Metal Storm logo
Terrorizer

28.06.2006 - 15:12
kackbratze
I am really astonished that there isn't a thread about Terrorizer yet. There even wasn't one in the old forum IIRC. So I will do the duty and open one...

For those who don't know Terrorizer are a legendary grindcore band. They didn't invent grindcore, but take it to a new level of brutality. They only made one album "World Downfall", but it's great. After that they quickly disbanded because they had no money (I think). All of Terrorizer's members became part of great acts like Napalm Death and Morbid Angel, except the vocalist who disappeared from the scene.

I think this is a good time to start a discussion because they have recorded a new album in 2006, "Darker Days Ahead". It will be released on August 21st and I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait for the new songs as well as for "Dead Shall Rise V.06". It's a classic song and my favourite of Terrorizer, so it will probably be great to hear a remastered version with a better production.
What are your thoughts on them? Does anyone know how the new vocalist (ex-Resistant Culture) does? Is he good? Do you think the new stuff will be good? I don't think it will be as groundbreaking as "World Downfall" at the time it was released, but do you think it can compare to nowadays standards?

Now, if I had to make a list of my favourite extreme metal bands, I think Terrorizer would be somewhere at the top (if you count grindcore to metal that is... ).

http://www.terrorizer.us
28.06.2006 - 18:25
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
The most incredible thing about that first Terrorizer album is actually that Pete Sandoval only used one bass drum on it. For Morbid Angel he learned how to use two but for this, he just used one. I dont think there is anybody else on the scene who can play the kick drum as fast as this motherfucker
28.06.2006 - 18:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
hehehe that's a funny fact, jupitras I didn't know that... actually, sorry for my extreme ignorance but didn't even know that thy drumness Pete Sandoval was the drummer of Terrorizer...

Awesome band indeed, "World Downfall" is my favourite Grindcore album after Napalm Death's "From Enslavement To Obliteration"
29.06.2006 - 01:25
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Terrorizer are the perfect grindcore band. The perfect combination of hardcore, thrash, and uh.... GRIND!!!
17.07.2006 - 01:45
kackbratze
I listened to "Darker Days Ahead" severeal times now and it started to grow on me. I actually wanted to write a review, but as a guest reviewer I am not allowed to write a review about a new album. Furthermore I don't know how to create one for a band that doesn't have a profile here on Metalstorm... Therefore I'll lose some words in this thread:

Terrorizer are back!

"Darker Days Ahead" is a good, solid album, but nothing special. The first thing that you'll notice is the sound of the album. The production is of course more advanced than the one of "World Downfall" in 1989. The Bass adds some depth to the overall sound, although it's hard to hear him most of the time. The guitars still shred, but they overshadow the drums a bit.

The general sound of this album is different than before. It's fast, but not as furious as "World Downfall", where almost every track had blast beats. Sure the new record features blast beats, but I have the feeling that they play slower now. In fact some passages sound almost "doomy" which gives the record a pessimistic feeling that fits to the title "Darker Days Ahead".

Terrorizer fans will notice something about the songs: Just like Exodus with their comeback album "Tempo of the Damned" they remade some old songs. These are "Crematorium", "Fallout", "Mayhem" and "Nightmare" from their early Demos of 1987 and 1988 and a new version of "Dead Shall Rise" from "World Downfall". I never listened to the songs of the demos before so I can't compare the quality to the originals. But I can say that these songs kick ass just like back then where they were written. The 2006 version of "Dead Shall Rise" is quite good, but as you might expect, it doesn't match the original.

The new songs are all cool and I think they could've just been from that time. The intro "Inevitable" is unnecessary because it has not much content except some unclear whispers and such. A special mention deserves the track "Ghost Train", an instrumental song with importunate piano work that gives a hunting atmosphere.

I also want to praise the vocals of "Tony Milita". That guy of Resistant Culture does some really cool vocals. I like his voice in general and he does some kind of mix between growls and screams. It sounds brutal, but is yet quite understandable. It fits.

After all I'm really happy with this record and it proves that Terrorizer kindof stood the test of time. It took some time to grow on me, but Terrorizer remain one of my very favourite bands. In a review I would have probably given this a 8.0 or 8.5 for being a solid, but not outstanding record.

Thanks
17.07.2006 - 03:26
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I'll probably review it sometime in the near future but for now I can say I pretty much agree with what you said about the album... Its well performed and everything but seems to lack the spark of old Terrorizer... I think the drums totally kick ass though and there are more than enough blastbeats on the album. Oh, another thing - this album isnt so much grindcore as death metal this time.
17.07.2006 - 03:46
Richard
Elite
Well, I really like World Downfall. It's packed with vibrant energy and sounds ahead of its time, and it's amazing to think Pete Sandoval only used one bass drum!

I also have a CD just called Terrorizer - Nausea - Majesty, which I don't think is an official release, but it has 'Day Zero Rehearsal' from Terrorizer, dated 25/4/1987, and Terrorizer/Nausea split demo dated 1987/1988. (And Majesty - Bestial Vomit demo, 1988). The sound is obviously not too great but it's quite interesting.

I haven't heard the new Terrorizer album yet, but I'm usually a bit suspicious about old bands that suddenly release a new album after years of silence. So is the line-up on the new album the same as it was before, apart from the different vocalist?
----
17.07.2006 - 09:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
A pretty sick band indeed. I like what I have heard from them. Their debut being a kind of Grindcore/Death/Thrash hybrid thingy. Pretty wicked if you ask me. I'll keep my eyes open for their new album too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.10.2006 - 07:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by jupitreas on 28.06.2006 at 18:25

The most incredible thing about that first Terrorizer album is actually that Pete Sandoval only used one bass drum on it. For Morbid Angel he learned how to use two but for this, he just used one. I dont think there is anybody else on the scene who can play the kick drum as fast as this motherfucker

wait...do you mean he played 2 bass pedals on one bass drum or just 1 bass pedal?
31.10.2006 - 15:32
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
just one bass pedal...
31.10.2006 - 17:24
Fear Of God
Account deleted
No way. Never. Not only that it's obviously double-bass drumming, but, you can't drum d-beat with one pedal, trust me I'm drummer. Listen to Human Prey, Fear Of Napalm etc... you can't drum like that with one pedal, not because it's very fast, but the beats' are in parallel with each other.

I don't know where you got this info from, but even if Pete would tell this in an interview or whatever, I would never belive this, because it's obviously wrong.

I myself love to listen to Terrorizer's debut album here and there, it's really awesome and like some of you already mentioned, ahead of it's time.
31.10.2006 - 19:21
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I got my info from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Sandoval
Obviously wikipedia isnt necessarily the most reliable of sources and I am not a drummer so I am willing to admit that you are right here. Perhaps some more research is in order though.
02.11.2006 - 13:45
Doh
Written by Richard on 17.07.2006 at 03:46

So is the line-up on the new album the same as it was before, apart from the different vocalist?

New bass player as well.

World Downfall is my favourite grind album of all times , Darker Days Ahead is good death metal .
06.11.2006 - 08:54
ErabatukII
Whoa. No mention of Jesse Pintado's death here. Well anyway he was the guitarist of Terrorizer and most would know he went on to join Napalm Death in 1990. He passed away in late August this year.

Terrorizer World Downfall is still up there as one of my all time fav grind albums, as is still considered one of the best by critics. The album was recorded in a few days, Pete Sandoval himself breezing through the songs. As far as him using one 'pedal', that would be false. It's obvious that he is using two pedals.
That wikipedia article could be saying that he was using a single bass drum with a double pedal set up, and that he started using bass drums with seperate bass pedals after joining Morbid Angel (Both slightly different set ups).

I'm also sure he had joined Morbid Angel far before the Terrorizer album had been recorded. MA had lent David Vincent as a favour to Terrorizer after pinching Pete to join their band, David having never been a member until the actual recording. Also Terrorizer had been split up for a few years, and this album was a one off reunion/fairwell tribute.

The latest album is nowhere near the legendary status or quality of the debut, though it does have a fair amount of great songs. I prefer the original guitar tone of the "tuned to D" guitars. This later one is tuned down too much and loses the hardcore aspect of World Downfall. Also it's dissapointing that Oscar Garcia did not choose to join for this reformation. Note: Oscar didn't exactly disappear from the scene. He formed Nausea L.A. (who are still going) after Terrorizer disbanded.
----
06.11.2006 - 23:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, Jesse's death has already been talked about though. That's probably why no one brought it up.
17.05.2007 - 02:13
Blackwinged 666
Account deleted
Old topic, but hail the almighty Terrorizer... I'm sure, I would say Darker Days Ahead is awesome, but I already have heard World Downfall.... Both of the albums are great, but Jessie and Pete should left Terrorizer rest in peace and glory... The second album was redundant, despite being really good. Instead of dead grind legend, we have only a legendary grind album and a good death metal album... and one incredible guitarist dead. Not so bad for a swan song
25.01.2009 - 22:06
Gigginova
Account deleted
Wow, I just heard these guys for the first time just now on last.fm! They're awesome, They remind me of Possessed, only less technical. I love the Political themes

25.01.2009 - 22:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I wanna find some Terrorizer but none of the music stores where i am carry a wide enough variety of metal to even have a chance of potentially finding what i want. bastards.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.01.2009 - 22:38
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by LeChron James on 25.01.2009 at 22:30

I wanna find some Terrorizer but none of the music stores where i am carry a wide enough variety of metal to even have a chance of potentially finding what i want. bastards.

But to me they seem quite underground.
I'm new to the band, but judging by first impression, they seem like a band where you must order their cd online.
25.01.2009 - 22:42
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Guest on 25.01.2009 at 22:38

Written by LeChron James on 25.01.2009 at 22:30

But to me they seem quite underground.
I'm new to the band, but judging by first impression, they seem like a band where you must order their cd online.

yeah im new to them too. i wanna check em out mainly cuz Pete Sandoval used to play drums for them and apparently hes wayy faster in Terrorizer than in Morbid Angel, which seems crazy cuz he's fast as shit in MA, but if i can get my hands on one of their cds, its gonna be CRACKIN.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.01.2009 - 22:50
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I remember listening to their album "World Downfall" a long time ago, and I really liked it. I need to listen to it again. I still have it on my computer, so I'll probably listen to it soon.
27.01.2009 - 03:23
Gigginova
Account deleted
Oh yeahh, Pete Sandoval did play for them didn't he? lol

"World Downfall" does have a striking resemblence to "Altars Of Madness" now that I think about it.
04.03.2009 - 00:16
WITCHCLAN
Terrorizer are legends, World Downfall is one of my favourite albums of all time but I have to admit that I am really really slack and have not yet heard their latest effort which is really bad of me I know!
Oscar Garcia was a class vocalist and I have no idea what to expect from the latest one but am eager to find out. I don't think it got very good reviews but I am an original fan from the early days so I need to hear it really! Can anyone give a definitive opinion on it?
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
05.03.2009 - 00:24
Conservationist
Their second album was pretty average and not really great. It sounds like later Napalm Death: disorganized riffing and a lot of angry intensity to try to make up for it, but the songs didn't hold together.

But World Downfall is awesome.
04.06.2009 - 23:53
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
3 new demo songs are available for streming at Terrorizer MySpace. This are the first songs since Jesse died...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
04.06.2009 - 23:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Who plays guitar for them now?

Wait, I'm confused. Crematorium and Legacy of Brutality aren't new songs.
14.06.2009 - 17:36
kackbratze
Yeah, it's only one new song.

And goddamn, it sounds awful to be honest. "Darker Days Ahead" wasn't really good, but this has nothing to do with the old Terrorizer of "World Downfall". I think they should really call it quits now...

Why don't they ask the old vocalist Oscar Garcia to participate again? After all he is still somewhat active. Check out Nausea, they are maybe not as furious as old Terrorizer, but the music feels similar, also because of the vocalist of course...

http://www.myspace.com/nauseala
06.08.2009 - 15:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Looks like Jup might be right about the single bass drum thing - http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/

but I still don't believe it xD