Album: The Corpse Of Rebirth
Style: Atmospheric black metal
Release date: January 2008

01. God
02. Female
03. Male
04. Earth And Matter
05. Microcosm

A Forest Of Stars is not your average run-of-the-mill Black metal band. Coming from the UK, they have that typical British attitude with them of class, high-tea, bowler hats and walking-canes. Ok, that's probably stereotyping and generalizing too much, but if I'd have to give it a place in history I'd place it in the nineteenth century, in a scene similar to that described in for example "The Picture Of Dorian Gray", by Oscar Wilde. Take that and morph it into Black metal and you'll probably get A Forest Of Stars.

Mister Curse (vocals), Katheryne, Queen of the Ghosts (violin, flute and vocals), The Gentleman (synths, pianoforte and drums) and Mr T.S. Kettleburner (guitars, bass, vocals), as they call themselves, have crafted a fine piece of not-so-ordinary Black metal. "The Corpse Of Rebirth", their first full-length, is chockfull with top-notch, sophisticated music. The violin dominates the mood with its sad, weeping sound while the howling and despaired vocals give the sound an extra melancholic touch. That's not where it stops though, not at all. During the song "Female" they do not sound melancholic at all, but instead evoke a very evil and malicious atmosphere and in the song "Earth And Matter" the drums suddenly become the main focus of the sound and the mood shifts to a ritualistic and entrancing ambience. The last song, "Microcosm", is just plain beautiful. These are the strengths of this album, the experimental approach combined with great songwriting, enhanced by a good production.

As for references, it is impossible to pinpoint it down to one or two bands, as it definitely has its own sound and it wouldn't surprise me if the members rarely listen to Black metal themselves. Fans of Deinonychus, Bethlehem and the Peaceville Death/Doom trio will probably like this. As will everyone that likes his Black metal the experimentation/Avant-garde way. Do keep in mind the sound has a heavy violin-focus, if that instrument puts you off you may want to look somewhere else.

All in all "The Corpse Of Rebirth" contains five tracks which together span over an hour, a very extensive and detailed booklet (so I'm told, I only have the promo copy unfortunately), great Black metal with unique and interesting twists: sounds like one hell of a deal to me.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 03.11.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 334 users
03.11.2008 - 15:21
FOOCK Nam
Sound interesting with violin, flutes adding to the music. Im interested in these instruments but just witnessed not so many bands using it in black metal.
03.11.2008 - 15:30
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
You should definitely check it out
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2008 - 16:17
annodomini
BRILLIANT :O in some ways in reminds me some folk of american, blues or something... So unexpectible music. Stuning beuty.
----
the riddle wants to be...
03.11.2008 - 16:36
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
"During the song "Female" they do not sound melancholic at all, but instead evoke a very evil and malicious atmosphere"
good, women are evil and malicious after all!

but i think this BM might be interesting for me as well, i'll try to get my hands on it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
03.11.2008 - 16:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Wow, never expected this band to be so, well, popular i guess. 3 comments in one day is a new record for my reviews, lol
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.11.2008 - 16:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I read that this was limited to 100 copies.... FUCK

This music is exactly what I was waiting for so much time... Metal that it's actually elegant.

Awesome music, really glad to hear it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2008 - 17:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.11.2008 at 16:39

This music is exactly what I was waiting for so much time... Metal that it's actually elegant.

It is re-released on tape (300) and in digipack (Canadian label - http://transcendentalcreations.com/)
----

03.11.2008 - 17:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 03.11.2008 at 17:01

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.11.2008 at 16:39

It is re-released on tape (300) and in digipack (Canadian label - http://transcendentalcreations.com/)

Oooohhh man, thanks a lot. 12.... dollars? euros? what?
How much will the freight btw?

And now that I'm hearing it... it's kinda sick at times... the vocals are crazy. They remains me a little [very little] of Shining mixed with Lifelover... but maybe I'm just deaf.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2008 - 17:11
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Great album, the song titles are a bit pretentious though But so is the music and I love it, especially the first song. This definitely belongs to my favourites from 2008.
I would praise it even more but don't know how, I'm really shitty in describing music.
03.11.2008 - 17:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.11.2008 at 17:07

Oooohhh man, thanks a lot. 12.... dollars? euros? what?
How much will the freight btw?

Send them an e-mail.

Quote:
And now that I'm hearing it... it's kinda sick at times... the vocals are crazy. They remains me a little [very little] of Shining mixed with Lifelover... but maybe I'm just deaf.

I heard some Shining too, but mostly Deinonychus/Bethlehem.
----

03.11.2008 - 17:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Lucas on 03.11.2008 at 17:12

I heard some Shining too, but mostly Deinonychus/Bethlehem.

Aaaah, yeah... Bethlehem.. that was the name I was searching for. But somehow I could only think about Shining
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2008 - 20:18
Inlé
This is a great album, listened to it several times in the last few months.

You can definitely see why this band are getting (deserved) attention.
03.11.2008 - 21:06
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Sounds interesting. The cover at first looks like a mug of beer or something of that nature
----
Coldgrits
04.11.2008 - 19:33
TheBigRossowski
Great review man! Looks like you definitely got people checking out the album! I've spun that thing so many times now, I couldn't even count the times any more. Another album that it's easier to pick the least good song than the best song (that song being 'Male').

I have a different cover on my album though, was this the first release or what?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.11.2008 - 20:40
Rating: 10
Frija
Great album, one of my favorites. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes music on the more obscure side.
04.11.2008 - 20:49
enumaelis
But... 9/10 in production? I'm listening to it right now.. and it's too high rate, I think
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
04.11.2008 - 23:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by TheBigRossowski on 04.11.2008 at 19:33

I have a different cover on my album though, was this the first release or what?

This is the version on the re-relase. You probably have the re-release by Trancendal Creations (or the other way around).
----

04.11.2008 - 23:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by enumaelis on 04.11.2008 at 20:49

But... 9/10 in production? I'm listening to it right now.. and it's too high rate, I think

If I were a prog reviewer, i would rate production according to crystal clearness. But I'm not, I review Black metal and other sick stuff and so a dirtier, rawer production usually gets high ratings from me (if it matches the music/atmosphere).

I found this production very fitting and great sounding, and also a lot better than what I'm used to. So on one side, yes I do think this production is worth a 9, but on the other side, i might not be used to better (and neither is the black metal audience).
----

05.11.2008 - 22:06
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I agree. Production is very good on this album. Black Metal bands very often try to create some kind of an atmosphere. So I do think they succeeded. As far as the songwriting, I really liked the first track. It was the one that really caught my attention (after the first listen). And it also reminded me of Drudkh a little. I think that originality is bit overrated though. However, I am not ready to grade this album yet. I also think that the title is weird unless there is some concept behind it (I haven't read the lyrics).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.11.2008 - 16:08
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Very intriguing album. A great discovery for sure.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
12.12.2008 - 20:28
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Im listening to "Female" on their website and for some reason it sounds like Devil Doll went Black Metal....

Very interesting band, Ill try to get a hold of the entire album
----
20.12.2008 - 08:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Can somebody tell me why the cover of the album has changed when it's viewed in the band's discography?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
20.12.2008 - 13:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 20.12.2008 at 08:04

Can somebody tell me why the cover of the album has changed when it's viewed in the band's discography?

Yeah, I got the new cover art from the label (the old one wasn't it apparently). Changed it on the albums page and thought it would also change here, but apparently it didn't. So I changed it manually. You should see the new one now, if not, alt+ f5 (cache refresh).
----

20.12.2008 - 21:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by 4look4rd on 12.12.2008 at 20:28

Im listening to "Female" on their website and for some reason it sounds like Devil Doll went Black Metal....

Very interesting band, Ill try to get a hold of the entire album

Jajaja... Thanks.. Now I know that I'm not insane!
I thought the same thing. It's not the same sound and genre at all. But the atmospheres "a la 19th century" are similar.
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.01.2009 - 00:52
This is such an amazing album. One of the best ones to come out of 08.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
20.03.2009 - 13:29
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Niced album, nothing more. Maybe I'll change my mind after many more listens
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.04.2009 - 18:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Quote:
Fans of Deinonychus, Bethlehem and the Peaceville Death/Doom trio will probably like this

yes Im absolutely agree with you, and I have to say that this is a very nice album. good work for their first album and I think they cant release somthin like this again. its very unique. their first track is unbelievalby nice with a arabic theme. I can hear an instrument which is like "Daf", I dont know what you call it. its very unique and it reminds me near by south of Iran's folk music. its like a circle but I dont know if its the exact instrument over here or not.
but I have to say that the artwork sux for sure. 0 for it.
30.04.2009 - 19:51
Rating: 7
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I always find myself listening to the second half of God. That riffing combined with the vocals is just killer. This band needs more recognition (although that is perhaps their fault...)
----
Brujerizmo!
31.03.2010 - 04:33
Italics
The songs are pretty interesting until the "vocalist" comes in. I mean, I've heard some interesting black metal "singing" before... but man, this guys cracking, pre-pubescent vocals take cheesy to a whole new level. Neat music, though.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
31.05.2011 - 10:51
lord artan
Great album...i love it

Hits total: 11547 | This month: 18