Metal Storm logo
Thy Majestie

10.10.2008 - 13:17
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I think this Italian band certainly deserves their own forum thread on MS!
Their second album 'Hastings 1066' is a quintessential power metal classic. Certainly one of the best power albums I have ever heard, IMO rivalling Fairyland's Of 'Wars In Osyrhia' and Angra's 'Temple Of Shadows'.
Every song is so well thoroughly composed with Symphonic and choral perfection, plenty of progressive bits. It tells the story of the Battle of Hastings, 1066. The main characters of course include William of Normandy (the Conqueror) and King Harold. This is such an epic beautiful album that perfectly conveys this battle and delves on the mythology surrounding some of the parts of the battle, such as King Harold being shot through the eye with an arrow, and continuing to fight thereafter.
The bands first release is a little bland IMO, the third release 'Jeanne D'Arc' (Joan of Arc) tries to accomplish what Hasting's did, but to not much avail.
The new 2008 album with a new singer and a powerful theme 'Dawn' though definitely is back on the right track. One of my favourite albums I have heard so far this year! Also check out their cover of Stryper's In God We Trust.

So what do you think of Thy Majestie?!
10.10.2008 - 18:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I've never heard anything by this band, but if you say that they're rivalling both Fairyland and Angra I think I better get myself their Hastings 1066 release since I find that battle quite interesting as well.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.10.2008 - 21:48
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Oh I love Thy Majestie! One of the great underrated symphonic power metal bands. Truly epic metal melodies; other bands in the genre should take note of how well Thy Majestie utilizes the keyboards and classical symphonic elements.

I just ordered Dawn and am excited to hear the new singer as well as the new material. I haven't heard any clips or downloaded anything.. I want to be totally surprised
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.10.2008 - 00:55
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just ordered Hastings 1066 but without hearing it yet. Hope it's as good as promised
----

16.10.2008 - 17:11
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by GT on 11.10.2008 at 00:55

Just ordered Hastings 1066 but without hearing it yet. Hope it's as good as promised

Well I hope you like it then! I might feel bad otherwise!!

No it really is one of my favourite power metal albums. And it is so much better than the other two releases that surround it.

The new album Dawn is very good though i've been listening to it a fair bit
17.10.2008 - 18:09
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Shadowcross on 16.10.2008 at 17:11

Written by GT on 11.10.2008 at 00:55

Well I hope you like it then! I might feel bad otherwise!!

No it really is one of my favourite power metal albums. And it is so much better than the other two releases that surround it.

The new album Dawn is very good though i've been listening to it a fair bit

Haha no worries mate it's not your fault if I end up not liking it...if that should happen I can only thank myself for not giving it a listen before ordering. Anyway I'll let you know when it arrives
----

17.10.2008 - 23:06
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Susan on 10.10.2008 at 21:48

Oh I love Thy Majestie! One of the great underrated symphonic power metal bands. Truly epic metal melodies; other bands in the genre should take note of how well Thy Majestie utilizes the keyboards and classical symphonic elements.

I just ordered Dawn and am excited to hear the new singer as well as the new material. I haven't heard any clips or downloaded anything.. I want to be totally surprised

Dario is a great singer and a really nice guy too. You will certainly be surprised with this record I have a feeling, unless anyone can give me a better example this is the very best power album that has been released so far this year. It leaves Jeanne D'Arc for dead
23.10.2008 - 19:51
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
My copy of Hastings 1066 just arrived today and it went straight into the player. It's quite good. Different from what I expected, but not in a bad way, just not as symphonic as I thought it would be.
----

24.10.2008 - 23:43
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i found this band accidentally and i liked a couple of their songs...they r good but after listening to their songs twice i get bored a bit...but i do like to hear them once in a while...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
25.10.2008 - 09:46
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by GT on 23.10.2008 at 19:51

My copy of Hastings 1066 just arrived today and it went straight into the player. It's quite good. Different from what I expected, but not in a bad way, just not as symphonic as I thought it would be.

Did your copy of the album come with lyrics in the booklet?
I think the mixing and production is excellent with the interludes of choral and symphonic arrangement. It isn't like, say, Dark Moor or Nightwish style symphonic.
I found it grew on me a lot over time
26.10.2008 - 12:54
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Shadowcross on 25.10.2008 at 09:46

Written by GT on 23.10.2008 at 19:51

Did your copy of the album come with lyrics in the booklet?
I think the mixing and production is excellent with the interludes of choral and symphonic arrangement. It isn't like, say, Dark Moor or Nightwish style symphonic.
I found it grew on me a lot over time

Yeah it has lyrics in the booklet. Haven't read them yet.
I expected something in the vein of Dark Moor, but it doesn't matter I still like it
----

21.02.2009 - 11:36
Sutekh
Still playing Dawn, though I have to say I preferred the historic storyline of Jeanne d'Arc. Dawn feels a little different (probably due to the change of personnel), and is certainly not bad, however I got more caught up in Jeanne d'Arc. I really like the way they arrange their music.
05.04.2009 - 08:44
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Sutekh on 21.02.2009 at 11:36

Still playing Dawn, though I have to say I preferred the historic storyline of Jeanne d'Arc. Dawn feels a little different (probably due to the change of personnel), and is certainly not bad, however I got more caught up in Jeanne d'Arc. I really like the way they arrange their music.

Did you listen to Hastings 1066? best story...
26.05.2009 - 22:07
Shadowcross
The Summoner
27.05.2009 - 08:03
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Yes Hastings 1066 is truly a masterpiece but I'm really digging Dawn. It is different, but not that much. It's still the same band obviously, just a bit more straight metal. I need to listen more to make a better opinion but on the first few listens I found it rather fun
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
06.05.2010 - 15:20
Angel Of Mercy
Didn't they cover a stryper song?
----
Your time will come.
16.08.2010 - 14:26
Sutekh
Written by Shadowcross on 05.04.2009 at 08:44

Written by Sutekh on 21.02.2009 at 11:36

Did you listen to Hastings 1066? best story...

Yeah, I got it about six months ago -you're right, it's better than Jeanne! Great album, great story -I just taught the Battle of Hastings at school, too
18.08.2010 - 03:51
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Yay for old threads being revived

It IS funny how much history we've learned just from listening to Thy Majestie. I ended up buying a book and reading all about King Harold and the Battle of Hastings, haha. That's awesome that you taught about it - it's a fascinating time in British and European history!!

Back to the band though, Hastings 1066 is a wonderful album but my new favourite is Dawn. It's far more mature musically; quite a ride full of heartfelt melodies and energetic power metal. Musically comparable to the latest from bands like Dark Moor and Masterplan, if you're into them.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
18.08.2010 - 03:53
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 06.05.2010 at 15:20

Didn't they cover a stryper song?

And yes, they covered "In God We Trust." It's on the Echoes of War EP and Hastings 1066 album.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
20.08.2010 - 17:32
Angel Of Mercy
What original songs should I check out?
----
Your time will come.
20.08.2010 - 20:12
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Well, everyone here will have a different opinion of that. They haven't done many covers, so if you want some "original" Thy Majestie you could really start anyway. I'd advise the opening track from latest album, "Dawn." If you like it, listen to the rest of the album. It's spectacular. If you still like it, you can move back through the rest of their discography. Enjoy
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"