Metal Storm logo
Who's your favourite philosopher?

Original post

Posted by belisarius, 29.10.2008 - 10:26
I think i'm not the only one who likes philosophy here, but i wonder what philosophers are the most popular in the metal scene. my personal favs are Nietzsche, Heidegger, Freud, Camus, and many others.
02.06.2012 - 14:25
Candlemass
Defaeco
Quine...even tho he left us Naturalists with much work
05.06.2012 - 02:38
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
Does anyone here know of the younger philosopher named Jason Silva? Here is a short video of him doing his thing. I strongly suggest you give this brilliant man a listen.
13.06.2012 - 14:08
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Socrates
20.06.2012 - 03:51
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.06.2012 at 02:38

Does anyone here know of the younger philosopher named Jason Silva? Here is a short video of him doing his thing. I strongly suggest you give this brilliant man a listen.

Holy shit, I am soooo faded right now and watching that really blew my mind!

Deep!
20.06.2012 - 10:55
Void Eater
Account deleted
Glen Benton.
21.06.2012 - 02:04
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.06.2012 at 10:55

Glen Benton.

He's more than a philosopher....a god?
12.07.2012 - 21:00
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Mooji
13.07.2012 - 17:17
axelx666

I love philosophy more then anything,
it's the basis for all religions.

my favorite is socrates. i know it sounds straightforward and common, but after reading plato's republic 2 times. you fully comprehend his thoughts.

my second favorite is karl marx: his vision is only flawed because of people are too selfish and greedy, he was a revolutionary, way ahead of his time.

the funny part is i never learned this in school, all on my own. just proves school is an institution for the weak minded.

saying i don't like philosophy is like saying a cow doesn't go moo.

people ask me my religion: i'll reply philosophy. (well truely im athiest but i think you get the gist)
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
19.07.2012 - 21:04
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
20.07.2012 - 17:23
helofloki

So transcension hypothesis is like, we're probably going to head to other dimensions before we head outside our solar system. Then if there are other forms of lie out there that beat us to it, that is probably where we would meet them. In a certain way it makes sense, considering how damn slow space travel is. In many ways this also works well with 'Biocentrism' (brief synopsis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biocentrism_%28cosmology%29 ), because if time and space are just reflections of life and consciousness, it seems ultra digital dimensional travel by consciousness would be more efficient than physical spaceship travel.

For more contemporary philosophers, one of my favorites is David Chalmers. His book 'The Conscious Mind', about the intractability of consciousness to our existence is absolutely incredible (though it does get technical at times, be prepared!). I read and reread it all the time finding great nuggets. It's basically a scientific theory on consciousness that assumes consciousness actually exists in a way that cannot be studied by physical science and yet remains obviously existing. In otherwords, consciousness is an irrefutable fact and yet cannot be observed. I know, kind of Cartesian, but it breathes such life into the subject.