Metal Storm logo
Easy Slap Bass Lines

27.09.2008 - 11:47
thesabbathfan

well, I've been wanting to learn to play slap for a while now, and I recently got down 3 finger plucking, so I figured it's time to try something new. I think I got the motion down for it, so now all I need is some shit to play.

so does anybody know any good, easy, slap lines?
----
27.09.2008 - 16:14
Sunioj

The only thing comes to my mind is Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of... google to song for bass tabs, its everywhere.

Other than that, I could suggest delving into Atheist since Tony Choy incorporates a lot of slapping into the mix.

I will I could suggest more, but I'm mainly into fingerplucking/melodic bass lines/clean tremelo etc.
27.09.2008 - 19:25
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Sunioj on 27.09.2008 at 16:14

The only thing comes to my mind is Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of... google to song for bass tabs, its everywhere.

Other than that, I could suggest delving into Atheist since Tony Choy incorporates a lot of slapping into the mix.

I will I could suggest more, but I'm mainly into fingerplucking/melodic bass lines/clean tremelo etc.

Killing in the Name of... is a KILLER song. but in all honesty, there is no such thing as an easy slap bassline, unless of course youre fucking around and not actually playing anything.

and anything Tony Choy is ridiculous, by no means is his shit easy.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
27.09.2008 - 19:41
NECURATU

Well nobody says you have to play it at 300 bpm straight away. It's reasonable, I guess, if you take it slow.

Now, maybe I'm idiotic, but are you sure you've got eight notes and muting down allright ? Slaping isn't that much of a useful technique really.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
27.09.2008 - 19:52
Sunioj

Written by LeChron James on 27.09.2008 at 19:25

Killing in the Name of... is a KILLER song. but in all honesty, there is no such thing as an easy slap bassline, unless of course youre fucking around and not actually playing anything.

and anything Tony Choy is ridiculous, by no means is his shit easy.

Idk, it's true that there is no real easy bass lines since it does take some more mental coordination to place notes. But in relative to what I've heard of slap in music (which is not much) Killing in the Name of seems rather easy if you were to compare it to Choy or Wooten lol.

Written by NECURATU on 27.09.2008 at 19:41

Now, maybe I'm idiotic, but are you sure you've got eight notes and muting down allright ? Slaping isn't that much of a useful technique really.

I don't like slapping too much myself tbh, I mean wooten and stuff sounds fun but it's not my thing really. Sometimes it's cool for bursts of slapping in Death Metal during blastbeats or smth hah. My bass gives an ugly clacking sound when I slap, I guess I have the wrong type of bass for slapping.. but whateva.

Nice Avatar m/
27.09.2008 - 21:42
NECURATU

Lol thanks, the bass player on that album and the follow-up was quite bad-ass .
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
27.09.2008 - 22:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The Doors- Break On Through, in the studio song the bass isn't slapped, but that main riff sure would sound awesome and badass.
06.11.2008 - 23:33
HELL-ME
Account deleted
Well when i first started to learn the slap-n-pop techniques i started with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers staff.. I mean its wierd but its really productive.. You may start with "Don't Stop", Its really fun !
20.08.2010 - 13:44
Hossam.Shuk

Written by Valentin B on 27.09.2008 at 22:46

The Doors- Break On Through, in the studio song the bass isn't slapped, but that main riff sure would sound awesome and badass.

Dude the doors didn't have a bassist. Their keyboardist used to play the bass lines.
----
Carve me up, slice me apart
Suck my guts and lick my heart
21.09.2010 - 11:25
gravity5x

I think you mean Take The Power Back not Killing In The Name Of. The song is a very good song for someone beginning to want to learn slap.
22.09.2010 - 21:24
Sunioj

Written by gravity5x on 21.09.2010 at 11:25

I think you mean Take The Power Back not Killing In The Name Of. The song is a very good song for someone beginning to want to learn slap.

Both of them are in my opinion!
24.10.2010 - 06:13
the stranger

What you should try first are some exercises for the slap thecnique and then try to play some songs. Easy, fast-learning exercises can be found on any tabs site.