05. Can't Have It All
06. Voices
07. Goin' Down
08. Long Time Ago
09. Palace Of Fate
10. Forever Rockin'
11. Broken
12. Vanished Memories

"We Are?" is the first album of a newcomer from Switzerland, Charing Cross. I know that it's not always a good thing to do comparisons but here it will simply be impossible to "forget" the name of Edguy in this review. Definitely, Charing Cross plays the same kind of music than the last Edguy and if you like the German combo, you'll probably like "We Are?".

As you can guess, Charing Cross plays some kind of melodic Heavy Metal with some big Hard Rock influences. You'll not be able to find anything new or original on this album but definitely, Charing Cross plays good music and if you like catchy Metal I doubt that you'll be disappointed by this first album. Like Edguy, the riffs are super catchy and popular, the guitars soli are technical we have sing-along choruses and a singer with a voice which fits perfectly to this kind of music. "We Are?" is not really original that's right but the album features good songs like the really catchy and Heavy "Voices" and "Burn The Sun" or the real Hard Rock track "Final Day". This good mixing of Heavy and Hard Rock is really cool and even if for sure Charing Cross didn't propose anything new, they're, at least, able to play good catchy music. It will just depend of you but if you're not looking for surprises I think that this release will be ok.

So all right, we have catchy choruses and melodies, good riffs and a good singer but what can I add now? First to finish my comparison with Edguy, I must say that Peter Hochuli's voice without being the same than the one of Tobias Sammet is in the same category, so be aware that you'll have to like these kind of voices to enjoy the album. The production is ok but the cover is really poor and not really attractive, but of course this is just some little and not so important reproaches which shouldn't be so problematic for you.

You know what you'll have to do now. "We Are?" is not the album of the decade but this is a nice and cool first release. If you're not looking for original things and want to listen to cool melodic Heavy Metal spiced with Hard Rock melodies I think that "We Are?" should be ok for you. We'll see if Charing Cross can propose something a bit more personal in the future but if they're able to do it we will probably listen to fine albums of Heavy Metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 15.09.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 5 users
25.09.2008 - 13:53
YoreLore

Charing Cross is in Glasgow
----