1 user:
Band: Incorporea
Album: Tongue Of The Moribund
Style: Black metal
Release date: June 2008

01. A Weird Cold From Nowhere
02. Cold Blades Of Abandonment
03. Mourner

Incorporea is a Spanish Black/Doom duo, formed two years ago. "Tongue Of The Moribund" is their first release, a three song strong demo slightly over the twenty minute mark. "Tongue Of The Moribund" follows the leaders of the genre with song titles such as "Cold Blades Of Abandonment" and "Mourner", the illegible logo with a couple of upside-down crosses and a desolate, grey and empty photo for cover art.

Following the often threaded path you can't really go wrong, but won't stand out either. And as such the musical offering of this demo is only really worth your time if you are a diehard underground Depressive Black metal lover. However, one mustn't forget this is but the first effort ever from a very young band, and from that light, the demo is suddenly quite a lot better. Because don't get me wrong, this is some good Burzum-worship. The riffs with the harsh distortion are very cold and lifeless, the acoustic interludes are well-executed and often nice to hear, and always retaining the 'cold'. The drums do what drums are supposed to do in this genre, which is basically keeping the pace and not much else. And finally the vocals, which are hollow and howling, with the occasional grunt. Again, nothing too spectacular but exactly what you'd expect for this genre.

As I said, this demo isn't groundbreaking or original. But it is a well-executed, cold piece of work. You can either regard it as a blatant rip-off or as a promise for the future. In both cases, you are right. If this genre is your thing, keep your eyes on this band. They have skill and if they go on for a couple of years and release an album or two, they might be able to pull something off of much higher quality.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 6

Written on 17.10.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 82 users
17.10.2008 - 15:53
iaberis
Advice Troll
The cover seems so mediteranean, nice one
----
Bitch! Please
18.10.2008 - 18:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Damn, their band pic looks... ridiculous.
20.10.2008 - 16:10
mantisce

It doesn't really matter about their "band pic". The music is whats really important.

Hits total: 4118 | This month: 6