Metal Storm logo
Godemiché - Blatant Velvet Cacoon rip-off

12.10.2008 - 16:38
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
...but a very enjoyable one.

Their first full length 'Dexing & Dreaming' is very much in the vein Velvet Cacoon. In fact everything about the band is styled after VC: the imagery, the song names, the themes, even the logo font is reminiscent of VC's logo. so you can expect the music to be muddy, repetitive and with drug induced atmospheres. Anyway, I can honestly say I like that album a hell of a lot, primarily because it's like the album VC never released. I don't think they'll will be winning any awards for originality or anything but if you you loved Northsuite and Genevieve then there's a chance you'll like them, otherwise it's hit or miss. Might like it, might not.

Slight issue with the Myspace songs: they're all from demo's and sound absolutely nothing like the new album and thus a bit different from VC but here it is anyway:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=142201342
12.10.2008 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Do they also employ the dieselharp?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2008 - 16:44
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2008 at 16:39

Yep =P check their Myspace under the 'Band Members' section.

Possibly the fastest reply to a new thread ever O.o
12.10.2008 - 16:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 12.10.2008 at 16:44

My God, they do Couldn't this band possibly be one of VC's pranks? Because the reference to the imaginary dieselhapr is just too hilarious to be true.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2008 - 16:55
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.10.2008 at 16:49

Written by Guest on 12.10.2008 at 16:44

My God, they do Couldn't this band possibly be one of VC's pranks? Because the reference to the imaginary dieselhapr is just too hilarious to be true.

Well anything's possible, especially with Velvet Cacoon. If it is a prank it's a fairly well established one. From what I've read Godemiché seem to be self confessed VC fanatics and admit that their music is a rip off O.o
12.10.2008 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I was thinking it could be VC cause it is also a man and a woman (just like VC) same music, gimmick, etc. Trying to emulate them in every single little detail, upto the dieselharp.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.10.2008 - 21:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
The Velvet Cacoon story never ends.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.10.2008 - 23:11
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
This is a joke band. he released a split tape with "the werewolves of venice" which is the name of a non-existent velvet cacoon side-project. The recordings from that were some half-arsed "songs" that someone on the FMP forum did for fun and even ten were used without is permission

Why don't you go to www.fmp666.com and ask about them.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
13.10.2008 - 11:30
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 12.10.2008 at 23:11

This is a joke band. he released a split tape with "the werewolves of venice" which is the name of a non-existent velvet cacoon side-project. The recordings from that were some half-arsed "songs" that someone on the FMP forum did for fun and even ten were used without is permission

Why don't you go to www.fmp666.com and ask about them.

A joke band? Well the music doesn't sound like a joke (at least on 'Dexing and Dreaming') and besides the context doesn't really matter. I've no idea about the demo/split songs but the new album sounds cohesive and in the vein of VC so I don't see the problem. Anyhoo VC nicked a load of songs and faked stuff and they're real

Who is "he" anyway? Josh?

I can't stand the FMP forums. A collection of dicks at best.
13.10.2008 - 13:51
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 12.10.2008 at 21:40

The Velvet Cacoon story never ends.

Heh yep My life would be most boring if it stopped.
13.10.2008 - 22:10
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I think there's a difference between the following:

1) taking someone else's music without permission, sending it to a label to releasesd as a split with your own band.
2) Sharing some music on P2P with wrong filenames and letting other people hype it to death.

Besides, he only did it to copy VC. He used to have a band called 'Drunemeton (look it up on MA). He used to be this ultra-serious NSBMer and constantly posted insults about jews on the MA forum but never wrote anything actually relating to politics. He didn't releases anything other than myspace mp3s and a few CDrs of the first demo (as far as I know, only to get his band on MA by offering them for reviews).

He then made a U-turn seemingly in a matter of days and insisted that Drunemeton was removed from MA now that he wanted to worship Velvet Cacoon and sex toys rather than Von and racism. Like Boreb, it was kept on MA as a joke and then this thread happened soon after http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23230&start=0.

You can say "I only care about the music" but surely whether you take the artist seriously is a factor. As far as I know, VC created some hype by saying bizarre bullshit in interviews and mislabelling some mp3s. That's not quite so crazy. This guys a joke and an internet attention whore.

If you enjoy it, then so be it. If this guy came up with something great then I'd listen to it even though he's incredibly stupid but weak riffs with the drone and fuzz turned up doesn't do it for me.

This band almost released a split with Krieg on Red Stream Records which amazes me. Ah well, didn't Fat Lord Imperial say something about "survival of the fittest" in some interview? I know what he meant but I like irony.

Sorry for the long post but thought you might be interested. Scene gossip really only interests me when I find it frustrating that someone is praising something that's nothing more than an unoriginal joke. Also see: Drowning the Light.

The girl doesn't exist, by the way. I love that he's even claimed he's no longer in the band because he got laughed at on FMP.

If you need that split tape then you can have it for free. Send me your address if you want it.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
15.10.2008 - 11:08
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Heh, you said yourself that those supposedly stolen songs were done half assed and as a joke by what sounds like a FMP lurker, I don't really consider that worse that stealing two albums worth of an established bands' music and perpetuating rumours? Even if was offically offically released it doesn't sound like anything anyone's going to cry about. Besides it sounds like he was just emulating what VC did on a far less grand scale.

In all honesty this guy sounds pretty all over the place and though I really haven't looked into his history much a lot of it sounds hugely suspect anyway. The whole jew thing just sounds like an attempt to get himself noticed, as you said, as does the Drunemeton thing. He probably is a dick but the fact remains he's being pretty upfront about what Godemiché are all about, a VC rip off and I'm happy to leave at that. The demo and EP songs aren't worth batting an eyelid at but Dexing and Dreaming caught my attention as it's a very passable attempt at mimicking a type of music that pretty much appears on only two albums. As far as I know it's his music so unless it comes to light it's not I've really no problem. Plenty of bands have twats at the helm.