03. We Are Magic
04. Angel
05. Eden Is Burning
06. Glorious And Divine
07. Born Upon The Cross
08. Keep The Flame Alive
09. Last Night On Earth
10. Revolution Renaissance

As a long-time fan of Stratovarius I had eagerly been anticipating this release. Assembling a strong and internationally renowned line-up, Timo Tolkki promised to continue what Stratovarius started, carrying the flame into a 'New Era'. Many fans, including myself, had feared something potentially below 2005's Stratovarius self-titled. Unfortunately this is what I personally found. While including some mildly satisfying tracks, the album is devoid of a concept or theme and the use of three different vocalists further complicates this division.

Perhaps the must unfortunate fault is that it actually sounds too much like Stratovarius. Even redeeming tracks like 'Heroes' have the habit of sounding like Visions era Strato'. 'I Did It My Way' continues in a very predictable fashion, much like the rest of this album. 'We Are Magic' could be taken in the same light. 'Angel' is a nice song, but nothing entirely original or special, sounding like a weak '1000 Rainy Nights'. 'Eden Is Burning' has an obvious thematic concept, and has a very similar song structure and feel to the classic 'Infinity'. The same could be said about 'Born Upon The Cross', sounding much like 'Infinity'. By this point of the CD I found myself caring very little. 'Glorious and Divine' has by far the strangest lyrics of the album. A couple of the track's melodies even sound exactly like songs from Elements Part I and II. 'Keep The Flame Alive' is a slow ballad appealing to the Stratovarius Legions. The folky aspect of this song works very well. 'Last Night On Earth' doesn't really flow too well after this, and is followed by the final and unfortunately cringe-worthy track 'Revolution Renaissance'.

New Era sounds like a weak, diluted and recycled version of Stratovarius, without a concept or reasoning. Even the guitar solos sound limited, with no technicality and of course, no Jens Johansson to bounce off on keyboards. It even sounds like Timo simply told the drummer to copy the feel and style of Jörg Michael. This album leaves the feeling that, unfortunately, Stratovarius has been done to death. Now all that is left is the release of the 'surviving' members of Stratovarius to see if this flame can finally rest in peace.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by Shadowcross | 23.10.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 109 users
26.10.2008 - 03:40
BORT

*sigh* i bought this album
26.10.2008 - 13:35
Rating: 9
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
This album is excellent with great voices, beautiful melodies and harmonies and with strong lyrics. Soul, harmony, light. 9/10 for me. (well, the recording is a bit weak)
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
30.10.2008 - 23:40
Rating: 9
Stratowarrior

Who did this review...totally wrong!!!! i don't think this guy is a Strato fan....if an album is like the Strato ones, then it is not new stuff but if it is with other musical directions then it sucks....This album kicks ass!!! period. 9/10 and you should hear the remakes of some of this songs and some strato ones on their website
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
11.12.2008 - 21:12
Rating: 8
Janne
Hugin
After the first listen I can surely say it's better then 5.9...
Maybe it is not a masterpiece but for a debut, not as bad!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
13.12.2008 - 16:50
FOOCK Nam

I like the song Keep The Flame Alive, by the way not bad album for me.
23.03.2009 - 17:53
Dominus
The Shooter
It is a good album but any more. 7 points for me.
31.03.2009 - 15:07
Rating: 4
Elio
Red Nightmare
Please tell me this doesn't even exist.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.04.2009 - 00:47
Rating: 5
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Elio on 31.03.2009 at 15:07

Yes, it does. They just released a new one too that apparently 'isn't as good as this'
Don't even know if I want to hear it
01.04.2009 - 16:02
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Shadowcross on 01.04.2009 at 00:47

Yes, it does. They just released a new one too that apparently 'isn't as good as this'

I did. And I think is slightly better.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.04.2009 - 10:05
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Elio on 01.04.2009 at 16:02

Ah okay i'll check it out sometime
02.04.2009 - 10:49
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Shadowcross on 02.04.2009 at 10:05

Written by Elio on 01.04.2009 at 16:02

Ah okay i'll check it out sometime

Still that doesn't mean it's good
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.04.2009 - 16:24
Xeros612

I will be getting this rather soon. I currently have the unreleased version of this album when Timo was still in Strato, and hearing the whole thing in fully worked out condition sounds good.
03.04.2009 - 03:02
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Xeros612 on 02.04.2009 at 16:24

I will be getting this rather soon. I currently have the unreleased version of this album when Timo was still in Strato, and hearing the whole thing in fully worked out condition sounds good.

I'd love to hear that, PM me if you can share it somehow
27.09.2010 - 16:57
MeTalRea|istiK

5.9 is offensive...7 is better..not like this album is the worst of the year!!
27.09.2010 - 17:39
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by MeTalRea|istiK on 27.09.2010 at 16:57

5.9 is offensive...7 is better..not like this album is the worst of the year!!

The year? This was a couple of years ago now..
I still feel the same way about this album. It is weak and diluted.
25.02.2011 - 17:58
Rating: 7
Sword_Chant

Stratovarius has been my favourite band for years. This release was OK, but there were too many singers and stopped the album flow. 'Heroes' is the best song and even thats not exactly great. I feel that what Matias is doing with Stratovarius is much better, the sound has been revived and creativity coming back. This was devoid of anything like that, too many slow songs and fillers. No instrumental chaos, where did all that go!?

I look back at RR and some stuff was good but compared to the Strato i'm sorry...this sucks donkey balls. I'll admit, me and other fans anticipated Tolkki far too highly and that left HUGE disappointment. His new band Symfonia looks to be the same too; it's like he's lost inspiration or something. Tolkki was always good at the fast memorable tracks, I think it's his 'style' that works for him. Middle/slow tempo songs always lack spark in the same way, does anyone else agree?! He should go back to that simple fast 'Speed of Light' style.. it's good.

Hits total: 4930 | This month: 7