Metal Storm logo
Dimebag vs Chuck Schuldiner

Poll

Which of these two dead guitarists do you like more?

Chuck
Dimebag

Total votes: 124
05.10.2008 - 17:31
Demonmayonnaise

In the Dave vs Chuck thread, Marcel stated that he thinks that dead guitarists always win, because they are dead. Afterwards he mentioned something about Dimebag being idolized at death, just like Chuck. So I got the idea to put these two dead guys face to face, and see which one all of you think is better. Im not gonna vote just yet, gonna give both a good listen to before I decide.
05.10.2008 - 17:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I'm going to open this by saying that Most will probably vote for Chuck, because most metal heads will more than likely have that preference, plus Chuck sorta helped to ivent one of the most pivotal Subgenres in metal....ya know, no big deal.

And, I picked Chuck. He is from a technical aspect, way better than Dimebag. Also, I think he was waaaay more creative and just as, if not more, unique than Dimebag. Just better in ever way imo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.10.2008 - 17:48
Demonmayonnaise

Atleast people cant make the excuse "Well he's only winning because he's dead."
05.10.2008 - 17:52
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 05.10.2008 at 17:48

At least people cant make the excuse "Well he's only winning because he's dead."

Yes, true, but now people are going to probably say "He's winning because on many plains there's no comparison." That's my prediction anyway, who knows if that'll be the outcome. Of course there will be that Minority who disagrees and pointlessly argues in great vehemence in favor of dimebag, and then people will just as pointlessly argue in vehemence in favor of chuck lol. All just my opinion though.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
05.10.2008 - 18:29
Branzig

I have to go with Chuck on this one. I love everything about his guitar work. from his brutal death beginnings to his tech-death end.

Dimebag could shred, but in my opinion, Chuck has him beat on all levels.
----
In Grind We Crust
05.10.2008 - 18:46
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ahem.. why comparing a god with a simple Guitarist ?? (GO CHUCK)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2008 - 19:08
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
wow. god vs simple guitarist? what are you talking about? By the way, X-Caliber, you shouldn't start a thread if you are not ready to vote yet, that's the rule...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.10.2008 - 19:30
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Chuck was as proficient, if not more, on the guitar as Dime, plus he had to do vocals.
Also if you look at their final work you will see there is no comparison The Sound Of Perseverance, The Fragile Art of Existence vs Reinventing the Steel, New Found Power
05.10.2008 - 20:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 05.10.2008 at 18:46

Since when is Chuck a God? And why the hell would you call him a God? No musician is God (except of course Lemmy )
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.10.2008 - 21:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.10.2008 at 20:39

Since when is Chuck a God? And why the hell would you call him a God? No musician is God (except of course Lemmy )

LOL Lemmy is funny but yeah lets get back on Topic.. Chuck is my god, Lemmy might be yours i don't care lol but something is certain... Dimebag can't match him
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2008 - 22:14
Hamird
Lieutenant

Since when is Chuck a God? And why the hell would you call him a God? No musician is God (except of course Attila Csihar )
05.10.2008 - 22:45
Gigginova
Account deleted
Dimebag!
I didn't even have to give that question any thought.
05.10.2008 - 22:52
Nightmare^

Chuck of course, "Father of Death Metal", a real mastermind of music. Without him, much of the metal scene would be totally different, as he's an inspiration to lots of guitarist out there.

Btw, Dimebag is just a guitarist. I never understood all the fuss about him.
----
05.10.2008 - 23:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I was hesitating for a few hours, but I think Chuck's music became better with each album, but I really liked Dimebag's playing on two albums: Cowboys and Vulgar Displays. So my vote goes to Chuck...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

06.10.2008 - 01:31
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Hamird on 05.10.2008 at 22:14

Since when is Chuck a God? And why the hell would you call him a God? No musician is God (except of course Attila Csihar )

Nah he's Satan

I voted for Dimebag - he just has a more distinct playing style. Within a few seconds of a Pantera song you know that it's Pantera.
06.10.2008 - 02:54
theflyingmachine

This website may make me a little biased against Chuck, just because there are so many people on here that absolutely refuse to allow criticism of him or to compare Death to another band. But, I still think Dimebag is superior, just because he can actually infuse catchiness into his solos and still manage to be technical without going overboard.
06.10.2008 - 03:45
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Dangerboner on 06.10.2008 at 01:31

Written by Hamird on 05.10.2008 at 22:14

Nah he's Satan

I voted for Dimebag - he just has a more distinct playing style. Within a few seconds of a Pantera song you know that it's Pantera.

Same reason here, Dimebag is unique.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.10.2008 - 15:48
Demonmayonnaise

I prefer Chuck. I think Dimebag is a great guitarist, has great riffs, style, and leads, but Chuck has all that too. I prefer Chucks music to Dimebags though. I think that Chuck has some beautiful solos, and some very amazing riffs. Both are unique, and it was rough to choose between them, but I just like Chucks style better.
06.10.2008 - 18:45
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 06.10.2008 at 15:48

I prefer Chuck. I think Dimebag is a great guitarist, has great riffs, style, and leads, but Chuck has all that too. I prefer Chucks music to Dimebags though. I think that Chuck has some beautiful solos, and some very amazing riffs. Both are unique, and it was rough to choose between them, but I just like Chucks style better.

I love how you answer after you hear everyone elses opinions.

I voted for dimebag. Chuck did some good work but I perfer Dime's guitaring. His solos are superior and his riffs are amazing. But don't get me wrong Chuck is fuckin wickid too. Took me awhile to decide on this poll.
06.10.2008 - 19:08
Demonmayonnaise

I wasnt waiting to hear everyone elses opinions. I made the poll, thought about it... went to work, came back and made my decision.
06.10.2008 - 20:06
Branzig

Written by Demonmayonnaise on 06.10.2008 at 19:08

I wasnt waiting to hear everyone elses opinions. I made the poll, thought about it... went to work, came back and made my decision.

And the right decision, I might add
----
In Grind We Crust
06.10.2008 - 20:11
totaliteraliter

Perhaps the two most overrated guitarists in metal? Chuck wins by default I think, Dimebag was just a rockstar poser who never contributed to anything that wasn't lowbrow pap; more interested in partying and showing off his skills than anything artistic. Chuck was much more ambitious and credible by comparison (though certainly no "god"). The horrifying and occasionally disgusting praise and deification of Schuldiner always makes it tough to give him the credit he actually deserves, but he wins this competition with ease.
06.10.2008 - 20:47
Nightmare^

Written by totaliteraliter on 06.10.2008 at 20:11

Perhaps the two most overrated guitarists in metal? Chuck wins by default I think, Dimebag was just a rockstar poser who never contributed to anything that wasn't lowbrow pap; more interested in partying and showing off his skills than anything artistic. Chuck was much more ambitious and credible by comparison (though certainly no "god"). The horrifying and occasionally disgusting praise and deification of Schuldiner always makes it tough to give him the credit he actually deserves, but he wins this competition with ease.

Wow...i liked this one Cheers!
----
06.10.2008 - 20:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
chuck is way more technical than dimebag, i like dimebag a lot more and think he did make something unique and out of the blue, not only with riffs and groove and stuff, but tone, attitude etc. he truly stood out from the masses.

i can't decide yet though
06.10.2008 - 20:52
Elio
Red Nightmare
Two very good guitarist, for different reasons, but as I can say many people can't decide...same here.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
06.10.2008 - 23:29
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 06.10.2008 at 19:08

Shoulda thought about it before you made the poll.
09.10.2008 - 02:17
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well you see.. i think that Chuck explored his genre more than Dimebag did with his... I'm not saying Dimebag wasn't good .. but i find Chuck better. Chuck became better after each album released.. thats amazing. Plus, i never get bored of Death's music.. i can't say that with Pantera.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.10.2008 - 15:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Nightmare^ on 06.10.2008 at 20:47

Written by totaliteraliter on 06.10.2008 at 20:11

Wow...i liked this one Cheers!

Great answer man! Agree to!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.10.2008 - 00:28
Haightredy

I don't see any comparison, Chuck was one of the pioneers of Death Metal.... while Dimebag, while I still enjoy listening to Pantera, basically had little to no influence on the genre.
23.10.2008 - 09:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Haightredy on 23.10.2008 at 00:28

I don't see any comparison, Chuck was one of the pioneers of Death Metal.... while Dimebag, while I still enjoy listening to Pantera, basically had little to no influence on the genre.

Well, in the nineties Pantera was keeping Thrash alive, and exploring a new genre of Groove Thrash. And man, Dimebag had a unique, distinguishable style. How do can you not hear it?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner