeed have some stage presence for a drummer, but FFS it was almost embarrassing how high his bass drums were turned up(i was 15-20 meters from the stage my shirt was pretty much moving in sync with it) and how sloppy he was using it.

Hetfield imo is by far the best musician in the band.
28.06.2010 - 01:39
Vndergrovnd

I once loved Metallica, now I utterly despise them. I give credit to them for bringing up Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton, but as for the rest of the group; shame! Kirk Hammet is a legendary guitarist to many, but I can do without his playing.
28.06.2010 - 15:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vndergrovnd on 28.06.2010 at 01:39

I once loved Metallica, now I utterly despise them. I give credit to them for bringing up Dave Mustaine and Cliff Burton, but as for the rest of the group; shame! Kirk Hammet is a legendary guitarist to many, but I can do without his playing.

You and pretty much every metalhead. XD (except the Metallica diehards)
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.07.2010 - 11:13
MetalFist
Account deleted
I love Metallica, even though a few of their most recent albums (looks at St Anger, Load and ReLoad) aren't amazing. But they have influenced Metal and what is today by influencing Godsmack, Bullet For My Valentine, Korn and Machine Head. They are also one of the big four, and that is incredible influential.

Metallica
06.07.2010 - 07:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Another thing i don't like about Metallica nowadays is that the whole concert experience is spoiled. i hate to sound like the "trve" crowd, but there's either the blind fanboys or the people who know Enter Sandman and all of a sudden they deem themselves fans of the band and go see them just for the lulz and to piss people off by their presence. seriously, where i was sitting i was the ONLY ONE to know exactly what songs they played, and, even more depressing, the only one who actually knew the lyrics to Master of Puppets apart from the chorus obviously.

they played Fight Fire With Fire and Hit The Lights but aside from the people at the very front, nobody was moving a muscle, probably waiting for them to play Mama Said or some other halfassed piece of shit. instead, on Enter Sandman everyone was jumping around like morons.
06.07.2010 - 08:46
the stranger

Written by Valentin B on 06.07.2010 at 07:59

Another thing i don't like about Metallica nowadays is that the whole concert experience is spoiled. i hate to sound like the "trve" crowd, but there's either the blind fanboys or the people who know Enter Sandman and all of a sudden they deem themselves fans of the band and go see them just for the lulz and to piss people off by their presence. seriously, where i was sitting i was the ONLY ONE to know exactly what songs they played, and, even more depressing, the only one who actually knew the lyrics to Master of Puppets apart from the chorus obviously.

they played Fight Fire With Fire and Hit The Lights but aside from the people at the very front, nobody was moving a muscle, probably waiting for them to play Mama Said or some other halfassed piece of shit. instead, on Enter Sandman everyone was jumping around like morons.

Dude, that's not a problem with the band, that's a problem with the crowd. Here, when they played, everybody moved even if they didn't know the song, even singing the chorus after a little while. My friends who went to the tribune(I was among the sick people near the stage) told me later that the field looked like a fucking raging sea because of all the jumping and pogo, the whole field. And, hell yeah, my body ached for a whole week. We sang along the solos, being the most memorable the first solo of Fade To Black. I sang along the chorus of Broken, Beat and Scarred. Now, whenever I hear the concert again, I feel the same wilderness flowing through me. It was one hell of an experience. The best concert I've ever been to. So, as I said, the problem is not the band, the problem was the crowd, the crowd fucked up the concert for you, while in my case, it made the concert even better.
06.07.2010 - 19:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by the stranger on 06.07.2010 at 08:46

Dude, that's not a problem with the band, that's a problem with the crowd. Here, when they played, everybody moved even if they didn't know the song, even singing the chorus after a little while. My friends who went to the tribune(I was among the sick people near the stage) told me later that the field looked like a fucking raging sea because of all the jumping and pogo, the whole field. And, hell yeah, my body ached for a whole week. We sang along the solos, being the most memorable the first solo of Fade To Black. I sang along the chorus of Broken, Beat and Scarred. Now, whenever I hear the concert again, I feel the same wilderness flowing through me. It was one hell of an experience. The best concert I've ever been to. So, as I said, the problem is not the band, the problem was the crowd, the crowd fucked up the concert for you, while in my case, it made the concert even better.

yeah, i forgot to specify, at least when it comes to places where metal isn't as well-developed so as Metallica could have tons of rabid fans, but where they are reasonably well-known in order to attract lots of people, some of which just want to look cool by being in the trendiest places, like Metallica concerts.
08.07.2010 - 15:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema

I love the song "Hit the Lights", I play it all the time, fast and heavy

When they played that song here I almost died of excitement.

Yes, you get a lot of people who only know the single and go there only to listen to certain songs but that's normal at every show, isn't it really?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.07.2010 - 20:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Indeed many people at metal concerts know little about the bands that are performing, but honestly, I'm getting sick of hearing about Metallica songs. All the titles, the riffs, I've had too much, that I'm now a bit sick of it. This isn't with other bands, just Metallica, it seems.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.07.2010 - 21:49
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Ive got an original guitar pick in the Istanbul Sonisphere which says Metallica Sux! '08 '09 '10, so they suck as well dont be so afraid of that haha.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
29.03.2011 - 09:32
Mad Mike

There is nothing, absolutely nothing I can say about this band that hasn't already been said. Including what I'm about to say...

The way I see it, if their immense popularity can get more people introduced to metal, then it's win-win
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
29.03.2011 - 09:51
Andre

Since it's a rather active and already covered a lot of ground, I'll just say that:

- Metallica's earlier music kicked ass,
- Death magnetic was way better than St. Anger,
- Great live plays,
- Lars is an idiot, who can play drums.
30.03.2011 - 08:24
Void_Eater
Account deleted
There's nothing I can say about this band that hasn't allready been said.. But I'll talk anyways. Despite being one of my favorite bands, they are incredibally overrated, as we all should know. MoP in particular, generally hailed as one of the best albums ever, is so inconsistent it's hard to listen to. Four thrashers and four snoozers on it, nothing legendary. RTL, on the other hand, is one of the best damn albums ever, and almost makes them worthy of their massive fame. Kill'em All is really fun album, and does have some great thrash on it, but nothing extraordinary, although it's influence is massive. Worthy of it's status as the definitive thrash album, and a complete classic.. AJFA is also quite good, providing some balls out thrashers and a unique doom/thrash thing going on that I've seldom heard other bands do. The Black album is fine for what it is, a hard rock/trad metal album obviously geared towards commercial success. I don't see Load as a sellout in any way- Seeing as the Black Album became one of the best selling albums of all time, if they were just in it for money they would have continued their trad metal sound. Instead they went for an alt/blues rock approach that worked out well sometimes and sucked other times. Reload has 5 tolerable songs and the rest ranks among their worst material, only behind none other than St. Anger. Death Magnetic is a nice comeback-Not a ful fledged thrash album, but they hadn't done a full on thrash album since Kill'em All.

So a band with 3 great albums 3 decent albums, and 2 albums filled with musical shit. Nothing worthy of being called the greatest metal band ever. It irritates me that if the band literally just recorded themselves taking a shit, it would still sell millions of copies, because it's Metallica... I do owe it to them for being the first metal band I heard-My bro was playing Fade to Black on his computer, and I was just amazed. Dare I say it was a life changing experience-It started me on the road to a metalhead, soon to be followed by Maided, Megadeth, Pantera, and Overkill, as other gateway bands. To this day Fade to Black remains one of my all time favorite songs. Of course it was only about four years ago, so not that long ago relative to a lot of people here.

Oh, and Lars sucks. Juz sayin.
02.04.2011 - 06:48
Shadrahk

Lars is retarded
----
Guys, don't be racist. Racism is a crime. And crime is for niggers.
28.04.2011 - 18:28
DaReDeViL

Since my metallica fan boyism is over I'd say that they are a good introduction to metal but there is thousands of bands out there way better than them but they should be given credit for inspiring lots of bands and also for bringing thrash metal to life
29.04.2011 - 00:17
RavenKing

I wonder what the hell Metallica are doing in the "extreme metal" section and why they're still labeled as Thrash. Come on, Metallica's Thrash days are long gone.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.04.2011 - 00:57
DaReDeViL

Written by RavenKing on 29.04.2011 at 00:17

I wonder what the hell Metallica are doing in the "extreme metal" section and why they're still labeled as Thrash. Come on, Metallica's Thrash days are long gone.

they played thrash in the past so they are here...
03.03.2012 - 16:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, looking back on their more recent concerts, Metallica has NOT aged well... I'm looking at the video of Creeping Death live in Sofia and it makes me sad that a band that actually wrote that song in a time when people would brand them as satan worshippers, is reduced to trying too hard to stay relevant when they are clearly upstaged and got embarassingly rusty on all instruments (aside from Hetfield's guitar skills).
03.03.2012 - 18:31
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Valentin B on 03.03.2012 at 16:10

(aside from Hetfield's guitar skills).

Excuse me??! I think it should be Kirk's guitar skills.
03.03.2012 - 19:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 18:31

If you mean that Kirk can't play a solo anymore unlike James, who still plays very well, then that's what Valentin B meant (and you too agree); otherwise, I don't know what the heck you are you talking about.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
03.03.2012 - 19:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by K✞ulu on 03.03.2012 at 19:00

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 18:31

If you mean that Kirk can't play a solo anymore unlike James, who still plays very well, then that's what Valentin B meant (and you too agree); otherwise, I don't know what the heck you are you talking about.

James is pathetic in solo.