Metal Storm logo
Bass players

Original post

Posted by , 30.06.2006 - 16:14
Well, I just like to know who the bass players on this forum are, the bass is not to be underestimated ...
I play bass myself, pretty shitty gear actually .. I'm playing exactly one year right now.
An adonis four strings, and a Stagg 80W amplifier, it's just doable to play in a band
Monday I'm recording a demo
I love to play rock and metal (of course) Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name and Dream of Mirrors are heaven!

So .. What's your gear ? Favorite songs to play on the bass ? Band ?
15.02.2013 - 13:39
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Sunioj on 12.02.2013 at 11:50

hah i really suck with a pick though, i think its kinda of a tradeoff. i wouldn't expect alex webster to be as good with a pick or the dude from or Sharlee D'angelo to likewise to be as good with his fingers, though it would be good to have both. i also pick weird, i don't use a pick but clench my thumb and index finger together.

I think you can get pretty decent with both. I used to play finger bass and then I shifted to playing with a pick. With the new sludgy band I use my fingers and I ended up having blisters coz it had been like over 4 years since I had played finger bass live.
I enjoy playing bass with both though. Just depends on what kind of music I'm playing.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
15.02.2013 - 17:37
Sunioj

Written by Spirit Molecule on 15.02.2013 at 13:39

Written by Sunioj on 12.02.2013 at 11:50

hah i really suck with a pick though, i think its kinda of a tradeoff. i wouldn't expect alex webster to be as good with a pick or the dude from or Sharlee D'angelo to likewise to be as good with his fingers, though it would be good to have both. i also pick weird, i don't use a pick but clench my thumb and index finger together.

I think you can get pretty decent with both. I used to play finger bass and then I shifted to playing with a pick. With the new sludgy band I use my fingers and I ended up having blisters coz it had been like over 4 years since I had played finger bass live.
I enjoy playing bass with both though. Just depends on what kind of music I'm playing.

yeahh, i know what you mean about blisters live. it happened to me once or twice, but it was mainly because vocals and guitar were too loud and i had to play extra hard to get my sound through, this happened to me even playing fingers for years. lol some really nasty, brutal shit with skin peeling off and gathering dirt.
15.02.2013 - 17:48
Sunioj

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.02.2013 at 01:21

I started playing with a pick, but eventually stopped, now when i try to use it, it just gets knocked out of me hand.

I'm thinking about getting a stingray bass and then using my jackson for B tuning, but I'm not sure what colour. (probably a seafoam green or baby blue)

I'll probably buy a kit so I can paint it myself.

yeah! i had the same problem, but actually when i was picking it took me a long time to get used to it, i found using a more narrow pick to help.

dude... if you can afford, definitely get the stingray. its one of the best basses i've ever played. the feel, intonation and play ability was out of this world. do you know how to do the setup yourself for the standard b tuning?
15.02.2013 - 18:17
Malphas

I haven't had an opportunity to touch a Musicman bass yet, but a lot of people are saying they are the best brand for basses and i also see a ton of the world's elite using musicman, even Myung switched from his yamaha to a bongo...makes me wanna try one out

about the picking and the blisters...i had some serious problems with those when i started playing, it was hard to get used to the bass's thick strings but after about a week of practicing in pain and a few layers of skin got peeled off of my fingers, they became quite hard and now i feel almost nothing with the tips of my fingers (lol i guess that's not the best of things) at least i haven't had any blisters :S but yeah every technique just requires practice and you are right about Alex Webster for example who is one of the greats, can't play with a pick at all but on the other hand people like John "John Paul Jones" Baldwin, John Myung, Tony Levin, Flea and some more, are masters of any technique you can think of (yes, they also use a pick occasionally). So it all depends on how much spare time you have to practice each and every technique
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15.02.2013 - 18:58
Sunioj

Written by Malphas on 15.02.2013 at 18:17

I haven't had an opportunity to touch a Musicman bass yet, but a lot of people are saying they are the best brand for basses and i also see a ton of the world's elite using musicman, even Myung switched from his yamaha to a bongo...makes me wanna try one out

about the picking and the blisters...i had some serious problems with those when i started playing, it was hard to get used to the bass's thick strings but after about a week of practicing in pain and a few layers of skin got peeled off of my fingers, they became quite hard and now i feel almost nothing with the tips of my fingers (lol i guess that's not the best of things) at least i haven't had any blisters :S but yeah every technique just requires practice and you are right about Alex Webster for example who is one of the greats, can't play with a pick at all but on the other hand people like John "John Paul Jones" Baldwin, John Myung, Tony Levin, Flea and some more, are masters of any technique you can think of (yes, they also use a pick occasionally). So it all depends on how much spare time you have to practice each and every technique

yeah, thats definitely true. well, any store that is good enough to have a musicman in the first place will probably try to make sure its in good intonation, so if you see one, definitely give it a shot.

for sure, i'd really love to learn to do sweeps and advance my tapping skills but for me i've made the personal choice of almost completely focusing on my finger technique. it's just a matter of priorities and time management. other than bass i bought a classical guitar to keep at my brothers place in the city, but even that lol i still play with my fingers.

for some reason actually, i just don't get blisters anymore. i do have slight calouses, but otherwise its rather soft lol my cello teacher told me that to have a little fat on the fingertips is actually good for resonance. not sure if thats completely true but the thought is cool.
15.02.2013 - 20:22
Malphas

Lol good idea! everyone to McDonald's!!!
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
15.02.2013 - 22:35
Sunioj

Well thats a good reason to eat like a pig :p
27.03.2013 - 01:38
Malphas

Omfg Marcin Rygiel is selling his bass :S he played several shows with decapitated on tour last year, i was actually hoping he would join the band permanently again since he started playing again...and now this. I wonder why, he's so f-ing talented, it's a shame really
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
27.03.2013 - 09:49
Sunioj

Written by Malphas on 27.03.2013 at 01:38

Omfg Marcin Rygiel is selling his bass :S he played several shows with decapitated on tour last year, i was actually hoping he would join the band permanently again since he started playing again...and now this. I wonder why, he's so f-ing talented, it's a shame really

just hope whoever buys this, will give this piece of wood and wires the respect it deserves, for being the main axe of one of the world's greatest bassists ever

damn, i was wondering why its for sale in california, but i guess that he is studying there. i get it if he's too busy with life to play, but even that i would never sell my bass.

its a good looking bass though, i hope the snot nosed kid that buys it plays it well.
27.03.2013 - 14:55
Jtbmetal123

I play a Dean bass guitar. I play with a pick. I have a very small practice amp with a multi effects pedal. My gear isn't the best but the multi effects pedal helps out a lot with the sound.
27.03.2013 - 15:57
Malphas

These are the moments in life when i would sell my soul to the devil for 1000 dollars...or maybe i should get a 1000$ credit from a bank, it's basically the same thing hahaha
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
27.03.2013 - 22:43
Sunioj

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 27.03.2013 at 14:55

I play a Dean bass guitar. I play with a pick. I have a very small practice amp with a multi effects pedal. My gear isn't the best but the multi effects pedal helps out a lot with the sound.

im in the same boat, minus a pedal. i really want to get a multiple effects pedal though, what brand/model you have?

Written by Malphas on 27.03.2013 at 15:57

These are the moments in life when i would sell my soul to the devil for 1000 dollars...or maybe i should get a 1000$ credit from a bank, it's basically the same thing hahaha

haha, you could steal a car or sell some drugs. sure its not as cool as summoning satan and bartering with him, but hey... gotta start somewhere.
27.03.2013 - 23:40
Malphas

legitimate business ideas lol

about the pedals, i'm still not using any either but i had my eye on this one for quite a while now
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
28.03.2013 - 04:37
Jtbmetal123

Written by Sunioj on 27.03.2013 at 22:43

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 27.03.2013 at 14:55

im in the same boat, minus a pedal. i really want to get a multiple effects pedal though, what brand/model you have?

Written by Malphas on 27.03.2013 at 15:57

haha, you could steal a car or sell some drugs. sure its not as cool as summoning satan and bartering with him, but hey... gotta start somewhere.

It's a digitech bp 355 multi effects pedal for bass. It's really kickass.
28.03.2013 - 17:45
Sunioj

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 28.03.2013 at 04:37

It's a digitech bp 355 multi effects pedal for bass. It's really kickass.

hows it with the tone? im assuming that since you like it, it doesn't cut out the tone of the low end.
28.03.2013 - 17:50
Jtbmetal123

No, it actually works great with tone. It doesn't cut off ever unless your cord is broke or something but no. Look it up on YouTube. It's awesome!!!
29.03.2013 - 04:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I have a fuzz for my Guitar, and it's alright on my bass, but itn sounds pretty thin. Probably going to pick up another, bass fuzz.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.03.2013 - 14:05
Sunioj

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.03.2013 at 04:56

I have a fuzz for my Guitar, and it's alright on my bass, but itn sounds pretty thin. Probably going to pick up another, bass fuzz.

Yeah, thats the problem with non bass pedals. They will sound ok on their own but it won't cut through a band setting at all.

I had a Boss ODB3 for a while which was pretty decent and some sort of MXR pedal which was much better.
29.03.2013 - 23:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I have a 40 watt, that's big enough for bar gigs, but I'm probably going to sell it and use the money towards a cab. Idk. I play in a punk band now, and I'm looking for a P or J bass to have for gigs. I don't want to rough up my jackson (especially because of the set neck).

Looking at some used squier's online. Figure I can pick one up for $100ish.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.03.2013 - 23:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.03.2013 - 01:19
Sunioj

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.03.2013 at 23:20

I have a 40 watt, that's big enough for bar gigs, but I'm probably going to sell it and use the money towards a cab. Idk. I play in a punk band now, and I'm looking for a P or J bass to have for gigs. I don't want to rough up my jackson (especially because of the set neck).

For sure, effects and other nice things are good but saving up for proper amplification is the one thing you cannot play shows without. That's one thing I miss about the states (not sure how it is in Canada), there's always great deals on gear. The ampeg cabinet and stack that I'm thinking of eventually buying here is about 3,000 dollars (410 with a svt 7 pro head).

Price is not bad.
30.03.2013 - 02:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Sunioj on 30.03.2013 at 01:19

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.03.2013 at 23:20

For sure, effects and other nice things are good but saving up for proper amplification is the one thing you cannot play shows without. That's one thing I miss about the states (not sure how it is in Canada), there's always great deals on gear. The ampeg cabinet and stack that I'm thinking of eventually buying here is about 3,000 dollars (410 with a svt 7 pro head).

Price is not bad.

I buy stuff in the states anyway, as I live really close to the border. I'm looking to find old Sunn Cabs. There was one 3 hours away for $400, but by the time I called, it was gone
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.03.2013 - 10:05
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I upgraded my B3K to a B7K, and it's brilliant. I love the spectrum of OD tones you can get out of it. Going to try and record some shit tomorrow.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
30.03.2013 - 17:07
Sunioj

@Boxcar Willy

forgot to add: 40 w can work if the drummer and guitarst isn't playing brutal :p though, I do remember jamming with a full band a few times and surprisingly it cut through given the great acoustics of the place. In fact, once our vocalist didn't have amplification so the band asked me to give her a mic hooked up to my 40 w practice amp, weird enough it actually cut through. some 40w's can also get really loud.

i'm a big ignorant with Sunn cabs but what do you like about them? i heard from someone its a bit heavy, weight wise.

@Spirit Molecule
Nice man, good luck.
30.03.2013 - 22:29
Malphas

Any small practice amp, including 40w can cut through if the others aren't too loud, but the main thing in that case is the eq setting, the best way to go if you wanna be heard with bad/weak gear is to significantly boost your mid frequencies
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
31.03.2013 - 00:34
Sunioj

I used to scoop but now i mainly use mids when I'm playing. I use 3/4 on the lows, 1/2 on mids and a slight slight deviation on the treble. I go for a low end punch with slight warmth for intonation and the treble for the percussive twang for the attack.
31.03.2013 - 01:39
Malphas

I use a very similar setting but for practicing i use mainly mids and highs cuz it's easier to notice mistakes and sort them out that way
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
31.03.2013 - 12:13
Sunioj

That makes sense, but I'm weird and I practice all my scales without being plugged :p i find that it builds my strength better.
31.03.2013 - 18:20
Malphas

That's actually not a bad idea, what i do for strength and speed though is practice with a normal rubber band (example) wrapped around my fingers, not too tightly so that the blood can flow normally through the fingers, but not too loose either, so that the movement of the fingers is difficult
----
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
31.03.2013 - 19:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Malphas on 30.03.2013 at 22:29

Any small practice amp, including 40w can cut through if the others aren't too loud, but the main thing in that case is the eq setting, the best way to go if you wanna be heard with bad/weak gear is to significantly boost your mid frequencies

I've played with the 40 in a house-setting. I had it on 6 with lows to 10, mids to 8 and highs to 6. It cut through great.

I miss band-life. I just started a hardcore punk band, so hopefully we'll get together and get some gigs planned.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS