Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
01.01.2012 - 17:27
Infernal Eternal

Although i like extreme metal i 've been really into power metal lately . It started with Hammerfall ...:banger:
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.01.2012 - 03:33
gav1230

Probably Death Metal, started with the band "Death".
03.01.2012 - 02:11
NLthrasher

I used to be in my thrash metal period, started by Kreator I guess, now I'm more into the Power/Heavy Metal mood and I think that was started by Avantasia and Evergrey.
06.01.2012 - 03:26
lordchadi

Symphonic metal

Therion & Haggard
07.01.2012 - 22:18
Zealot644

Metalcore. I hate it so, but there is some really good qualities to it if you know where to look.

It's a combination of bands that I have been listening to:
Oh, Sleeper -Children of Fire
The Human Abstract - Digital Veil
Unearth - Darkness in the Light
Becoming The Archetype - Celestial Completion
Times of Grace - Hymn of a Broken Man.
26.01.2013 - 02:14
squidrick420

Black metal for the past year and a half now. It started because even though ive been a metalhead for quite awhile, i never really gave BM a chance. It started with Dimmu, but that quickly evolved into the full spectrum of BM, especially when i found the 1st wave bands. As of now I have nearly 40 BM albums on all formats (except digital and 8 track of course), over 15 more then any other metal genre i have (i have a fuckload of punk).
26.01.2013 - 02:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Been into Post-rock/metal lately, mostly because I'm looking for songs/ideas to jam with my band.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.01.2013 - 19:58
Dinruth

Got into black metal recently .. I already owned the three latest Summoning albums, but indir's 1187 got me to dig deeper into the matter

also death/doom .. started with Swallow the Sun's "Emerald forest and the blackbird"
27.01.2013 - 07:15
Sulac

I've been listening to a lot of death (light stuff, not brutal or tech) these past couple days, Hypocrisy and Suidakra especially, Immolation, Hate, Yyrkoon. Even a little Kataklysm. This is all totally November's Doom's fault, listening to their latest couple albums a lot sparked the mood in me. Before that, The Foreshadowing and Saturnus kicked a long doom period, before that was some black metal (the fault of Rotting Christ). None of these are new albums or bands to me, just cyclical moods I find myself in when I'm choosing what to listen to.
27.01.2013 - 13:13
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Have been into melodic death metal for a long time by now. It all started when I heard Kalmah - Hades.

Also, lately I've learned to enjoy more progressive metal. It kinda started out with Insomnium (no, they are not a prog metal band, but they were the first ones I listened to that had these acoustic breaks), then I found Ne Obliviscaris. Wow, what a band
28.01.2013 - 14:29
Jtbmetal123

Death metal, Six Feet Under started it.
28.01.2013 - 14:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.01.2013 at 14:29

good thing you started with one of the crappiest death metal bands around. Now everything else will be awesome
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2013 - 14:47
Jtbmetal123

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.01.2013 at 14:41

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.01.2013 at 14:29

good thing you started with one of the crappiest death metal bands around. Now everything else will be awesome

I love Six Feet Under man, im considering on making them my favorite band. Dont get me wrong, I love all of death metal like, Death, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse and even the local scene. Chris Barnes has vocals that nobody can replicate.I like the slow death N roll sound.
28.01.2013 - 19:38
ajk70

Black Metal for the past couple years. Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger & Satyricon's Mother North were probably the main ones that got me digging. I just couldn't get over how raw and dark TH was/is. Still very much into those two bands.
30.01.2013 - 00:14
awol5943

Folk Metal, Eluveitie has sparked my interest
30.01.2013 - 21:18
Capt. Fluntas

Right now I'm in a death metal phase, not the first time just happened to remember Decapitated and then I decided to look for more bands and came across the brilliant Suffocation and the up-and-coming Nervecell
----
Life is one big meme.
05.02.2013 - 00:02
Patrick.

I've been kinda' onto getting into the Prog in later times. Ayreon pretty much opened the door for me. Afterwards, Seventh Wonder and Symphony X clicked. Fairly recently Circus Maximus finally after a long period of time also clicked. I have a "battle" going on with getting into Pagan's Mind, Dream Theater, Threshold and Vanden Plas among others. I find it very exciting!
09.02.2013 - 01:13
no one
Account deleted
Been listening to a lot of DSBM and bit of ambient/atmospheric black metal ,have only been getting into this stuff for about half a year. Started out with Xasthur and now more recently have been listening to bands like Hypothermia, Trist, Woods of desolation ,Nocturnal Depression and Make a change...Killyourself. And on the more atmospheric side band's like Lustre ,Paysage D'hiver and Vinterriket
12.02.2013 - 01:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well nowadays Im back in a Power / Heavy Metal phase yeah... Thanks to Helloween who started it back. so lately im pretty much listeing to stuff like
Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio / Rainbow, Alice Cooper, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Venom, Motorhead, Diamond Head, Saxon (...) you know the drill right ? lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.03.2013 - 00:24
skrog1

Technical Death Metal - Cannibal Corpse, I suppose started it but I've really been grooving on Nile a lot lately.

Also, Industrial - Ministry and NIN pioneered this genre. Great stuff.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 20:10
Capt. Fluntas

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:24

Technical Death Metal - Cannibal Corpse

They're not really considered tech death
----
Life is one big meme.
10.03.2013 - 22:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Capt. Fluntas on 10.03.2013 at 20:10

They're not really considered tech death

They're not considered tech death AT ALL by ANYBODY who actually understands the difference between regular death and tech death.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

10.03.2013 - 22:35
skrog1

I'll be honest, I really don't care for all of these sub-genres. Grindcore, tech-death, speed/thrash, etc...

It's all metal to me.
----

10.03.2013 - 22:37
skrog1

Http://heavymetal.about.com/od/bestmetalalbumsbyartist/tp/bestcannibalcorpsealbums.htm

Read posting #2.

Almost any current review/posting about CC considers them Tech-death. That's what I've read at least.
----

10.03.2013 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have to say I've never heard anyone consider them tech-death either.
13.03.2013 - 01:57
nasmith

Written by Infernal Eternal on 01.01.2012 at 17:27

Although i like extreme metal i 've been really into power metal lately . It started with Hammerfall ...

Hell yeah, they were one of the first bands that got me into metal in general.

But I've gone on slam death binges in the last few days. Bands like Devourment and Abnormity

I listen to all kinds of metal in binges/phases, as long as it's not overrated modern stuff. (Yes, I have found what I'd consider "true" metalcore, nu metal, and deathcore, even though I don't normally seek out good bands in those styles because the majority of them aren't my style.) But I'd have to say my favorite styles are heavy, thrash, doom, and death metal.
13.03.2013 - 04:52
helofloki

Spacey heavy stuff? Basically Intronaut and The Contortionist in alternation constantly. They aren't exactly similar styles, but they're both heavy as hell, yet have freakin fantastic spacey sections.
13.03.2013 - 08:50
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Death metal about two years, started with Decapitated and Benediction
14.03.2013 - 20:54
Jpageforever

I've been listening to power/folk metal lately. I suppose it started somewhere around Ensiferum...
16.03.2013 - 07:45
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Sludge metal and post/rock for about a year. I don't know where I started but I guess it was Abandon and Sigur Ros.