Metal Storm logo
Stolen songs (NOT covers)

28.06.2006 - 14:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hey.post here the songs(metal or not)which have stolen riffs,keyboards,vocals,etc. from another band without mentioning them in their booklet...
i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)
madonna-hung up=abba-gimme gimme gimme(same stupid rhythm)
children of bodom-hatebreeder=nightwish-nemo("nemo sailing home...")
of course i don't know if any one of these have the original song listed in the booklet,so i'm not quite sure...
but anyway a lot of people say that nu metal bands like linkin park and others copy all sorts of riffs and stuff from pantera and sepultura,so fire away and please no posts such as "OMFG THOSE X BAND IDIOTS COPIED THOSE UNBELIEVABLY COOL AND TALENTED GUYS FROM Y BAND'S RIFFS,VOCALS,ETC. IN Z ALBUM WHICH WENT MULTI-PLATINUM!!!WTF HOW CAN SOMEONE IN THEIR FULL CONTROL OF THE BRAIN DO THIS??!?!!?THOSE CHEAP POSER BASTARDS IMITATORS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"
28.06.2006 - 14:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Madonna has ABBA listed and used a sample, so that isn't a stolen song. But the other two I don't know about
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2006 - 14:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well,not really stolen songs is the good title for this topic,but something like"stolen riffs"...and for romanian metalstormers,voltaj-tine mainile sus(i think that's the name)=korn-word up
spitalul de urgenta-caut un bou=breaking the law+painkiller(at the end"he is the..")
+all of the house remixes from rock and metal songs(smoke on the water,i love rock n roll,etc) i consider stolen songs,not riffs or stuff
+billie jean,say say say-michael jackson=remixed and butchered by some fat stupid dj's (esepcially the say say say remix is extremely annoying,only 2 lyrics:all alone,just standing on the phone,waiting for you,baby")
28.06.2006 - 16:03
RavenLord
<insert song here> by Trivium has a riff stolen from In Flames. The most prominent one is 'Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr', which just steals the entirety of 'Suburban Me'. But Trivium are effectively the most famous In Flames tribute around. Fucking metalcore.
----
28.06.2006 - 20:27
Baz Anderson
staff
as much as i love Masterplan - listen to their song 'After This War' on 'Aeronautics' and then listen to the Iron Savior track 'After The War'
they are nearly the same, they do have some differences though

i dont know if it is a 'stealing' or anything - they might have talked to the Iron Savior lot or something, but i cant see anywhere in the 'Aeronautics' book it mentioning Iron Saviour..
28.06.2006 - 20:45
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
"Stolen" has very bad connotations, while many bands that do "borrow" riffs or sample the original sources do it as a tribute to the original band or for very clear artistic reasons (Pop Will Eat Itself, KMFDM etc)...
It happens a lot in industrial metal, for example Ministry is infamous for it:
"Filth Pig" (the song) - riff from the Melvins' "Night Goat"
"Lava" - riff from Alice In Chains' "Grind"
"Supermanic Soul" - riff from Therapy's "Knives"

Also, there is another really famous case of a band "borrowing" a riff:
Korn "Ball Toungue" - riff is based on a bridge from Morbid Angel's "Angel Of Disease"
28.06.2006 - 21:35
danzig111
Account deleted
Kid Rock stole the main riff for Metallica's "Sad But True" in one ov his songs.
28.06.2006 - 21:55
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I don't know but Savage circus has stolen songs from blind guardian, jejeje...well that is an example very funny but once i listen a song from saratoga that has the same rithym of Nova Era of Angra.
29.06.2006 - 00:04
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Valentin B on 28.06.2006 at 14:02

hey.post here the songs(metal or not)which have stolen riffs,keyboards,vocals,etc. from another band without mentioning them in their booklet...
i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)
of course i don't know if any one of these have the original song listed in the booklet,so i'm not quite sure...
but anyway a lot of people say that nu metal bands like linkin park and others copy all sorts of riffs and stuff from pantera and sepultura,so fire away and please no posts such as "OMFG THOSE X BAND IDIOTS COPIED THOSE UNBELIEVABLY COOL AND TALENTED GUYS FROM Y BAND'S RIFFS,VOCALS,ETC. IN Z ALBUM WHICH WENT MULTI-PLATINUM!!!WTF HOW CAN SOMEONE IN THEIR FULL CONTROL OF THE BRAIN DO THIS??!?!!?THOSE CHEAP POSER BASTARDS IMITATORS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"

LB Behind Blue eyes is a cover (from the Who or the Doors dont remember =p), and one more thing, I know it doesnt have nothing to do with Metal but still a good song.... that bitch Rihanna (I think the song is called S.O.S) COPIED the song Tented Love by Soft Cell, its the exact same beat, I think we should kill her =)
----
29.06.2006 - 00:22
Trifixion
Account deleted
Atreyu stole the opening riff from In Flames' "The Hive" to their song Right Side Of The Bed
29.06.2006 - 00:41
Daru Jericho
DragonForce's 'Prepare For War' and 'Fury Of The Storm' both on the Sonic Firestorm album have VERY similar beginnings.

Children Of Bodom's 'Bodom Beach Terror' has the same drumming intro as Carcass' 'Corpral Jigsore Quandary'.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

29.06.2006 - 00:55
Ivor
staff
One of the most fascinating things is that beginning theme of Deep Purple's big hit "Child in Time" was originally taken from the It's A Beautiful Day song "Bombay Calling." It came to me as a surprise when I was told that. That was some time ago though.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
29.06.2006 - 02:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Silky- lol nice

I'm pretty sure that Metallica stole the riffs in the Mercyful Fate song, Curse of the Pharoahs, and I noticed a lot of Black Sabbath riffs in some Wolfmother songs. There are many more that I've noticed but I can't think of any right now.
29.06.2006 - 06:30
Jerk
Children of Bodom - Six Pounder and Pantera - A New Level
Lamb of God - Laid To Rest and Testament - Into the Pit
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
29.06.2006 - 06:37
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Jerk on 29.06.2006 at 06:30

Lamb of God - Laid To Rest and Testament - Into the Pit

Wow I just put on Into The Pit now because I never recognized this one, and wow you're right
29.06.2006 - 06:43
Stigmatized
Taken from Metal Archives regarding a song from Dimmu Borgir's album Stormblast-

"Sorgens Kammer is a cover of a song taken from an Amiga game called Agony. Stìan Aarstad stole the melody, but didn't tell anyone about it. The band always thought it was their own song until the original composer contacted them, so they decided to not use it on Stormblåst 2005."

Not sure when he contacted the band, but on the 2005 edition of Stormblast, they had a song called "Sorgens Kammer - Del II", which they even made a video for. Anyone else have information about this ordeal?
29.06.2006 - 07:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metallica stole the chorus riff and a lot of the intro riffing in Enter Sandman from Excel's song Tapping Into The Emotional Void...it wasn't really taken too seriously...there were some headlines and shit...they're found in the The Joke's On You album...Metallica basically took the acoustic riffs that were used in Tapping Into The Emotional Void and the melody riff and made them thrashier and a bit slower in places...

I know it's obvious but millions of rappers stole that drum solo from James Brown's song Funky Drummer and that drummer recently had surgery and couldn't afford it because he wasn't recieving any residual from all these fuckin' no good rappers shisting his beats...
29.06.2006 - 08:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by 4look4rd on 29.06.2006 at 00:04

that bitch Rihanna (I think the song is called S.O.S) COPIED the song Tented Love by Soft Cell, its the exact same beat, I think we should kill her =)

Soft Cell's Tainted Love is a COVER, the original Tainted Love was recorded by an African American artist called Gloria Jones.

"Tainted Love" is a song composed by Ed Cobb. It was originally recorded in 1964 by Gloria Jones, and later made popular when covered in 1981 by Soft Cell. It has since been covered by numerous other groups." as taken from Wikipedia
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2006 - 13:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
manson also has a cover of tainted love,but this is offtopic..
29.06.2006 - 18:18
HardSide
Red Hot Chilli Peppers Stole a song from Tom Petty ... the song title is Dani California's off their new album...totally stole it from Tom.

Metallica...four horseman stole from a band called ninja (1981 band i beleive, cant find it anywhere anymore, unless you use to trade tapes back in the day)

Metallica stole 3 more songs, i forget which and from what band, ill look it up if anybody is really interested, just to lazy atm.
29.06.2006 - 23:54
Jerk
Written by HardSide on 29.06.2006 at 18:18

Red Hot Chilli Peppers Stole a song from Tom Petty ... the song title is Dani California's off their new album...totally stole it from Tom.

Yeah I heard both songs. There's a certain sound in the background that sounds exactly like Tom's song. It's such a rip off.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
30.06.2006 - 00:05
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.06.2006 at 00:22

Atreyu stole the opening riff from In Flames' "The Hive" to their song Right Side Of The Bed

I can totally believe that, because I read somewhere that Dan Jacbobs [Atreyu's lead guitarist] was on an "In Flames high" when writing stuff for The Curse CD. Crazah.
30.06.2006 - 00:07
KryptoN
imperceptible
I've posted this a few times elsewhere (on similar threads) but listen to these songs:
In Flames - Bullet Ride
Norther - Dead

The intro is almost 100% the same, hehe. And no I'm not saying one of them stole from the other, that would just be useless speculating. I was troubled for so long with that Norther's song (heard Bullet Ride before even knowing Norther). I was like where the hell is this from... I think it took over a year until I realized.
30.06.2006 - 01:06
nick35
Account deleted
lil john stole slayer in dont fuck with me and he stole crazy train on lets go
30.06.2006 - 02:02
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
You people seriously have no idea whatsoever about sampling, do you?
Get it into your heads that sampling is not stealing.
30.06.2006 - 02:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't think that all of these bands have copied other riffs on purpose. Some riffs are just so catchy that one could sub-consciencely "create" them.
30.06.2006 - 02:44
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by 4look4rd on 29.06.2006 at 00:04

Written by Valentin B on 28.06.2006 at 14:02

LB Behind Blue eyes is a cover (from the Who or the Doors dont remember =p), and one more thing, I know it doesnt have nothing to do with Metal but still a good song.... that bitch Rihanna (I think the song is called S.O.S) COPIED the song Tented Love by Soft Cell, its the exact same beat, I think we should kill her =)

Behind Blue Eyes was written by Pete Townshend from 'The Who', the song was released under his solo material i believe, not actually 'The Who', agin this is more of a cover...
30.06.2006 - 02:52
Daru Jericho
Just remembered another one:

In Black Label Society's 'Spread Your Wings' the vocal bit that Zakk Wylde does at the start sounds like the riffing at the beginning of Motley Crue's 'If I Die Tomorrow'. I don't know who 'copied' who since both songs were released in 2005 I believe but it's interesting nonetheless.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.06.2006 - 02:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun: Well, I really think that's getting onto another topic...we could create a thread about bands that take artists melodies, riffs, etc... out of respect and honor and all that vs. bands that simply rip the artist off because they wanna make a few bucks or something vs. artists who base entire song ideas off of previous artists's riffs, melodies, etc...whatever...

@Daru Jericho: If I Die Tommorow was recorded rather quickly and under a lot of stress and pressure in order to ressurect the band from excinction and you probably know that there was a whole reality television show and all that based on the music video to the song and everything...I think that Motley Crue recorded the song without Mick Mars because when they recorded the song, Mick might still have been undergoing hip replacement surgery in order to do the comeback with the band...that whole spiel would be for the argument that Motley Crue probably copied Zakk Wylde because Zakk's was at least done in a stable recording situation where he had stable band members and all that putting their full concentration on the creativity of the music verses the messy 'I don't really know if I'm in or not' attitude of Crue at the time...

EDIT: I looked it up and and it said that A Simple Plan was the composer on allmusic.com...I don't really know if I beleive that or not...who knows these days...it also says Nikki Sixx too...so, maybe Zakk Wylde, Nikki Sixx and A Simple Plan?
30.06.2006 - 03:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 30.06.2006 at 02:58

@pyroleprechaun: Well, I really think that's getting onto another topic...we could create a thread about bands that take artists melodies, riffs, etc... out of respect and honor and all that vs. bands that simply rip the artist off because they wanna make a few bucks or something vs. artists who base entire song ideas off of previous artists's riffs, melodies, etc...whatever...

lol what are you talking about? I didn't mention anything about bands using other band's riffs out of respect. I was just saying that it could be possible that since there is so much shit out there that a band could have copied some part of another song accidentally.