Metal Storm logo
Little Britain

13.10.2008 - 04:22
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Little Britain is a character-based comedy sketch show first appearing on BBC radio and then television. It was written by and stars Matt Lucas and David Walliams. The show comprises sketches involving exaggerated parodies of British people from all walks of life in various situations familiar to the British. These sketches are presented to the viewer together with narration in a manner which suggests that the programme is a guide - aimed at non-British people - to the ways of life of various classes of British society. Despite the narrator's description of great British institutions, the comedy is derived from the British audience's self-deprecating understanding of either themselves or people known to them.
An American version of the series, entitled Little Britain USA was created as a spin-off. The spin-off series will first be shown on HBO in the USA, and in Canada on The Movie Network.

I found this show's USA premiere amusing, but the laugh track is unbearable...
I was just wondering what others thought of this show...
14.10.2008 - 12:11
Baz Anderson

Little Britain is great, I have been with it since it came on to TV really. The first two series were really good, but the third series was a little bit of a let-down. Still funny though.
This Little Britain USA has been on our TV now and I watched the last couple of them - some parts very amusing but again there was nothing as funny as the first two series.
It really made me laugh a lot when Tom Baker (narrator) said "There are more fat people in America than there are people."
14.10.2008 - 17:55
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
the show is SHIT. The laughtrack is always a bad decision for any show. the humor is is terrible stereotypical British humor. I'm sorry this show just bugs the crap out of me.

a better show on HBO is, The Life And Times Of Tim. its a great show with humor reminiscent of Adult Swim.
----
Coldgrits
14.10.2008 - 18:26
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by -DC-002- on 14.10.2008 at 17:55

the show is SHIT. The laughtrack is always a bad decision for any show. the humor is is terrible stereotypical British humor. I'm sorry this show just bugs the crap out of me.

a better show on HBO is, The Life And Times Of Tim. its a great show with humor reminiscent of Adult Swim.

Yeah laughtrack just makes me feel dumb, like I need cues to tell me when something is funny. Sometimes it works when it is used for irony, or in a tasteful manner, but otherwise it just makes things less funny.
There were some good moments (the guy getting a boner with the guns, the gym dudes) but some lines like "Computer says no" I just found to be stupid, and they thought it was a good idea to repeat them. The next episode I could not believe they brought that receptionist character back, AND USED THE SAME LINE AGAIN. It makes no sense - most Americans view the British as being very polite (which they are compared to assholes here). It is a shame I have not seen the British version, I'm sure it must be better, because these just feel like they think they are funnier than they really are.

I am a huge fan of British humor - Black Adder, Extras, Fawlty Towers, Mr. Bean, The Office, Red Dwarf, but this is just embarrassing for them... hopefully they will come to their senses and remove that goddamn laughtrack.

Have YOU walked... er, rolled on the moon? NO!!!
14.10.2008 - 20:04
Baz Anderson

Hahaha, well I wouldn't say the American one is bad, but it is surprising you haven't seen the original three series. They are much better, well the first two series anyway.
14.10.2008 - 20:45
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Little Britain is probably one of the few British shows that I dont find funny at all....I love british humour esp The Office, Extras, Black Adder, Monty Python, The IT crowd - I just dont get Little Britain, its not funny its just really weird if you ask me.
14.10.2008 - 21:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 14.10.2008 at 20:45

Little Britain is probably one of the few British shows that I dont find funny at all....I love british humour esp The Office, Extras, Black Adder, Monty Python, The IT crowd - I just dont get Little Britain, its not funny its just really weird if you ask me.

Are you talking about Little Britain USA or the original series in the UK? I feel like I should at least watch the original and give it a chance but if it's just more of the same... well.

BTW - Your sig... what movie is that from? I want to say Snatch, but I'm not sure...
14.10.2008 - 23:50
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Indeed it is Snatch - Bullet tooth Tony hehe

Yeah Im talking about the original Little Britain...didnt even know theres a US version
14.10.2008 - 23:53
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by -DC-002- on 14.10.2008 at 17:55

what as opposed to predictable, repetitive american humour? (note the spelling of humour).

That aside i've never actualy seen the little britain USA, but the first two series are brilliant, although I get the feeling you actualy have to have lived in the UK to get alot of the jokes. I mean how could anyone who hasn't lived in britain get the pink track suite with the attitude?!?!?
15.10.2008 - 18:21
Baz Anderson

Exactly. The show is about being British. People that aren't, won't understand it completely.