Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
29.06.2013 - 06:44
Deathevokation

Laughing that they are listed under "extreme" metal. They've become hard rock even though their old stuff is thrash.
01.07.2013 - 23:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Deathevokation on 29.06.2013 at 06:44

Laughing that they are listed under "extreme" metal. They've become hard rock even though their old stuff is thrash.

Well, while they don't play extreme metal anymore, their glory days did revolve around thrash. Although I wouldn't consider thrash metal to be extreme, the general consensus seems to be that it is a form of extreme metal... so oh well.
02.07.2013 - 13:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 01.07.2013 at 23:00
Well, while they don't play extreme metal anymore, their glory days did revolve around thrash. Although I wouldn't consider thrash metal to be extreme, the general consensus seems to be that it is a form of extreme metal... so oh well.

Melodic and alternative would be even worse options.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.07.2013 - 17:23
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.07.2013 at 13:42

Melodic and alternative would be even worse options.

Yeah I guess that's true.
02.09.2013 - 08:41
Chainsaw239

Load and ReLoad get too much hate. They're good rock albums. Horrible thrash albums, but great rock albums.
02.09.2013 - 09:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Chainsaw239 on 02.09.2013 at 08:41

Load and ReLoad get too much hate. They're good rock albums. Horrible thrash albums, but great rock albums.

it's not even a proper ROCK album. If you haven't listened to "great rock" albums, surely you gonna love this shit. It's just a plain record to honor Lou, which significantly back-fired on him getting labelled as a worst record ever. I do respect him for what he did for Velvet though.
02.09.2013 - 09:31
FOOCK Nam

I like both Load and Reload, heard that songs like Bleeding Me has blue element. i agree that they are not much thrash but i see heavy metal in the music of those two.
02.09.2013 - 14:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.09.2013 at 09:16

Written by Chainsaw239 on 02.09.2013 at 08:41

it's not even a proper ROCK album. If you haven't listened to "great rock" albums, surely you gonna love this shit. It's just a plain record to honor Lou, which significantly back-fired on him getting labelled as a worst record ever. I do respect him for what he did for Velvet though.

what the bleep do Load and Reload have to do with Lou?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2013 - 22:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Alex F on 01.07.2013 at 23:00

Written by Deathevokation on 29.06.2013 at 06:44

What do you mean not Extreme did you ever actually listen to other thrash bands ? Lol I mean if Kreator's pleasure to kill... or Dark Angel's Darkness Descends... or Razor's Violent Restitution... or Skeletonwitch's Breathing The Fire are not extreme then what is... oh wait what about bands like Sodom, Exodus, Vektor, Demolition Hammer, Messiah, Sepultura... If thrash ain't extreme metal then I'm probably a reindeer and gave birth to a walrus. Boy check up your Thrash metal before saying nonsense.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.10.2013 - 05:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guib on 09.10.2013 at 22:51

What do you mean not Extreme did you ever actually listen to other thrash bands ? Lol I mean if Kreator's pleasure to kill... or Dark Angel's Darkness Descends... or Razor's Violent Restitution... or Skeletonwitch's Breathing The Fire are not extreme then what is... oh wait what about bands like Sodom, Exodus, Vektor, Demolition Hammer, Messiah, Sepultura... If thrash ain't extreme metal then I'm probably a reindeer and gave birth to a walrus. Boy check up your Thrash metal before saying nonsense.

Yeah looking back at that it's really not my brightest moment. Bands like Dark Angel and Kreator are entirely and completely extreme. I was bein a dumb dummy.
19.11.2013 - 07:27
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Metallica was a beast especially in the the early thrash metal albums. But I kinda lost my interest in their music after a while .I Still listen to their 90's era, though. I just get nostalgic, and that's all.
04.01.2014 - 12:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hate the human race. Here Metallica comes to Europe and let us, the fans, decide what they should play. At every show. I bought my ticket instantly and I also voted as soon as I got my code for it. I gave it a lot of thought. With the exception of "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning" and "Damage, Inc." I only voted for stuff I myself haven't seen them perform.

But what does the majority of the "fans" vote for? It seems like they went on setlist.fm and looked up what Metallica usually plays live during the last couple of years. I follow the results for the Stockholm show daily and it's certainly not a bad setlist, take away the classic boring Black Album songs and it's a lot of great stuff. But it's a totally ordinary Metallica setlist, which takes away the whole purpose of these shows. There's no need for the people to vote, Metallica already seem to know what the majority wants.

You know what really makes me sad? As I said I follow the results daily. If there's to be a change in the setlist, the three songs closest to getting a spot on it is "Wherever I May Roam", "Whiskey in the Jar" and "The Memory Remains". Fuck me...
----
06.01.2014 - 01:55
Mattybu

Written by Warman on 04.01.2014 at 12:03

I hate the human race. Here Metallica comes to Europe and let us, the fans, decide what they should play. At every show. I bought my ticket instantly and I also voted as soon as I got my code for it. I gave it a lot of thought. With the exception of "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning" and "Damage, Inc." I only voted for stuff I myself haven't seen them perform.

But what does the majority of the "fans" vote for? It seems like they went on setlist.fm and looked up what Metallica usually plays live during the last couple of years. I follow the results for the Stockholm show daily and it's certainly not a bad setlist, take away the classic boring Black Album songs and it's a lot of great stuff. But it's a totally ordinary Metallica setlist, which takes away the whole purpose of these shows. There's no need for the people to vote, Metallica already seem to know what the majority wants.

You know what really makes me sad? As I said I follow the results daily. If there's to be a change in the setlist, the three songs closest to getting a spot on it is "Wherever I May Roam", "Whiskey in the Jar" and "The Memory Remains". Fuck me...

Yeah that's a bunch of bullshit man. People don't think it through that they are being given a chance to hear something different. I'm guessing Enter Sandman is in 1st place by a landslide
06.01.2014 - 02:20
Vombatus
Potorro
Bet most "fans" that voted for such thing are clueless about Metallica's discography except for black album, mop and a few songs they always play.
there was something similar with Dimmu Borgir, asking the fans they would play any of their 3 first album entirely. Surprise surprise, EDT (which they already play about half of the album at every damn show) won by a large margin.
I think it's a bad idea to ask the "fans" for their opinion on something. Most always want the same thing, over and over, ad nauseam, specially concerning setlists.
06.01.2014 - 10:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Mattybu on 06.01.2014 at 01:55

Yeah that's a bunch of bullshit man. People don't think it through that they are being given a chance to hear something different. I'm guessing Enter Sandman is in 1st place by a landslide

Actually, Sandman is currently at place 7. "Master of Puppets" leads the race by far, 68 % has voted for it. In comparison to second place, "One", which 56 % voted for.

Written by deadone on 06.01.2014 at 03:00

And look at how tedious most Iron Maiden sets are - nearly always the same songs.

Yeah, I can't stand Maiden shows anymore. I've seen them like 6 times and it's mostly the same shit all over again, even though they do tours like "Early Days", "Somewhere Back", "Maiden England"... it's basically the same songs anyway. They even manage to somehow squeese in "Fear of the Dark" in those setlists.
----
06.01.2014 - 18:36
Mattybu

Written by Warman on 06.01.2014 at 10:50

Actually, Sandman is currently at place 7. "Master of Puppets" leads the race by far, 68 % has voted for it. In comparison to second place, "One", which 56 % voted for.

Well still, that shouldn't be anywhere on a setlist where people finally get a chance to hear something different The other two aren't really overly surprising either, IMO they aren't the best songs from their respective albums and Metallica plays them a ton but they will probably be alright.
06.01.2014 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 04.01.2014 at 12:03

same shit was for Bolt Trower, they ask vote , because Wacken invite them to play
leither they ansver, we will not play because vote results was 100% and voters were 10 times more then sold out tickets ....
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.01.2014 - 14:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 06.01.2014 at 19:05

voters were 10 times more then sold out tickets ....

Yeah, but that will not be the case here. You get an entry code to your mail when you've paid for a ticket.
----
17.03.2014 - 16:33
Jtbmetal123

Has anybody haerd theeir new Single? Its Called "Lords of Summer". They just played it live over the weekend. Its pretty thrashy and long. Its good.
17.03.2014 - 19:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yeah, it seems it is decent. I'll be hearing it live in two weeks, so I'll have a better idea then The song title sounds like a joke, though.

18.03.2014 - 14:29
Silent Jay

To be honest I wasn't going to give it the time of day until I hear it in the flesh at Knebworth this summer but after seeing a few surprised opinions online I gave in. I gave the song a listen and admittedly is isn't near as bad as I was kinda expecting it to be. A bit unnecessarily long but thats something I have always found with Metallica. It hasn't impressed me a lot either so not going to get too excited before hearing it in studio form.
20.03.2014 - 09:35
toxx
Supreme being
Lords of summer.. I don't like the title, and the song itself doesn't do anything for me. It was okay, but nothing more than that. Plain and boring. And a little long, considering the fact that nothing really happens. It's like Metallica is trying to be something that they no longer are capable of being.I should mention that I'm one of those boring dudes that thinks Metallica sold out when they made the black album.
20.03.2014 - 17:50
terrorist

Ok people the title is just a working title. I think they are doing the same thing as they did with DM. They are "measuring the puls" of the fans. Even Lars said that this song may not end up on the album at all. Anyway, the song is long, but not prgressive enough for me. Still there are good rifs in it and i am loking forward to hear some more stuff definitely.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
31.03.2014 - 01:19
Helloface

Not that great of a song, but very good considering it's only a demo. Look at the mediocre songs they played before DM's release, and that album turned out to be arguably brilliant.
----
I'm a thrasher until I die, and nothing will ever change that.
31.03.2014 - 11:16
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Helloface on 31.03.2014 at 01:19

Not that great of a song, but very good considering it's only a demo. Look at the mediocre songs they played before DM's release, and that album turned out to be arguably brilliant.

Even though Death Magnetic is clearly better than the turd that's called St. Anger, it's still mediocre at best. While it has decent songs like That Was Just Your Life, Cyanide and The Unforgiven III (crap title though), some of it is just as bad as St. Anger like the second half of The Day that Never Comes.
01.04.2014 - 21:47
Kirg

First part of the song sounds like reinvention of Kill em All. Simple and energic. Second half of Kirk's solo is actually pretty juicy and speeding up the last part is quite refreshing . Though I still wish they went crazy and tried some more technical and impulsive stuff like they did almost 30 years ago.
26.05.2014 - 18:56
Ruchesko

So some pipsqeauk British indie-rocker (Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys) has come out saying he's not sure Metallica are suitable to headline at Glastonbury. http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/77414
26.05.2014 - 22:20
Dr.Overkill26

Dude Metallica may well be my Favorite band of all time... those first 4 albums are so catchy, Dynamic, just perfect. The Black album is a masterpiece, I like a few songs off of load and reload, Garage inc is cool cause it Introduced me to a lot of Great bands, Death Magnetic is Excellent minus the Shite overly loud Production, And the Beyond Magnetic ep is just awesome, even Better than DM far as I'm Concerned.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
27.05.2014 - 00:49
Lit.
Account deleted
^Fanboy alert.
27.05.2014 - 04:20
Ruchesko

Written by deadone on 27.05.2014 at 03:14

I can understand his rationale.

I think a festival has to have a vibe and theme. After all I don't want to go to a Metal festival and have Arctic Monkeys headline.

Fair point.

I reckon I'd be less indignant about Turner's remarks if the festival itself hadn't made a habit of occasionally booking headliners from outside its alternative/indie remit in recent years: they've had Beyoncé and Jay-Z headline in the last decade. I guess Iron Maiden or Judas Priest might have been a more obvious/less divisive choice for Glasto's first metal headliners, but its not like they booked Meshuggah or Manowar (amusing a thought as that is).