Band: Heavy Lord
Album: From Cosmos To Chaos
Release date: March 2006

01. Elephaunt
02. Scorpion Sting
03. The Ego Has Landed
04. One In A Billion
05. While Empires Burn

With a name like Heavy Lord it really isn't very hard to guess what sort of music this Dutch band plays. Yes - it's the oppressively heavy type of doom metal with sludge and stoner tendencies, influenced by bands like Cathedral, Eyehategod and Crowbar (and of course by the immortal Black Sabbath). Luckily, on From Cosmos To Chaos the band also displays a good sense of dynamics and knows how to vary things a little bit (think Acid Bath-lite) and the result is a record that although far from ground-breaking, is nevertheless quite enjoyable to listen and headbang to.

I suppose that when catering to a genre as niche as stoner/sludge doom has become, the key requirement is for the band to be quite apt at providing the audience with what they expect. Seriously, how innovative can you get with a style that remains relatively untouched by the outside world for 35 years? Heavy Lord isn't about to reinvent the wheel and they immediately let us know this by quoting a Sabbath riff in "Scorpion Sting". Instead, they focus on good song writing and this is where From Cosmos To Chaos shines. The musicians are also all very good at what they are doing, with special mention going to the vocalist, who is capable of providing both brooding, bluesy melodic singing and a real, deep death metal growl. My favorite moment on the album is when after a sudden explosion of speed in "The Ego Has Landed", the band launches into the relatively fast and extreme "One In A Billion".

So there you have it. It is possible to make a good album without being innovative, as long as the prerequisite of quality song-writing is fulfilled. Heavy Lord has a lot of that and From Cosmos To Chaos is a definite success. By doom fans and for doom fans, this album will probably be seen as one of the best in its genre this year.

Written on 28.06.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 16 users
29.06.2006 - 01:50
Mariusz
Account deleted
Not bad stuff. I feel little Candlemass style and that's very good thing. Music is slow and thats a good counterpoise for most of metal bands that are usually very fast. Personally I like much faster metal music.
07.07.2006 - 02:36
huubi
Account deleted
I think its boring... Sorry,...

Hits total: 4986 | This month: 15