Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
30.07.2011 - 02:51
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I'm getting a VERY LITTLE BIT into doom because of Katatonia.
30.07.2011 - 03:07
JÄY
Metal slave
Death metal - vader, bolt thrower and bloodbath
30.07.2011 - 03:13
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Been going through a huge Thrash craze lately thanks to a lot of the newer acts like Toxic Holocaust and Municiple Waste.
30.07.2011 - 03:13
JCJen7
Oddly enough, been listening to a lot of grindcore/crust punk/crossover thrash about half the time, and the other time I have been listening to a lot of ambient/drone music. 2 sides of the spectrum i suppose.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
30.07.2011 - 05:00
ToMegaTherion
A bit of Symphonic and Prog... Thank Stream of Passion and Ayreon for that.
30.07.2011 - 08:08
king_matt
Death metal.
Bolt Thrower.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
30.07.2011 - 19:07
Xenosimian
As per usual, sticking with my tried and true staple of tech death. upheaval and origin are getting lots of air time. as for what started it, was beneath the massacre's evidence of inequity.
though i've been into a bit of post/doom metal. alaskan and old man gloom. old man gloom is what got me into that genre.
----
This body holding me, reminding me of my own mortality
We are eternal, this pain is just an illusion...
30.07.2011 - 19:56
Mattybu
I've been listening to a lot of hard rock/progressive rock lately. Started with Led Zeppelin and Rush, and even Rainbow is sort of hard rock/metal. It's good stuff.
31.07.2011 - 13:39
TheBigRossowski
As I just stated in the "hardest genre to get into" thread.... old prog stuff. Lately, I've been listening to more Camel, King Crimson, Yes and so on. I've always listened to bands who were influenced by such things, but just recently started getting REALLY into it. With the upcoming Opeth, I thought I'd dive more into the prog world.

Granted, I knew King Crimson from a skate video ("That's Life"). So, thanks to Opeth: Camel and Comus

...though I must say "First Utterance" was an acquired taste, but it's worth it. Crazy folk-prog!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.08.2011 - 15:04
Yavanna
Black Metal - DarkThrone
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
01.08.2011 - 15:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Pagan Melodic Metal thanks to Eluveitie , Arkona, Equilibrium and many more. Then Symphonic Metal and in bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Leaves eyes and Epica. Deathcore acts like Suicide Silence, Job for a Cowboy, Chelsea grin, Asking Alexandria. *fucking loving it*
12.08.2011 - 16:27
JD
Account deleted
NWOTM thanks to Vektor.
13.08.2011 - 02:04
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Black Metal thanks to Immortal and a few Emperor songs.
13.08.2011 - 11:07
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I'm into all genres really, but my fav is doom. Candlemass/My Dying Bride started it in 1993.
17.08.2011 - 00:27
strade
Progressive post-black/pagan, started by bands like Negura Bunget, Klabautamann, and Nokturnal Mortum.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
21.08.2011 - 18:05
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Folk Metal because of Windir, old Borknagar and Finntroll. Perfect genre.
21.08.2011 - 20:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I guess it's fair to say sludge because I've been listening to it a lot lately. Many many sludge albums on my list right now.

I think what started it was when I listened to Milk White Throat for the first time and kinda wondered what that cool sound was. That made me want to explore it and then I discovered sludge. Even though the original band that made me explore the genre is a lot more than that sound alone, it all started there. I'm glad it did.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.08.2011 - 21:33
edgethrasherx
Technical death: Death, Morbid Angel
And some melodic/prog death like children of bodom, in flames, opeth
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
29.08.2011 - 02:28
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Black Metal by later Immortal. But when I checked out Battles In The North, I didn't like it, and I lost interest.
29.08.2011 - 03:40
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Brutal Death Metal for me. I never hated it and liked some bands from it, i just had not heard a lot of it as i was still into other genres heaps. Now it is my most listened to genre i think along with Technical Death (i find these two genres very similar).
29.08.2011 - 03:45
Metal_4Ever
Progressive Metal, Folk Metal.
31.08.2011 - 16:56
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 29.08.2011 at 03:45

Progressive Metal, Folk Metal.

Try Tyr. They fuse prog with folk.
Prog + Folk = Epic Win !!!
31.08.2011 - 21:10
ColdRail
Avant-garde, it started with DSO, now i listen to Unexpect, Carnival in Coal, Arcturus and Mirrorthrone
02.09.2011 - 14:54
Pagan/Folk Metal. Started with Ensiferum and Bathory, went to Wolfchant, Finntroll, Nortland and Arkona.
19.11.2011 - 21:55
Been listening to a lot of folk metal recently, got a bit more into Skyclad and stumbled across Nifelvind by Finntroll, and i've started listening to a lot more Alestorm and Korpiklaani. I love the funness of it! makes me just wanna throw back some pints
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
21.11.2011 - 21:41
Oaken
Hipster
Atmospheric Black Metal started by Xasthur. Since then, I've discovered how awesome that subgenre is. I sometimes find it as good as even better than death metal (Used to be my favorite metal genre).
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
24.11.2011 - 06:47
Death Black the band Teitanblood, the album Seven Chalices. Hear one song of this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sgRs0JldjE
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
24.11.2011 - 16:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by DevouredByAbyss on 24.11.2011 at 06:47

Death Black the band Teitanblood, the album Seven Chalices. Hear one song of this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sgRs0JldjE

Great album. Btw if you like that then also check out Necros Christos
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2011 - 17:41
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2011 at 16:27

Written by DevouredByAbyss on 24.11.2011 at 06:47

Great album. Btw if you like that then also check out Necros Christos

Also I like Archgoat and Belphegor, but feel Necros Cristos music more slow (as having a little Doom influence), Doom like me (for example Reverend Bizarre and Type O Negative), but prefer more speed in Death Black, however, the voice of the vocalist is very brutal and the band sound in general is good. Thank you for your recommendation.
----
Lord of abyss, you are more powerful is thousand suns, you are more terrible a infinite deaths. I will see the heaven lit by burst; I will see the glory burn in infernal flames.

Rockers Go to Hell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GILx56cV8

The Emperor
25.11.2011 - 00:45
Pierre Tombale
Elite
Black Metal, mostly of a symphonic kind. The initial spark dates back to the game Brütal Legend and therein the captivating songs of Bishop Of Hexen and Tvangeste.
Lost interest for a while. however it was respawned by the band Chthonic a while ago.