Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden before praying for the dying

Original post

Posted by Yossarian, 16.10.2008 - 17:44
Hi,

First things first: my ghost will haunt at the person who votes for option number 9.

Jokes apart, this band is my ever favourite. And it will be entertaining for you pondering about which album do you like best. This poll came to my mind because in the last 20 years I have thought about which one is my favourite album from these seven and I have not come to a conclussion yet. My favourite songs are both from The Number of the Beast, but there are some tracks that I do not like in the album. I would choose between Piece of Mind, Powerslave or Somewhere in time and I can,t decide.
There is a previous poll about Iron Maiden nineties albums and I have not found something similar for the Golden Age so I am posting here the first part.

Poll

Which Iron Maiden album do you prefer before "No prayer for the dying"

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Powerslave
All of them
The Number Of The Beast
Somewhere In Time
Iron Maiden
Killers
Piece Of Mind
None of them

Total votes: 122
30.09.2009 - 16:49
GamlaSonn

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 16:36

Written by GamlaSonn on 30.09.2009 at 16:30

Good point. I want to say that unlike trash/thrash, it's unlikely to mistake Guthenberg with anything else than Gothenberg.

Also I should use this opportunity and say, isn't trash metal that genre with a lot of breakdowns and annyoing squeals?

Btw it's GothenbUrg not GothenbErg

As for the second part of your post that could also refer to actual thrash since that also has a shitload of breakdown (so-called mosh parts back in the day) and quite a few bands have annoying squeals there as well

As for the city name, how would you like it if someone said you were from Uslu and that a lot of black metal bands are from Burgen?

It's probably because that's how I say it in english, so in my head it becomes 'berg'

Na na na I can't hear you, my joke is perfectly fine!

Well Oslo and Bergen is written the same in english as in norwegian. I blame Sweden for making it so god damn complicated!!
30.09.2009 - 16:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by GamlaSonn on 30.09.2009 at 16:49

Well Oslo and Bergen is written the same in english as in norwegian. I blame Sweden for making it so god damn complicated!!

And there I totally agree.
Or blame the English for changing it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2009 - 17:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 16:25

Güthenburg doesn't exist, just like Trash metal isn't a genre

took me three years to discover this...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.11.2009 - 06:29
ToMegaTherion

They are all fantastic albums
04.11.2009 - 18:30
19Ninety-Three

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Reason: the song, Moonchild.
24.01.2010 - 02:53
thewall30

I voted for their debut, just so classic, I never get tired of that album...

In all honesty I probably should of voted for all of them though, their all so amazing!
----
11.03.2010 - 08:42
Aristarchos

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.12.2008 at 11:38

Of course I am serious about Bring Your Daughter being their worst song ever

I agree with you
13.03.2010 - 03:10
Richard

Bring Your Daughter TTS was one of Maiden's poorer moments, but it isn't really representative of the band. Many of Maiden's better songs are based on classic literature, historical events and such, and are rather more interesting lyrically (and also musically).

Of course, they are all fantastic albums - but I voted for Number of the Beast. Seventh Son would be a very close second. NOTB has aged very well, and still sounds great in this day and age, with some sublime songs such as Children of the Damned and Hallowed Be Thy Name, in which Bruce Dickinson really shows his vocal capabilty.

What's great, though, is that the more recent albums are also damn good, and some of their more recent material stands up alongside the older stuff.
----
15.03.2010 - 22:46
Don Martin
le fu-
Transylvania is the most epic Maiden song I know (and IMO). The fact that their debut was my first heavy metal record ever might also play part in my choice.
----
What a tackastrophe!
16.05.2011 - 21:38
Ghostdancer

On any given day my answer would be different. So I had to go with all of them. Each one has been my favorite at one time or another and it's a constantly shifting thing determined by my mood...and when it comes to music I'm pretty moody.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
19.05.2011 - 10:31
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Wow i can't believe Seventh Son is winning. Great album, definitely up there, but a few filler songs too many for a favourite IMO. Much the same as Powerslave and Number of the Beast. I always liked Somewhere in Time because i enjoyed all the songs. I voted for it, but it really isn't a clear favourite or anything.
20.05.2011 - 05:00
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Hmm, tough choice between Killers and SIT. I'll go with Killer's, it's just got a killer(harhar) classic metal vibe to it.
23.07.2011 - 16:34
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I love all of these. Hardest poll I've ever seen. I'll go with Seventh because IMO it has only one average song on it "The Prophecy". The others kick ass.
23.07.2011 - 20:20
@gent_-_orange

Gonna vote for Killers.... say what you want but I still think that Dianno was better with Maiden than Bruce was. Every song is Excellent on that album but Murders in the Rue Morgue is undoubtedly the highlight IMO.

EDIT: The Album artwork is also their best
23.07.2011 - 22:58
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by @gent_-_orange on 23.07.2011 at 20:20

Gonna vote for Killers.... say what you want but I still think that Dianno was better with Maiden than Bruce was. Every song is Excellent on that album but Murders in the Rue Morgue is undoubtedly the highlight IMO.

I agree that killers is fucking awesome, but comon man the artwork on Powerslave is way sexier
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.07.2011 - 23:50
GroundZero

"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" without a doubt, all songs are awesome.
24.07.2011 - 00:23
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guib on 23.07.2011 at 22:58

Written by @gent_-_orange on 23.07.2011 at 20:20

I agree that killers is fucking awesome, but comon man the artwork on Powerslave is way sexier

A lot more detailed perhaps but I like the simplicity of Killers, its got Eddie... And Thats all you need
24.07.2011 - 03:23
psykometal
A staff guy...
Number of the Beast FTW!!!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.07.2011 - 03:57
Pazu

Yeah, definately SSSOASS, I love that album. I think out of that era, it's their most melodic album, and I always enjoy myself some melodic stuffe, especiall when it's dead good.
24.07.2011 - 14:48
Jirpo

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave....
24.07.2011 - 21:23
Pennywise213
Account deleted
Its a hard choice between Powerslave and Seventh Son, they are both more progressive, but since I can't remember a single song of Powerslave it has to be Seventh Son of Seventh Son. It took 12 years for a worthy follow up.
26.07.2011 - 18:21
king_matt

Who in their right mind could've voted for none of them?

Leaving that aside, my favorite is Powerslave. It's just so powerful and I also really like the lyrics (which I usually don't care about). There are some classics on there such as Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Powerslave as well as some less known songs such as Flash of the Blade, The Duellists, and Back in the Village. There's also the great instrumental Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) and the 13 minute epic Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Wow, I just named every song on the album. It just shows how much I love it.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
22.12.2012 - 12:11
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
7th Son of a 7th Son for me. I love the conceptual direction the band takes here, it gives the songs a sense of unity and the songs themselves are particularly strong in their discography. The title track and the Prophecy are huge standouts for me especially.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
16.01.2013 - 13:36
Yossarian

2 votes for none of them????? I suppose it is a joke. In other times they used the "iron maidens" and other machines for blasphemies alike.
16.01.2013 - 20:35
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Another vote for Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
28.01.2013 - 02:02
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Somewhere In Time for me. Killers is a close second.
28.01.2013 - 06:32
Evil Chip

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I really don't care for any others except for some particular songs there and there.
03.02.2013 - 17:27
mojo

All of them. Number of the Beast gets an extra point for having Hallowed be Thy Name on it.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
28.03.2013 - 14:07
Metal_Elle

Powerslave, of course, followed by Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, followed also by The Number Of The Beast.