Metal Storm logo
Progressive Music

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 08:35
So yeah, progressive music. I figured if anyone was going to get things back in business on MS and make the place not seem like a ghost yard anymore it would the guy with no life...

So anyway, progressive music...long drawn out compositions, conceptual continuity, odd time signatures, virtuosity...I dunno really...anyone wanna come on here and generally talk about progressive music, here you go...welcome back...
26.08.2009 - 20:17
RockeRoy

Written by MeloDeathViking on 26.08.2009 at 20:10

Written by RockeRoy on 26.08.2009 at 20:07

Written by MeloDeathViking on 26.08.2009 at 17:36

Can anyone recommend me a good progressive metal album that has some aggression to it, and/or some great time signature work? I've been listening to Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and me a lot and I'm intrested in finding some other bands that can blow my mind like that. As a starter point, I already listen to Opeth, so please no Opeth recommendations.

Have you heard anything from a Dutch band called Textures, if not i can highly recommend them, alot of polyrythmic and odd timesignatures, plenty of agression, and they are catchy ass hell!

I've heard that Drawing Circles is really good, so I might get that. I just read about a band called Contol Denied, so I think I might give them a try as well, saw a their cd for like $5. So if by the end of the day I haven't heard anything else I like, I think it's gonna be Textures, Control Denied, and maybe Redemption.

Drawing circles are amaizing, their new album silhouettes is also amaizing... actually their first album Polars is amaizing to:) Control denied is great, it's a sideproject from Chuck Schuldiner from Death if you didn't know, it's like an progressive powermetal version of Death or something like that, but i would rather recommend Death if you haven't heard them?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.08.2009 - 20:30
MeloDeathViking

Written by RockeRoy on 26.08.2009 at 20:17

Written by MeloDeathViking on 26.08.2009 at 20:10

Written by RockeRoy on 26.08.2009 at 20:07

Written by MeloDeathViking on 26.08.2009 at 17:36

Can anyone recommend me a good progressive metal album that has some aggression to it, and/or some great time signature work? I've been listening to Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and me a lot and I'm intrested in finding some other bands that can blow my mind like that. As a starter point, I already listen to Opeth, so please no Opeth recommendations.

Have you heard anything from a Dutch band called Textures, if not i can highly recommend them, alot of polyrythmic and odd timesignatures, plenty of agression, and they are catchy ass hell!

I've heard that Drawing Circles is really good, so I might get that. I just read about a band called Contol Denied, so I think I might give them a try as well, saw a their cd for like $5. So if by the end of the day I haven't heard anything else I like, I think it's gonna be Textures, Control Denied, and maybe Redemption.

Drawing circles are amaizing, their new album silhouettes is also amaizing... actually their first album Polars is amaizing to:) Control denied is great, it's a sideproject from Chuck Schuldiner from Death if you didn't know, it's like an progressive powermetal version of Death or something like that, but i would rather recommend Death if you haven't heard them?

I loved The Sound of Perseverance from Death, and as Elio said, sounds like it would be a good fit for me then.

@Elio: According to their page, they have another album planned for this year http://metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=34270&band_id=2429&bandname=Control+Denied
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
26.08.2009 - 20:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Yeah I know that and actually that album is in my wishlist
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.08.2009 - 21:44
MeloDeathViking

So after careful consideration, I have decided to order the following albums:

Control Denied - Fragile Art of Existence
Textures - Drawing Circles
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver

I listened to samples of Dark Deceiver and almost shit my pants with excitement, so I said I had to get it.
----
27.08.2009 - 00:47
RockeRoy

Three amaizing albums right there:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
27.08.2009 - 05:29
Zuzuz0r

Have anyone heard Indukti?, they are great, right now they have 2 albums, I haven't listened the new yet, but I guess I'll do it, they are mostly instrumental and Mariusz Duda from Riverside did some vocals on few songs.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
27.08.2009 - 13:22
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by MeloDeathViking on 26.08.2009 at 21:44

So after careful consideration, I have decided to order the following albums:

Control Denied - Fragile Art of Existence
Textures - Drawing Circles
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver

I listened to samples of Dark Deceiver and almost shit my pants with excitement, so I said I had to get it.
lol... I intend to listen to these three very soon as well XD
----
loves 小巫
28.08.2009 - 04:58
MeloDeathViking

Written by Elio on 26.08.2009 at 18:39

Try In Mourning, their debut is one of last year's best metal albums.

Elio, they have a video of them rehersing a new song on their website, if you havent seen it you should check it out. It's pretty good from what you can hear.
----