Metal Storm logo
Gorgoroth - Gaahl 'Outs' Himself As Homosexual

Kristian 'Gaahl' Espedal, frontman of Norwegian Black Metallers Gorgoroth, has publicly stated his homosexuality, according to Blabbermouth sources.

33 year old Gaahl spoke openly in an interview with Götz Kühnemund of Rock Hard magazine about his sexual orientation, also adding "I feel how I feel and I've never made any secret about it", and "I've never really hidden anything to begin with. It's just that I was never in love before" ... "until last year".

Gaahl also mentions a stable line-up for his version of Gorgoroth, confirming that Frost (Satyricon, 1349) will perform on the next album.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Gorgoroth
Posted: 29.10.2008 by Richard

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 136   Visited by: 567 users
31.10.2008 - 10:41
Nerevarine

Hum..I'd say sexuality and religious beliefs aren't the same thing:you an choose yur religion, not your sexuality, you can 't force yourself to like men if you're an heterosexual and so on. But you can choose your religion. You can't blame people for something they can't have an influence on.
----
This Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Eons, Even Death May Die
31.10.2008 - 10:49
TheBigRossowski

Not always, some people make a choice (but either way, its unimportant).

Does the pope shit in the woods, sir?!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
31.10.2008 - 14:21
belisarius

Good for him, but i don't really care about his orientation. i like his music and that's enough. but i think he's an awsome example that not all gays are sissies.
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
31.10.2008 - 14:48
Manilla
Account deleted
Yeah.. I never really liked Gorgoroth that much.
31.10.2008 - 15:01
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Valentin B on 30.10.2008 at 10:03

Written by Stuart on 30.10.2008 at 01:29

Let's remember this is the same man who said that BM was going to change the world and there was a council of black metal bands and that at one of their meetings it was decided which bands would be chosen to change the world with their music. Gorgoroth are boring band with a clown for a frontman.

council of black metal bands... man, how can people still take this guy seriously after that is WAY BEYOND ME..

hahahahhahaahahah LMAO this band is going to change the world!!!

I wish I could find a link to the interview its funny stuff, I think it was in metal hammer about 4 or 5 years ago, although I could be wrong. if anyone else has a link to that interview, please post it.
31.10.2008 - 15:07
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I dont actually give a crap about his sexual preference....thats not the main thing here. What gets me so winded up is Gaahl's blatant hypocrisy. here he is "Mr Evil" in his fuckin cellar/dungeon trying his best to look as evil as possible hailing Satan as his inspiration to everything - very blackmetal I must say - And then him and his bum-chum decide to bring out a ladies clothing range and silly bright frocks. Oh and apparently the name of the range means "Happiness" in some old Norwegian dialect or whatever who cares.

But come on! This is the same fucker who despises that whole "fanbase" shit cozz hes too self absorbed about his freekin "evil" image and how even buying an album probably makes you a sellout. Yeah and here he is designing "happy frocks" to be sold commercially.

Cut the shit man...Gaahl is just a nancy-boy trying to be all fuckin brutal and once again just proves that his so-called "metal is a way of life" bullshit really is just another front to look all superior - when in the end hes just the bitch of some kid boyfriend.
31.10.2008 - 15:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by belisarius on 31.10.2008 at 14:21

but i think he's an awsome example that not all gays are sissies.

I waited to someone would say it. And I agree as well
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2008 - 15:41
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2008 at 21:48

Written by W-Lash on 30.10.2008 at 21:45

Calm down dude, let them talk. Censorship is bad....
In fact, nobody can let them like gays. And if they don't - why should say nice words about them?

SIgh... this has to do with common decency. And intolerance towards homosexuals has nothing to do with the so-called freedom of speech and all about hate spreading etc etc And when you read the MS rules you will notice we do not tolerate such shit, same applies for propgating neonazi ramblings.

Marcel, I understand your point in terms of blatant defamatory hate speech to a certain minority of society cannot be accepted (whether I agree or not is irrelevant), but in this case using generalizations to mock a certain individual and/or band is done throughout this website and throughout the metal community and the world at large. It is widely used in the BM scene to use "gay" in a negative context (I call it denial and its not something I personally do). Shall we stop people on this website calling Dani filth gay? because they're using it negatively and this is a generalization as being homosexual as something bad? That would be complete and utter censorship. I think that making light of someone's sexuality/religion/football team/nationality/music preference/philosophy is basic human nature and to simply state that it cannot be done is not practical, the point being where do you stop? eventually using the same logic people would only ever be allowed to say good things and nothing else at all.

Basically I'm saying to be defamatory to the homosexual community at large is not something which should be accepted, but to use a particular characteristic of a person in a negative context is perfectly OK, whether its their sexuality or the fact that they like Linkin Park. Well that's my opinion for all it matters. I don't like Gaahl or Gorgoroth I find them ridiculous and I may at times use his sexuality against him, but I like Judas Priest and Halford and wouldn't do that. This is simply human nature.
31.10.2008 - 15:49
Frankenchrist

Woah, didn't see that coming.
----
Blat Blat
31.10.2008 - 15:53
Stuart
MiseryKing
Hmmm, i think my post came across a bit harsh. I'd like to clarify that I have nothing against gay people or any other minorities as a rule.
31.10.2008 - 16:41
Sanvean

And what's the problem?
----
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo
31.10.2008 - 16:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
He is a gay ? thats his job, its not an unormal thing for him!
31.10.2008 - 16:52
a MasT

Written by Hrothdane on 31.10.2008 at 05:19

Written by a MasT on 31.10.2008 at 04:36

Written by Guest on 31.10.2008 at 00:29

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.10.2008 at 21:48

Written by W-Lash on 30.10.2008 at 21:45

Calm down dude, let them talk. Censorship is bad....
In fact, nobody can let them like gays. And if they don't - why should say nice words about them?

So what if they're was a type of music who openly insulted homosexuals? If the forum had a lot of fans of that genre we'd be free to say what we want about gays?

SIgh... this has to do with common decency. And intolerance towards homosexuals has nothing to do with the so-called freedom of speech and all about hate spreading etc etc And when you read the MS rules you will notice we do not tolerate such shit, same applies for propgating neonazi ramblings.

Strange, because theres apparently nothing wrong with bashing Christianity in this forum is there? If the shoe fits I suppose....

Fuckin here here, its a ridiculous double standard and if religion isn't off limits neither are faggots

If it bothers you so much, go make your own website. As Marcel was saying, this is a matter of propriety and respect and the rules do not allow for it. As for Christianity bashing, I think it would be ridiculous and illogical to not have some allowance for Christianity bashing on a forum with so many black metallers. You might as well ban anyone who listens to black metal then. I'm not saying that people should bash Christianity, but that is kind of a necessary evil to endure if you plan on including the black metal community.

So what if there was a genre of music that openly insulted homosexuals? If there were enough fans on the forum of that genre, could we say what we want about gays? Double Standard
31.10.2008 - 17:05
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by a MasT on 31.10.2008 at 16:52

So what if there was a genre of music that openly insulted homosexuals? If there were enough fans on the forum of that genre, could we say what we want about gays? Double Standard

There is a genre of metal that openly insults homosexuals, its called black metal.
31.10.2008 - 17:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Damn, Stuart put everyone in their place...
cleared things up very well. And now we see the paradox of Gaahl's existence in the black metal scene, kind of like Christians playing black metal.
I wonder if we are going to have to add "Symphonic" to his version's musical style...
31.10.2008 - 17:57
Judas
The Amputator
I pity the guy with whom Gaahl has found love. And I thought the stereotype was that homosexuals were better with things like makeup?

Seriously though, good on him for not hiding it. It takes guts to do something like that, and even more when you're part of a milieu with an ideology like that of Black Metal.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
02.11.2008 - 14:32
Framhel?

Written by TheBigRossowski on 30.10.2008 at 14:28

Written by Framhel? on 30.10.2008 at 13:21

Hmmmm that's sooo shocking hahaha beneath ghaal's dark exterior and weirdness and violent nature, he loves men? He likes men now??? ouch! for gorgoroth fans! LOLOLOLOLOLOL OLEOLEOLEOLE

Its really not that big of a deal. Its reasonable that some people would have these thoughts, but maybe you should do some criminal research. There are a lot of violent, sick, twisted people out there that had other sexual preferences. Ever heard of John Wayne Gacy my friend?

ah yeah i did back then i think that was kind of "tendencies" hehehe no offense i don't have any dislikes with gay people. some violent people are gay even through history there are a bunch of them. some during post war dudes violent, tortures, and beats the hell out of people but also had the taste for men even elmer fudd was gay!;D well, that's it!
----
--Rock Forever--
02.11.2008 - 18:59
Thryce
Retired Staff
Gaahl's ex-boyfriend claims to have received death threats from the Black Metal Community, read all about it here.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
02.11.2008 - 23:30
DoomGuard

Wow...that's pretty gay
03.11.2008 - 00:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@stuart I don't mind people making fun/mocking Gaahl but what I was talking about was a certain MS user using hate speech etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.11.2008 - 15:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
We don't allow Christianity-bashing either. Ok, it is a bit more 'normal' in this style of music, but we don't still just accept it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.11.2008 - 20:53
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 15:32

We don't allow Christianity-bashing either. Ok, it is a bit more 'normal' in this style of music, but we don't still just accept it.

ahh ok, i found the last two posts slightly contradicting... but maybe its just me... nevermind though, i don't want to piss off any staff
04.11.2008 - 23:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Stuart on 04.11.2008 at 20:53

ahh ok, i found the last two posts slightly contradicting... but maybe its just me... nevermind though, i don't want to piss off any staff

I don't see the contradiction. Believe it or not, the Staff does consist of normal people and yes we are capable of a discussion without banning the disagreeing party.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.11.2008 - 23:41
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Lucas on 04.11.2008 at 23:08

Written by Stuart on 04.11.2008 at 20:53

I don't see the contradiction. Believe it or not, the Staff does consist of normal people and yes we are capable of a discussion without banning the disagreeing party.

Haha, the problem with the internet is sarcasm doesn't always come across, i had no fear of banning... No i just meant that: the point i was making in my previous post was the fact that it wasn't so much what you're putting down/bashing but rather how you did it in order to allow free flowing accurate opinions in conversation. Marcel pointed out that this was not a problem but what he was alluding to was "hate speech" of particular post/ms user, you then stated that christianity bashing was also not accepted, which I found contradictory to the prior comment. I just find that saying "christianity bashing" is not allowed is an incredibly narrow outlook on a topic however, your idea of what bashing means and mine, might be different...
07.11.2008 - 21:27
NeverAgain

I like the way people have conviniently ignored Introspekriegs comment about how comparing Christianity to sexuality is wrong, as one is a choice and the other is something you are born with.

Some of the comments in this thread are disgusting. Comments like: "I hate gays", or "I don't mind gays as long as they dont bother me". Some people need to grow up and/or come out of the fucking closet.
15.11.2008 - 01:27
Symmachus

How the heck did this get as many comments as it did?
16.11.2008 - 07:58
Metalbound7

OMFG.... what really surprise me its not his homosexuality, is the fact that he said that he is In Love... Gaahl in LOVE, and with a guy WTF?
09.01.2009 - 13:01
Slayer666

Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2008 at 07:58

OMFG.... what really surprise me its not his homosexuality, is the fact that he said that he is In Love... Gaahl in LOVE, and with a guy WTF?

I don't think he is gay. It's just another trick for Gorgoroth to gain publicity. The holy rule is "There is no bad publicity".
09.01.2009 - 22:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Slayer666 on 09.01.2009 at 13:01

I don't think he is gay. It's just another trick for Gorgoroth to gain publicity. The holy rule is "There is no bad publicity".

Since he live in small Norvegian vialiage, I saw doc where som UK reporter interwiews him, he lives alone in mountain villiage and go werry werry werry rear outside and there was soem other guy in house so ...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2009 - 00:24
Slayer666

Written by Bad English on 09.01.2009 at 22:55

Written by Slayer666 on 09.01.2009 at 13:01

Since he live in small Norvegian vialiage, I saw doc where som UK reporter interwiews him, he lives alone in mountain villiage and go werry werry werry rear outside and there was soem other guy in house so ...

Awww, shit! OK, maybe that guy is in on the scam too, or he was there by some other bussines?

Hits total: 39121 | This month: 39