Metal Storm logo
Haggard: Tales of Ithiria Tour - Bilbao, Spain, 25th September 2008

Event: Haggard: Tales Of Ithiria Tour 2008
Written by: Mariamne
Published: 02.10.2008

Galleries:

Haggard: Tales of Ithiria Tour - Bilbao, Spain, 25th September 2008 by Mariamne (13)

Haggard - Bilbao, Spain, 25.09.2008

The first date of the 'Tales of Ithiria' spanish tour took place in an small venue in the centre of Bilbao. The number of people in this location is very small compared with Madrid or Barcelona, but hosts countless metal concerts with a faithfull audience. So we were very lucky to have Haggard playing 3 days after their European tour had started.

When I arrived to the venue there were no more than 10 people waiting on the front door, 'strange' I thought. It's true that Haggard is not exactly a mainstream band and that weekday events won't ever have the same reception as a weekend concert but it was still weird. Mystery solved! The guest artist were no longer playing, so the concert woudn't start until almost two hours later. Around 9:30pm the venue was full of expectant people. For those who don't know Haggard yet, it must be said the quality and personality of their symphonic metal is different to anything known before and so are their concerts. Heavy riffs, folk elements of middle ages and classical singers with a very personal touch.

The election of the venue was well suited to the atmosphere; small, cozy and candle-lit, though the artists had little space to move around the stage. Even though it seems impossible to tour with so many band members we were able to enjoy violinists, tenor and sopranos, a cellist and pianist among others, a luxury for a metal concert. The band was presenting their last album released in August, 'Tales Of Ithiria', but did not forget to delight their followers with classic themes of the band. They moved without problem between more classic pieces like 'Herr Mannelig' and heavier ones such 'Per Aspera Ad Astra' or 'Awaking The Centuries'. The sound was neat, compact and clear all along the gig even in the first rows, in some way due to the dimensions of the venue. At the start of the march of 'The Final Victory' which has already become an hymn for the band, they encouraged the audience to sing along with them between laughs and jokes. One of the attractions of a concert is often the good mood in which the group plays. It did not waned in any moment, especially for one of the sopranos, Su, who didn't stop smiling and dancing for a single second. As always, some songs were missed but I guess you can never satisfy everyone. Many of us were however surprised by the absence of Mecano´s (Spanish pop band) 'Hijo De La Luna' on the setlist, a cover included on their latest work. They finished with 'Eppur Si Mouve', a song dedicated to Galileo Galilei and representative of the Haggard sound. Returning soon for a brief encore and leaving behind two hours of magical passage to the past.

Thanks to Scarynoise for the accreditation.

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 96 users
02.10.2008 - 13:11
Enissa
Wow, very interesting
I wish they could come to Syria.......
02.10.2008 - 14:54
RiouxMax
Woah! Awesome setlist! Lucky you, they never came to canada...And looks like they won't come here before a while!
02.10.2008 - 19:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im happy its first international band who ever played in Bask land , justice had came for this small land
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.10.2008 - 20:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Nice Setlist indeed. And most of the time they don't change a set during one tour, which means I'll see the same set next month
----
02.10.2008 - 23:07
Mariamne
Written by Bad English on 02.10.2008 at 19:41

Im happy its first international band who ever played in Bask land , justice had came for this small land

We have lots of bands playing in the Basque country international and gooooood bands
Have you ever seen this beautiful land?
02.10.2008 - 23:32
Zeleznk
looks like this was really a magical concert. can't wait for them to come to Slovenia! I think they're worth driving to Maribor (although the gas prices aren't cheap )
----
()...()
:0,,0:
02.10.2008 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Mariamne on 02.10.2008 at 23:07

We have lots of bands playing in the Basque country international and gooooood bands

Hmm, when I look tour dates for Spain, there's moustly madrid, Barcelona, maybe sevilla or other countries but not Bilbao

Best think are Atletic de Bilbao and thay hate bastards real from capital just like me
----

apos;'
[image]
03.10.2008 - 12:32
Mariamne
Written by Bad English on 02.10.2008 at 23:35

Written by Mariamne on 02.10.2008 at 23:07

Hmm, when I look tour dates for Spain, there's moustly madrid, Barcelona, maybe sevilla or other countries but not Bilbao

Best think are Atletic de Bilbao and thay hate bastards real from capital just like me

Hehehe, yes, Bilbao is a very small city compared to Madrid or Barcelona, but we can't complain about all the gigs we have. Basque Country is full of metalheads
03.10.2008 - 23:13
mantiviking
Thank you for this article! I hope they will come to the Basque Country again in their next tour!!

Euskal Metalhead-a
04.10.2008 - 03:06
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Cool setlist there with almost all of their classics, from what i've read seems like you've got a great evening. Thanks for the article. Wish i could see them live someday....
04.10.2008 - 13:09
Mariamne
Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 03:06

Cool setlist there with almost all of their classics, from what i've read seems like you've got a great evening. Thanks for the article. Wish i could see them live someday....

You're most welcome dear
04.10.2008 - 13:10
Mariamne
Written by mantiviking on 03.10.2008 at 23:13

Thank you for this article! I hope they will come to the Basque Country again in their next tour!!

Euskal Metalhead-a

You're welcome I hope so too
04.10.2008 - 15:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Happy late b-day man and if there was good setliste thay miss song ''Dady Was Her Firts Man'' thats song what I want hear live
----

apos;'
[image]
04.10.2008 - 18:13
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.10.2008 at 15:23

Happy late b-day man and if there was good setliste thay miss song ''Dady Was Her Firts Man'' thats song what I want hear live

That song is from their first EP right? Well I doubt if they would ever play the songs from that early era live. Oh and thanks for the birthday wish
04.10.2008 - 18:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 18:13

That song is from their first EP right? Well I doubt if they would ever play the songs from that early era live. Oh and thanks for the birthday wish

I know, some people can get trauma of that song read lyrics

''A sweet girl of eleven years ..
..Her virginity - lost to the own father
There he comes with alcoholic breath ..

Read it, its deep and so true man , this song says all about it, such thinks heppen offen,
----

apos;'
[image]
04.10.2008 - 20:37
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.10.2008 at 18:29

Written by Guest on 04.10.2008 at 18:13

I know, some people can get trauma of that song read lyrics

''A sweet girl of eleven years ..
..Her virginity - lost to the own father
There he comes with alcoholic breath ..

Read it, its deep and so true man , this song says all about it, such thinks heppen offen,

Haha but yeah, you're absolutely right, come across things like that sometimes.

Hits total: 7557 | This month: 9