Metal Storm logo
American Progressive Metal or European Progressive Metal?

Original post

Posted by , 30.09.2008 - 05:59
This is pretty straight forward...which one do you like better? American prog (Cynic, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Kamelot, Queensryche, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, Watchtower, Zero Hour) verses European prog (Beyond Twilight, Threshold, Adagio, Mekong Delta, Sieges Even, Vanden Plas, Sun Caged, Pagan's Mind, Evergrey, Pain Of Salvation)

I know that there are a lot more but I personally enjoy the European progressive metal scene better...I find that those bands are willing to explore more with their music and simply have a lot more to offer...I find a lot of what the American scene is putting out these days to be pretty boring...

How about you guys?
03.10.2008 - 14:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 23:10

@marillionfan: Well, I couldn't agree more with you on that one...Damnation is one of my favorite Opeth albums...did that album do well in sales and with fans? If so, Opeth should think about that and possibly release another album with this kind of material...so, Watershed really is less progressive metal? I have the album but haven't really got to listening to it...there is still a lot of complex twists in turns as far as songwriting from what I remember...

Happy Birthday
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.10.2008 - 01:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm in European Progressive Metal, because most of bands which I like in this genre are European. Pain of Salvation, Green Carnation, Opeth, Ayreon and even Ihsahn are my favorite Progressive bands which are my favorite..
06.10.2008 - 05:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
the US beat the shit out of Europe in all the melodic metal genres, and in progressive there is simply not question. maybe it is because european prog is too closely related to that nature's error called european power metal, but I really can't think of a decent euro prog band, at least melodic. I used to find Beyond Twilight interesting, but now even them work on my nerves.
06.10.2008 - 06:48
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Introspekrieg on 30.09.2008 at 19:21

Europe - Opeth, Ayreon, After Forever, Porcupine Tree, Evergrey, Pain Of Salvation, Vintersorg, Green Carnation, Riverside, Adagio, Edenbridge, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Stream Of Passion, Ihsahn, Andromeda, Communic, Vanden Plas, Textures, Disillusion, Threshold, Beyond Twilight, Ark, Royal Hunt, To-Mera, Vanishing Point, Deadsoul Tribe

North America - Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nevermore, Devin Townsend, Into Eternity, Shadow Gallery, Control Denied, Fates Warning

Although Europe may outnumber America with sheer majority of bands in the progressive genre, I still prefer the Western bands. I also like all the "progressive" death metal stylings of those Florida and Canada bands

...hmm i don't see after forever as a prog band...i think they r more gothic...i like those canada bands too alot

...i really like a little bit of american & european prog...if i had to choose one i'd say american, only because dream theater is one of my favorite bands...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
06.10.2008 - 06:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by nana.MD on 06.10.2008 at 06:48

...hmm i don't see after forever as a prog band...i think they r more gothic...i like those canada bands too alot

From Reimagine (2005) onwards the prog elements in their music have been increasing... along with their usual symphonic and gothic styles...
06.10.2008 - 06:59
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.10.2008 at 06:53

Written by nana.MD on 06.10.2008 at 06:48

From Reimagine (2005) onwards the prog elements in their music have been increasing... along with their usual symphonic and gothic styles...

...oooh i see...well the thing is i didn't like reimagine and i haven't listened to their albums since them...i would have to check them out but the true is i'm not excited about it...mm maybe someday i will
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
06.10.2008 - 09:33
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 05:06

the US beat the shit out of Europe in all the melodic metal genres, and in progressive there is simply not question. maybe it is because european prog is too closely related to that nature's error called european power metal, but I really can't think of a decent euro prog band, at least melodic. I used to find Beyond Twilight interesting, but now even them work on my nerves.

Symphony X and Kamelot have power-metal elements as well...
06.10.2008 - 21:44
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 09:33

I wasn't exactly refering to them when I talk about american prog. Those bands are exceptions to the rule, as there are certainly in Europe, too.
06.10.2008 - 22:48
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 21:44

Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 09:33

I wasn't exactly refering to them when I talk about american prog. Those bands are exceptions to the rule, as there are certainly in Europe, too.

I see what you mean; I dislike power metal influenced prog-metal as well (the exceptions are very few).
06.10.2008 - 23:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think Symphony X is certainly an exception. They are a great prog band which happens to have power metal elements but it actually works pretty well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.10.2008 - 03:44
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 06.10.2008 at 23:53

I think Symphony X is certainly an exception. They are a great prog band which happens to have power metal elements but it actually works pretty well.

True. I guess it's the same with Kamelot, we can say the last album has some progressive elements, although they're power metal.

I don't know about the topic.. is hard to decide between american or european. In one hand you have Dream Theater, Kamelot, Symphony X, Nevermore.. in the other hand Opeth, Ayreon, Evergrey and so on. In Europe I have most of my favorite bands like Opeth and Ayreon. Kamelot is one of my favorite americas band but I can't consider them entirely progressive, so I guess I'd have to chose Europe.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
07.10.2008 - 03:58
Gigginova
Account deleted

the US beat the shit out of Europe in all the melodic metal genres,

The US is more known for their extreme metal though
i've never even heard of any Melodic/Gothenburg-Death Metal band from the US, so Europe would win by default. Oh and not to mention Power Metal.
07.10.2008 - 04:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.10.2008 at 03:58

the US beat the shit out of Europe in all the melodic metal genres,

The US is more known for their extreme metal though
i've never even heard of any Melodic/Gothenburg-Death Metal band from the US, so Europe would win by default. Oh and not to mention Power Metal.

It's basically in power metal in which I was thinking when I made this distinction... I mean... Vicious Rumours, old Iced Earth, Virgin Steele, Agent Steel by one side, Rhapsody Of Fire, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Dragonforce and other monuments to cheesiness on the other shore...

that correlative greatness and weakness by both sides of the pond it's contagious to their respective prog scenes.
07.10.2008 - 12:09
FOOCK Nam

I really enojy prog from America as by Devin Townsend or Savatage. I think I less listen to EU prog, but I cant say I dont enjoy Adagio.
08.10.2008 - 00:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 07.10.2008 at 12:09

I really enojy prog from America as by Devin Townsend or Savatage. I think I less listen to EU prog, but I cant say I dont enjoy Adagio.

Savatage is heavy metal its closer to US Apower but prog no way
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2008 - 00:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 08.10.2008 at 00:02

Well some of their albums without Jon can be considered quite progressive, but that is stretching a bit far even IMO. But then proggies always like to call, no matter what sort of music it is, the music they like pogressive. I have come across proggies calling some pure old school death metal progressive. Porbably cause they don't want to acknowledge they like other genres outside of progressive metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2008 - 00:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.10.2008 at 00:26

Written by Bad English on 08.10.2008 at 00:02

Well some of their albums without Jon can be considered quite progressive, but that is stretching a bit far even IMO. But then proggies always like to call, no matter what sort of music it is, the music they like pogressive. I have come across proggies calling some pure old school death metal progressive. Porbably cause they don't want to acknowledge they like other genres outside of progressive metal.

Whit out Jon maybe but I like all albums whit or whit out him and its still more HM sound like Prog for me
Somehow I had feeling those who say I listen Prog, if Mayhem or Cannibal Corpse be named i prog and continue play bM or DM some prog fans say I like that music, its prog

Have you hear Fates Warning version about IM ''Flight Of Icarus'' I cant find that song nowhere
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2008 - 08:58
FOOCK Nam

@K7: I own the Handful Of Rain, from Savatage, yeah its more heavy but some more or less prog influence. The structure of the songs are more with prog, as not common music structure, different melodies in a song, also lead solo, etc. I love best Alone You Breath track.
08.10.2008 - 10:00
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
America is the master pf prog music europe owns in power and many other styles

but America has the best Prog And Thrash metal bands

such as Dream Theater,Symphony X,Angra,Rush,Fates Warning,Enchant .. Just to name a Few
----
Stay Metal !!!
22.06.2009 - 05:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 08.10.2008 at 10:00

such as Dream Theater,Symphony X,Angra,Rush,Fates Warning,Enchant .. Just to name a Few

Rush is not American.
----
(space for rent)
22.06.2009 - 06:15
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Dane Train on 22.06.2009 at 05:24

Written by Dreamwar_86 on 08.10.2008 at 10:00

Rush is not American.

I think that he was saying "american" to referring to the continent, not USA, cuz Angra is not american in the general use of the word.

Dunno, I have always considered America as a continent not a country.

BTW I think I prefer mmm nah, let me think about this more time.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
02.11.2009 - 12:15
Kimiwind
Speed Metal God
With no doubt i wanna claim european progressive metal its much solid than the american one !! besides the bands you mentioned there is many much around pretty good talented too ..i can add royal hunt ( denmark ), last tribe ( sweden ) , and the list goes on ...
who like progressive and wanna get to know more about underground prog european bands !! you can pm me !! i can informe you with some great recomendations !! as im big fan of progressive for long time =)
----
Wintermoon Calls you, Follow It And You Will Be Proud Forever.
02.11.2009 - 13:19
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well to be honest, I don't make a difference between both sides of the pond, really, as I don't really consider that there's an american sound and an european one (as in, say, death metal with the Tampa and Stockholm scenes).
So, yes, both for me!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.11.2009 - 17:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Although I love many European prog bands, Dream Theater alone makes the american scene my favourite. But then we also have Rush and Symphony X, awesome bands too.
----
03.11.2009 - 09:32
ToMegaTherion

In almost all cases in most other genres I have a strong preferance for European metal, but Progressive is one of those genres that the Aericans seem to have mastered. My vote must therefore go to the American scene.
23.03.2010 - 05:21
whatsacow

European have most of my fave bands(opeth, porcupine tree, pain of salvation etc.), but america has cynic and dream theater. its a tough choice, but im gonna have to go european
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
31.03.2010 - 00:58
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well the US has Symphony X and Suspyre, the only two I can listen to, while Opeth, Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder are all Swedish, let alone European lol Tough one and of those Suspyre is my favourite, but in all I think Sweden might just beat them to it.
03.04.2010 - 01:39
Silent_wolfer

It's a tough choice for me cause i can't tell the difference (If their is a difference) as long as it gots Progressive elements i would listen to 'em and enjoy it, so i gotta say both.
01.07.2023 - 03:57
DaMaGeR
CFH
You forgot best european prog metal bands: VOLA (Denmark) and RAMAGE INC (Scotland). Also there are awesome extreme prog metal bands in Europe, like OBSCURA, ALKALOID and OBSIDIOUS.
01.07.2023 - 09:56
JoHn Doe

It's not a this vs that situation here for me, because I listen and enjoy both American progressive metal bands AND European ones.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.