Metal Storm logo
Stolen songs (NOT covers)

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 28.06.2006 - 14:02
hey.post here the songs(metal or not)which have stolen riffs,keyboards,vocals,etc. from another band without mentioning them in their booklet...
i'll start:Limp Bizkit-behind blue eyes=same as intro of angels fall first(nightwish)
madonna-hung up=abba-gimme gimme gimme(same stupid rhythm)
children of bodom-hatebreeder=nightwish-nemo("nemo sailing home...")
of course i don't know if any one of these have the original song listed in the booklet,so i'm not quite sure...
but anyway a lot of people say that nu metal bands like linkin park and others copy all sorts of riffs and stuff from pantera and sepultura,so fire away and please no posts such as "OMFG THOSE X BAND IDIOTS COPIED THOSE UNBELIEVABLY COOL AND TALENTED GUYS FROM Y BAND'S RIFFS,VOCALS,ETC. IN Z ALBUM WHICH WENT MULTI-PLATINUM!!!WTF HOW CAN SOMEONE IN THEIR FULL CONTROL OF THE BRAIN DO THIS??!?!!?THOSE CHEAP POSER BASTARDS IMITATORS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"
20.05.2010 - 15:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Is it only me who is founding similarities in these two?

also when talking about Bathory - Hammerheart IS Jupiter Hymn by Gustav Holst (more beautiful how original i have to say )...but dunno, maybe Quorthon announced it (but at least it is not entitled "Hammerheart (Gustav Holst Cover)")
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.05.2010 - 16:35
Judas
The Amputator
You want something that's TOTALLY stolen, listen to Nightwish's "Ever Dream" and then listen to the French rapper Tunisiano's song "Je Porte Plainte".
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
22.05.2010 - 11:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This is another example

about this Tunisiano - i tried some other his songs and i got feeling he is always stealing from someone, mostly from Eminem

if i am not hearing "When I'm Gone", then i am deaf
----

04.06.2010 - 20:09
InnerSelf
proofread free
Well there is this band Nocturnal Depression which plays depressive black and they figured out that anyone who will be listening to them is grim enough to not know My Dying Bride so they ripped of My Wine In Silence added a couple of riffs and there you go a new song under the name of Suicidal Metal Anthem and it is as cheesy as it sounds
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.06.2010 - 20:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Venom's "Maleficarvm" off of Metal Black always reminds me of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.06.2010 - 21:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Cracked mag's Musicians who are thieving bastards.

includes metal musicians and a creator of musicals...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2010 - 11:36
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by BitterCOld on 04.06.2010 at 21:20

That was fun to read
Smoke on the Water's opening riff was the biggest shock
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.06.2010 - 12:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
Cracked.com is a humor site. Plus, countless songs have been done. You can call practically every song there is a rip-off of something else. Although, somehow, Stairway to Heaven doesn't surprise me.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.07.2010 - 12:27
Inlé
Not "stolen", but quite amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-glTllMPpBo

I'm a huge Falkenbach fan, but i lol'd... He must have intentionally lifted the games' melody, surely?

Arachnes - Just Try and Hit Me, and Glory Opera's Ants of Fire spring to mind, though- both songs are similar.
16.08.2010 - 06:25
Hossam.Shuk
Written by Daru Jericho on 16.07.2006 at 01:00

Opeth's 'Credence' (1998) has a similar drum intro to Porcupine Tree's 'Stop Swimming' (1999).

michel of opeth says that he's extremely influenced by Porcupine Tree and they're one of his favorite bands

plus the keyboardist of porcupine tree produced and played keyboards in the Damnation album so i doubt they would steal from porcupine tree
----
Carve me up, slice me apart
Suck my guts and lick my heart
07.11.2010 - 00:26
vangosh
Iron Maiden ripped off by papa roach!!!??

Iron Maiden= Gods
Papa Roach= Pure shit!

Copying Iron Maiden it's a crime, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-iHrVlKaA
08.11.2010 - 12:41
SlaytanicGonzo
Kreator - Golden Age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwPzWGf4z8

Horcas - Esperanza, a band fromj Argentina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yi-WdMZ3J4

It's basically the same song
11.11.2010 - 08:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by vangosh on 07.11.2010 at 00:26

Iron Maiden= Gods
Papa Roach= Pure shit!

That wasn't ripping off. *sigh* Papa Roach even said in inetrviews back in the time that they did that becuase they love Iron Maiden and wanted to pay tribute to them that way.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2010 - 09:47
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin

Iron Maiden= Gods
Papa Roach= Pure shit!

Iron Maiden what now? Papa Roach at least had one cool album before they lost it. Which is more than you can say about Maiden. Copying Iron Maiden is not so much of a crime as it is pathetic. Plus, copying that way is more a tribute than anything else so apart from your black and white view of both bands, at least Papa Roach seem to agree with you in you view of Maiden.

On topic: It's probably been mentioned here before but I found it a really peculiar case. German rapper Bushido stole samples of the whole discography of a french gothic band for one of his albums. He got sued here big time and if the sentence becomes effective, the album of his in question has to be removed from stores and all copies of it have to be destroyed.
He also stole parts of Dimmu Borgir's Mourning Palace and was sued for big money back then as well.
----
11.11.2010 - 09:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by corrupt on 11.11.2010 at 09:47

Iron Maiden= Gods
Papa Roach= Pure shit!

Iron Maiden what now? Papa Roach at least had one cool album before they lost it. Which is more than you can say about Maiden. Copying Iron Maiden is not so much of a crime as it is pathetic. Plus, copying that way is more a tribute than anything else so apart from your black and white view of both bands, at least Papa Roach seem to agree with you in you view of Maiden.

That Iron Maiden Papa Roach example just shows you the immense downsides of internet. Someone posts the clip on yuotube stating it a rip off without doing any background research into why that riff pops up in Last Resort.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2012 - 04:47
Crucifux
Account deleted
Lord Belial's "Unholy War" uses the exact same chord progression as Metallica's "Orion" for a majority of the song.
No youtube links to demonstrate, unfortunately, but the sample in iTunes is a good source if you have access.
15.09.2012 - 18:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Running Wild - Final Gates vs. Nightwish - Nymphomaniac Fantasia - the main riff sounds suspiciously similar
Andrew Lloyd Webber - Phantom Of The Opera vs. Thyrfing - Valdr Galga - the intro is the very same

Kroda used for the main theme in "Cry To Me, River..." a Christmas carol "Carol of the Bells" originally by Mykola Leontovič (found that when i suddenly heard it in The Simpsons (s22e08) )
----

29.09.2012 - 10:21
nikol
Thanks for sharing your thoughts..this is a nice & unique forum....I like it....
07.02.2013 - 16:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Just learned that Eluveitie's "A Rose For Epona" is just a plain copy of Blood Stain Child's "Metropolice"...this "band" is even more pathetic than i thought...
----

14.02.2013 - 08:55
Sinnercist
There are a few signed bands that have an unfortunate record of stealing music from much lesser known local bands then rewriting the lyrics, repackaging and selling as their own. Example Avatar's song "black waltz" (put out late 2011) compared to Fin'amors "Bleed the Oceans" a song which has been circulating the NYC metal scene since about 2010, is suspiciously similar. Actually ... aside from the tempo and lyrics the songs are almost identical, except that one came out at least a year earlier.
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
15.02.2013 - 12:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ellrohir on 20.05.2010 at 15:43

also when talking about Bathory - Hammerheart IS Jupiter Hymn by Gustav Holst (more beautiful how original i have to say )...but dunno, maybe Quorthon announced it (but at least it is not entitled "Hammerheart (Gustav Holst Cover)")

Yeah, the album notes for Twilight Of The Gods list "all music by quorthon exept Hammerheart, exert rfom Gustav Holst, the planets OP.32 of 1914, rearranged by Quorthon for Bathory..."
I know it's an old comment, but I only just saw this thread today.

Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2013 at 16:45

Just learned that Eluveitie's "A Rose For Epona" is just a plain copy of Blood Stain Child's "Metropolice"...this "band" is even more pathetic than i thought...

Listening to the second one now, the flute is using the same sheet music, but the chorus's are different, although there's some similarity between the verses. But yeah, that's the same flute intro.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.02.2013 - 12:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How about Motorhead's You Better Run and they're cover of I'm Your hoochie Coochie Man. The tune/melody/music is almost exactly the same, yet no mention of Willie Dixon on March Or Die.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.02.2013 - 18:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by M C Vice on 15.02.2013 at 12:20

Listening to the second one now, the flute is using the same sheet music, but the chorus's are different, although there's some similarity between the verses. But yeah, that's the same flute intro.

ofc whole song wont be the same...but the very same intro alone is enough for me
----

17.02.2013 - 08:22
king_matt
Written by InnerSelf on 04.06.2010 at 20:09

Well there is this band Nocturnal Depression which plays depressive black and they figured out that anyone who will be listening to them is grim enough to not know My Dying Bride so they ripped of My Wine In Silence added a couple of riffs and there you go a new song under the name of Suicidal Metal Anthem and it is as cheesy as it sounds

Holy shit you're right
EDIT: Wait, is this supposed to be a cover?
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
18.02.2013 - 03:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok well I'd like to mention a song that I like ALOT from Havok... Its ''Prepare For Attack'', at 1:08 of the song, you can clearly hear a riff used by Metallica in ''Motorbreath'' on Kill 'Em All. Yeah yeah, Stolen but still a good fucking awesome no matter what.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
18.02.2013 - 18:58
Dinruth
Written by BitterCOld on 04.06.2010 at 21:20

thanks dude that was an interesting read ... can't believe what dickheads some people are
19.02.2013 - 13:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well the winning dickhead in metal would still be Brynjard

although i have to admit the version of "Set Sail Towards Doom" on his album sounds better then the original (by Avathar i think) i was able to found
----

19.02.2013 - 14:54
theFIST
None of the songs are stolen, the original still exists, there just is an imperfect copy of them by someone else now
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
19.02.2013 - 17:01
Vombatus
Potorro
Unless a fan points out a song X sounds very similar to another song Y, I think alot of the "ripped off" songs wouldn't even be noticed by the bands. Also, most of the time you don't make music out of nothing, so playing 4 notes in the same way as another one is quite plausible, specially if it's from the same genre/inspiration.
19.02.2013 - 17:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes, but many examples here are much more than "4 notes in the same way"...may be coincidence, but sometimes its really hard to believe
----