Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Vocalist Leaves Stage In Belo Horizonte (UPDATED)

Original news, posted on 12.11.2008

Nightwish were forced to cut Monday night's (November 10) concert in Belo Horizone, Brazil short after the group's lead singer Anette Olzon suddenly started "crying" at the end of the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" (about six tracks into the group's set) and walked off stage, leaving the rest of the band to finish the song with bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala attempting to handle some of the lead-vocal parts. The group reportedly played two more cover songs and ended the show, explaining that Anette is going through a difficult phase in her life, and that she was really sad.

Fan-filmed video footage of Olzon walking off can be viewed here and here.

But, in the meantime, Anette Olzon sent a press release to Brazilian media where she clearified the reasons behind her sudden "collapse" which caused her to leave the stage in the middle of the Nightwish show in Belo Horizonte, Brazil on November 10th 2008.

Olzon stated that the smoke on stage got on her vocal chords to make her lose her voice. She was trying to sing until she reached the point she couldn't do it anymore and therefore was "forced" to leave the stage.

Nightwish has always had a very good and close relation to their fans in Brazil and the thought of disappointing the fans was too great for Anette. The band tried to buy some time for Anette to regain her voice back but it didn't. Nightwish ended up playing 2 more songs after Anette left the stage but were forced to stop the show after that.

After the show, people stayed in the venue to get some kind of explanation to what happened. After a while, promoter Eric de Haas from Dynamo Productions came on stage to tell the fans that the concert was over and Nightwish was already back on their hotel.

It is reported that the next show Nightwish did the next day in the capital of Brazil (Brasilia) went well and the band also included the song "The Poet And The Pendulum" on their setlist.

UPDATED

As posted on Blabbermouth, Nightwish mainman/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen said the following, speaking to webzine O Povo Online about the incident: "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

Tarja Turunen got fired from Nightwish in October 2005. In May 2007, the band officially announced the addition of their new vocalist, Anette Olzon.

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.11.2008 by Lupas

Comments page 5 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 125   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 762 users
26.11.2008 - 15:03
nehrodwarf

It happens!

I really didn't think that annette it's better or equal than tarja, maybe would be different styles. But anymway, was sad what happen w/ annete. no one singer deserves it, was tragic.

Ok anette, if you're reading this I hope that you be cured and good luck!
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
03.08.2009 - 22:24
Westvann

I fell sorry for anette... its a tuff job to take over for a great singer as tarja. to hear hear name at gigs.. if you are a fan of NW you most accsept that tarja is no more a part of nightwish.. and if they cant deal with it.... find a a another band
04.08.2009 - 10:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Yes, this is it...but still there are morons who cant accept this and calling for Tarja
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.11.2009 - 01:29
SatyriconChick

That's horrible. I do like Nightwish better with Tarja, but people need to move on and accept that she's gone and Anette is now part of the band (and has been for the past 2 years!).
19.12.2009 - 22:31
Fierce Deity

Insults? lol. I was there an there was only ONE group with no more than 10 "people" doing so. 10 - and 3000 enjoying the show. If that's enough to cause such troubles to her, maybe she's not really ready? Or maybe (and I believe that) this wasn't the real reason...
----

Hits total: 26008 | This month: 28