Metal Storm logo
Restrictions on the Metal Arena

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 18.11.2008 - 04:19
Currently there are 400 threads in the Metal Arena, and a large number of them seem rather asinine. The Arena used to be a place to debate aspects of bands, musicians, albums and songs but now it just seems to be a dumping ground for the most inane topics. It really appears to be two camps that are clogging up the thread, unnecessary topics and poorly written topics.

With the unnecessary topics I am talking about the overused concepts here. There are currently 14 topics about Metallica alone! Do we really need 14 different discussion about James Hetfield and the Metallicas? Then there are the overly repetitive threads about guitarists, drummers, vocalists, etc. Let us not forget the threads like "Machine head vs trivium vs dragonforce vs arch enemy vs shadows fall". Really? Really? That is a necessary topic?

The other side is the threads that do seem to have a legitimate premises to them but are just lacking in decent information or choices. For example I just read the "Best Overall Drummer" thread. OK, this could be a good topic, but the designer of the thread obviously doesn't know much about drumming or drummers. I by no means direct this as an insult, but corrective and encouraging criticism. On said poll we are given choices like 'Lars Ulrich' and 'Chris Adler'. Anyone who knows drumming knows that neither of these two should even be considered. Mr. Ulrich is a decent drummer at best. If one is going to be making a thread about a topic, it should be filled with legitimate choices. Where are drummers like Mike Portnoy (and no I am not saying this as a Ytse Jammer, but as someone who can see him as the man who drums for Dream Theater as well as Neal Morse and OSI) or Neal Peart or Ed Warby. This is only one example of the somewhat uneducated choices we are given through out the forum.

On top of that, the vast majority of times the thread creator does not give good reasons (or any reasons at all!) for why the choices are there. Sure, we might not need reasons when being asked what our favorite Iron Maiden album is, but maybe a little description of the albums would ad some credibility to the thread.

Well that is enough rambling from me. Am I alone in these feelings or do others agree with part or all of what I am stating here?
23.12.2008 - 04:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I know that THE_BLACK_GOD was a complete dick when he was all like 'what the fuck...this is so stupid...this ridicuolous thing against that stupid thing? Why are you wasting your time making a thread about this?' and was literally crucified for it but he did have a point...there have been so many assinine threads being created in the Metal Arena and I know that some newer members have been chastised over the last little while about it...so yeah, restrictions are a great thing to avoid spamming, repetition, redundancy, and whatnot...
03.03.2009 - 18:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I am just curious as to what the status of the solution for this problem is. Would someone please let us know?
----
(space for rent)
04.03.2009 - 06:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Dane Train on 03.03.2009 at 18:19

I am just curious as to what the status of the solution for this problem is. Would someone please let us know?

I couldn't tell you a definite status (obviously because I'm not staff), but I have been noticing improvement. I've noticed Lucas has been going top gun on most of those silly "Choose Between My Favs" polls and the ones that don't provoke any discussion but rather just become a place to get your post count up another notch.

....Ok, maybe not quite as intense without the Kenny Loggins.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.03.2009 - 08:07
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
The only real working solution is just for the staff to crack down more on bad and redundant topics. Maybe stricter wording rules.
----
Coldgrits
04.03.2009 - 08:15
Vationleg

Written by -DC-002- on 04.03.2009 at 08:07

The only real working solution is just for the staff to crack down more on bad and redundant topics. Maybe stricter wording rules.

Lol
Aye, scare off all the dafty's yeh?
Besides, 98% of posts on metalstorm are/is dedundant drivle in the first place.

(And to the autistic dim-witted gutterpunk cunt below me who cracked the all-too-original "lolz, 98%? you must post alot lolz" F.O.A.D you cat wanking fuck, your not funny and you deserve a slow one.)
04.03.2009 - 09:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Vationleg on 04.03.2009 at 08:15

Lol

(And to the autistic dim-witted gutterpunk cunt below me who cracked the all-too-original "lolz, 98%? you must post alot lolz" F.O.A.D you cat wanking fuck, your not funny and you deserve a slow one.)

Actually I'm more curious as to why you're here? Or why you're bothering with the forum? Judging by some recent posts you really don't seem to like this website anyways.
----
- George Carlin
04.03.2009 - 10:03
Vationleg

Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2009 at 09:39

Written by Vationleg on 04.03.2009 at 08:15

Lol

Actually I'm more curious as to why you're here? Or why you're bothering with the forum? Judging by some recent posts you really don't seem to like this website anyways.

Boredom gets the best of me when I'm..... Well, bored.
Perhaps someone should implement a boredom ban eh? Ban the fuckers who pop in now and again because they'v not much else to do?
I know you people like to keep it "SrrzzBzznnz" all the time around here, but not everyone in the world is so high off their own self-importance they can't stop and take the piss out of all the other sad-saps who work their 9-5 then waste the rest of their time discussing the shitty kittiecore cuntrock pish that gets them hard on some mainstream forum.

^I suppose I'll get banned for THAT eh?
Suggesting moderators just fucking delete any post that isn't articulated in such a way it makes the reader spunk their trousers is a shite way to kill negativity in any forum community, I say if it's not inappropriate, let it stand.
The dullards who choose to expose their inability to express an opinion will more than likely fuck off anyway, without sounding big-headed I'll now go post in some other section of the forum and flaunt my well-thought out idea's with unsuspecting mallcore kid's who'r too busy trying to calm down after getting their first Tyr album in the mail to properly defend their favored artists in one of the threads located about the so called "extreme metal" forum...

04.03.2009 - 10:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Vationleg on 04.03.2009 at 10:03

Boredom gets the best of me when I'm..... Well, bored.
Perhaps someone should implement a boredom ban eh? Ban the fuckers who pop in now and again because they'v not much else to do?
I know you people like to keep it "SrrzzBzznnz" all the time around here, but not everyone in the world is so high off their own self-importance they can't stop and take the piss out of all the other sad-saps who work their 9-5 then waste the rest of their time discussing the shitty kittiecore cuntrock pish that gets them hard on some mainstream forum.

^I suppose I'll get banned for THAT eh?
Suggesting moderators just fucking delete any post that isn't articulated in such a way it makes the reader spunk their trousers is a shite way to kill negativity in any forum community, I say if it's not inappropriate, let it stand.
The dullards who choose to expose their inability to express an opinion will more than likely fuck off anyway, without sounding big-headed I'll now go post in some other section of the forum and flaunt my well-thought out idea's with unsuspecting mallcore kid's who'r too busy trying to calm down after getting their first Tyr album in the mail to properly defend their favored artists in one of the threads located about the so called "extreme metal" forum...

Ok. Well I must disagree on a few things. First of all, its a Tuesday evening, most people save their quality fun time for the weekends, God forbid we spend a few hours on a weekday after dinner discussing something that interests us. Unfortunately the divided forums into "extreme" and "melodic" seem to encompass entire genres rather than individual bands in a lot of cases, which I admit can be displeasing especially when it comes to fairly ambiguous sub genres such as thrash, which is put under extreme, despite many thrash bands being very melodic.

Also, I think you're missing the reason why people like you all eventually get banned. It's where your negativity is being directed, and how well it is explained. Post all the negativity you like, but you're likely to get banned very quickly if A) You are not intelligent enough to explain any of your posts, thus spamming, and B) You make a direct insult to the people themselves. Hey! You seem to fill out all the qualifications!

Also, as far as this being a "mainstream" forum, that can really be changed by you if you stick around long enough to perhaps open a thread, promote certain bands so you have people to discuss with? Perhaps even generate enough discussion to earn the band their very own profile page?

PS: Also, a little tip - when trying to come across as a self-righteous, pompous, elitist douche, it helps if you spell things correctly, not use phrases coined by trendy wannabe elitist pre-teens (ie-"mallcore" - Can't say I've ever heard anyone over the age of 16 actually use that term seriously). What also helps is when you're trying to show your "underground" knowledge, avoid name-dropping bands that are signed to major record labels, such as Napalm.
----
- George Carlin
05.03.2009 - 02:17
Hamird
Lieutenant
Well, I think it's the best way to get rid of this problem is to make post limits for making topics and polls.. I think it's 100 now, it can be more.. 500. You know why? No matter how much you are tr00 or expert in Metal or what? If you wont be familiar to the procedure of forum, you shall get in trouble.. But when you have already posted about 500 posts here in this forum, it means you are familiar to the basic information about how folks do here, and it means you have been almost active here without no strong warnings (banning).
For example I was the one who made "Metallica vs Nirvana" in "Rock forums" in the previous version of MS. Well, I'm not really ashamed because honestly then I was a 14-15 years old kid who had a limited knowledge about both using forums and Metal (Rock) itself. Because here was the very first forum that I've been active until today.
Make my word short, I think a member who would become familiar to the atmosphere of this forum, then he'll be more aware of making nonsense polls.
Of course this suggestion comes after another basic requirement that is you must have the Mental Power® to realize what may be good to be discussed there and what may not..?
05.03.2009 - 03:23
Vationleg

Written by Doc G. on 04.03.2009 at 10:40

Also, I think you're missing the reason why people like you all eventually get banned. It's where your negativity is being directed, and how well it is explained. Post all the negativity you like, but you're likely to get banned very quickly if A) You are not intelligent enough to explain any of your posts, thus spamming, and B) You make a direct insult to the people themselves. Hey! You seem to fill out all the qualifications!

Alright son, I don't know what makes you think I'm not aware of what I'm/ve (been) doing.
A) How in the hell do you figure that? Did I not just fucking explain to you why I'm here and what I think of this site/(and more specifically) this thread?
I donnae know what post you read but It couldn'te been mine even though you quoted me. I've explain all my posts that came up against inquisitive fucks like you, and just because my answers weren't majestically epic as most of your foolish boasts look to be (from what I've seen) it doesn't mean their not legitimate all the same.

B) The fuck you on about mate? Who have I "directly" insulted? Granted I've made my opinion on the not-so-broad spectrum of posters around here obvious, but I've yet to isolate one individual and tell him/her their a worthless bawbag who should fuck off and jump off something tall...
And if your referring to my first post in this thread, No one's fuck'n done what I've accused'em of yet have'they?
So that's you shut up on that front, think before you spew eh? Infact that's exactly what this thread's about in'it? O the irony.

Also, as far as this being a "mainstream" forum, that can really be changed by you if you stick around long enough to perhaps open a thread, promote certain bands so you have people to discuss with? Perhaps even generate enough discussion to earn the band their very own profile page?

No, you seem to have misunderstood my meaning...
Though it is VERY true this site's primary focus is dead-set on the hipp'nest hopp'nest-whatever the fuck mainstream metal bands that everyone and their fucking maw's pure wank to whenever their music video's come on the tv, I meant the site it's self is an all-too-well-known entity in it's self.
If I have to be spell'n it out for you maybe the amount of time you waste on these wretched forums should be limited to week-end leisure times only yeh?

And I do indeed plan on sticking around for a while, I've got somethings I'd like to promote.
Which brings me to another dis-credit to this sites attributes, why force members to post 120 times (or whatever the number is) then gie them shite for the threads they start after words?
And NO, thats not a question I'm directing towards you Dr.Rock, I'm well aware your not a staff member so don't smartly suggest I seek out help from one of them on the subject.

PS: Also, a little tip - when trying to come across as a self-righteous, pompous, elitist douche, it helps if you spell things correctly, not use phrases coined by trendy wannabe elitist pre-teens (ie-"mallcore" - Can't say I've ever heard anyone over the age of 16 actually use that term seriously). What also helps is when you're trying to show your "underground" knowledge, avoid name-dropping bands that are signed to major record labels, such as Napalm.

Now on this one, I fucking lolled mate.
"Trying to come off"? You must be taking a piss, trendy? Jesus fuck'n Christ man, the stupidest cunt in all the world couldn't have come up with a paragraph that fuck'n inaccurate and condescending at the same time.
I really couldnae be too bothered with who first came up with that frighteningly accurate label "mallcore", but it certainly does do a good job of killing my metal-erection whenever I hear it. Piling all the Metalcore, Deathcore, and melo-detath kids into one scumy wad of a word was a good idea regardless of who you might reckn coined it first.
And it's no fuckin wonder you've not seen anyone under the age of 16 use it around here, over half the fucks here are 16 and the other lot fucking actually fucking enjoy the bands who fall under the "mallcore" criticism catagory.

Who exactly btw are you under the impression I name dropped?
Cannae been Tyr, if you had fuckin used your squinty little bloodshot eye's to actually read my fuck'n post, you'd have seen the context I referenced the band in was purely derogatory being as how I accused the oily teenagers in the "extreme" metal forum of being too excited about getting their first Tyr album in the mail to defend against any criticism's I might have for their precious "Abigail Williams" and the like...

I did not quote or have any responce to the first chunk of your post because I found nothing wrong with it.
In my humble opinion, you should have stuck with that and not have included the irrelevant meaningless drivel you (for some reason) deemed fit to add-on as an ugly overgrown tail to your reply.

Leave metal to those who live it, I will admit I found responding to your ignorant dung heap of a post to be a spot of fun (considering it didn't take long/much), but with a handle like "Dr.Rock", it begs the question: Does this cunt even know what he's yapp'n about?

We've answered that question today, the answer: No...

Cheers
05.03.2009 - 06:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Hamird on 05.03.2009 at 02:17

Well, I think it's the best way to get rid of this problem is to make post limits for making topics and polls.. I think it's 100 now, it can be more.. 500. You know why? No matter how much you are tr00 or expert in Metal or what? If you wont be familiar to the procedure of forum, you shall get in trouble..

This is a fantastic idea IMO. It would decrease the number of polls drastically, but I'll take quality over quantity.

Also, to that Mess fellow. Read that post out loud to yourself, it makes next to no sense, using the word "fuck" 2-3 times per statement also doesn't help. Nor did you prove anything, you just come across as even more of a cartoon-like pompous elitist. Also, please activate the spell checker on your internet browser, that post was almost painful to read. When I was referring to uber-elitist pre-teens coining that term, I was not referring to this website, but rather overhearing ridiculous conversations amongst the younger attendees at certain metal shows.

Now moving on and ignoring the trollers......
----
- George Carlin
05.03.2009 - 07:49
Vationleg

Written by Vationleg on 05.03.2009 at 07:47

Written by Doc G. on 05.03.2009 at 06:51

you just come across as even more of a cartoon-like pompous elitist.
Now moving on and ignoring the trollers......

IYO...

I'm not trolling either, I shared my thoughts on this thread and what should (or rather shouldn't) be done.
I'm no villan but I'll tell you your wrong when you are, and writting me off as a troll is a cheap tactic for avoiding our argument.
But that's fine, I can't be bothered anyway.
05.03.2009 - 14:00
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Vationleg on 05.03.2009 at 03:23

Alright son, I don't know what makes you think I'm not aware of what I'm/ve (been) doing.
A) How in the hell do you figure that? Did I not just fucking explain to you why I'm here and what I think of this site/(and more specifically) this thread?
I donnae know what post you read but It couldn'te been mine even though you quoted me. I've explain all my posts that came up against inquisitive fucks like you, and just because my answers weren't majestically epic as most of your foolish boasts look to be (from what I've seen) it doesn't mean their not legitimate all the same.

B) The fuck you on about mate? Who have I "directly" insulted? Granted I've made my opinion on the not-so-broad spectrum of posters around here obvious, but I've yet to isolate one individual and tell him/her their a worthless bawbag who should fuck off and jump off something tall...
And if your referring to my first post in this thread, No one's fuck'n done what I've accused'em of yet have'they?
So that's you shut up on that front, think before you spew eh? Infact that's exactly what this thread's about in'it? O the irony.

How the hell does fucking anyone fucking think of what you fucking think.....the annoying use of obscene language as you do it does not evoke any respect at all towards you....

No, you seem to have misunderstood my meaning...

For sure...everyone always misunderstands you....
aggressive, annoying and disrespectful posts are usually not pleasant to read which sometimes may also cause people to misunderstand you...but then again, you'll say we "missundaztood" you again....

Though it is VERY true this site's primary focus is dead-set on the hipp'nest hopp'nest-whatever the fuck mainstream metal bands that everyone and their fucking maw's pure wank to whenever their music video's come on the tv, I meant the site it's self is an all-too-well-known entity in it's self.
If I have to be spell'n it out for you maybe the amount of time you waste on these wretched forums should be limited to week-end leisure times only yeh?

The way you express what you wish to express is sick....then again it is obvious you cannot express in any other way anyhow because that's the way how you think...and there are problems....

And I do indeed plan on sticking around for a while, I've got somethings I'd like to promote.

Now that's already better....promote something good and behave well and everything is going to be well...

Which brings me to another dis-credit to this sites attributes, why force members to post 120 times (or whatever the number is) then gie them shite for the threads they start after words?

Attitude....by posting you show what kind of person ye are and what kind o attitude and way o expressin things is at ya....nobody FORCES ya to post....ya post for ya have somethin constructive and positive to say ("one word posts", flaming, trolling, hateful text and other spamming are of course a big no no) and not for the thing that "OO I still have to post 26 more fukkin posts to get that fukkin position/privilege/status/whatever"....Read what Hämid wrote...he is right...for some permissions the post quantity (and QUALITY) must be set higher....that will avoid situation where we gie'em shite....

Now on this one, I fucking lolled mate.
"Trying to come off"? You must be taking a piss, trendy? Jesus fuck'n Christ man, the stupidest cunt in all the world couldn't have come up with a paragraph that fuck'n inaccurate and condescending at the same time.
I really couldnae be too bothered with who first came up with that frighteningly accurate label "mallcore", but it certainly does do a good job of killing my metal-erection whenever I hear it. Piling all the Metalcore, Deathcore, and melo-detath kids into one scumy wad of a word was a good idea regardless of who you might reckn coined it first.
And it's no fuckin wonder you've not seen anyone under the age of 16 use it around here, over half the fucks here are 16 and the other lot fucking actually fucking enjoy the bands who fall under the "mallcore" criticism catagory.

Who exactly btw are you under the impression I name dropped?
Cannae been Tyr, if you had fuckin used your squinty little bloodshot eye's to actually read my fuck'n post, you'd have seen the context I referenced the band in was purely derogatory being as how I accused the oily teenagers in the "extreme" metal forum of being too excited about getting their first Tyr album in the mail to defend against any criticism's I might have for their precious "Abigail Williams" and the like...

I did not quote or have any responce to the first chunk of your post because I found nothing wrong with it.
In my humble opinion, you should have stuck with that and not have included the irrelevant meaningless drivel you (for some reason) deemed fit to add-on as an ugly overgrown tail to your reply.

Leave metal to those who live it, I will admit I found responding to your ignorant dung heap of a post to be a spot of fun (considering it didn't take long/much), but with a handle like "Dr.Rock", it begs the question: Does this cunt even know what he's yapp'n about?

We've answered that question today, the answer: No...

Cheers

Most of this part of the post is psychological garbage out of yer mind poured on a person who calmly and by no means offensive manner protected himself of being hit with more of that shite you threw.....The point you make with the post has some value mayb for yourself only and the lousy statistics (introducing the 12 fucks and other words related to the stem fuck, calling a fellow user cunt, and other things.....) tear the quality down below zero.....

The cheers in the end doesn't save anything....

Oh and you think we, who answer you, are bothered....yes, as a matter of fact, of course it is bothering to see posts like you produce but at some point I think that you're prolly bothered yourself the most (you'll deny it)....and you will be bothered on and on....

I've got nothing else to say at the moment any more....
chan eil ceail : )
05.03.2009 - 20:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Hamird on 05.03.2009 at 02:17

Well, I think it's the best way to get rid of this problem is to make post limits for making topics and polls.. I think it's 100 now, it can be more.. 500. You know why? No matter how much you are tr00 or expert in Metal or what? If you wont be familiar to the procedure of forum, you shall get in trouble.. But when you have already posted about 500 posts here in this forum, it means you are familiar to the basic information about how folks do here, and it means you have been almost active here without no strong warnings (banning).
For example I was the one who made "Metallica vs Nirvana" in "Rock forums" in the previous version of MS. Well, I'm not really ashamed because honestly then I was a 14-15 years old kid who had a limited knowledge about both using forums and Metal (Rock) itself. Because here was the very first forum that I've been active until today.
Make my word short, I think a member who would become familiar to the atmosphere of this forum, then he'll be more aware of making nonsense polls.
Of course this suggestion comes after another basic requirement that is you must have the Mental Power® to realize what may be good to be discussed there and what may not..?

In theory, this is a very good idea. Others have suggested similar measures for other areas of the site that could benefit from some tighter oversight, such as album votes.

The big problem is simply this.

Bumping the threshold from 100 to 500 posts to engage in other activities - be they rating albums or creating a poll - is that in the case of those with nothing particularly new or useful to add, you might just get 400 more useless posts out of them so that they can kick off a lame poll.

Additionally, the new guy with something of value to discuss or debate in poll format is unable to do so until he adds another 400 to his post count. For someone with measured words, that might take a while.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.03.2009 - 13:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Lucas has done a good job by locking two useless polls. That gladdens the eye.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.03.2009 - 02:27
Vationleg

Written by Ernis on 05.03.2009 at 14:00

fail of a post

You must have been pretty wasted when you replied mine.
Have some self-respect and sober up before you post next ok?
08.03.2009 - 02:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Vationleg on 08.03.2009 at 02:27

I'd advise you to do the same. You have only recently started posting*, and you're attitude is far from pleasent. Read the rules and get off your high horse, or you probably won't last long.

* You claim to have known Metal Storm for a long time already. Are you someone that was previously banned, or something? Can't leave the site alone, eh?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.03.2009 - 03:00
Vationleg

Written by Lucas on 08.03.2009 at 02:41

* You claim to have known Metal Storm for a long time already. Are you someone that was previously banned, or something? Can't leave the site alone, eh?

Yeh, as I said above, I've got somthing to plug...
08.03.2009 - 11:46
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Vationleg on 08.03.2009 at 02:27

Written by Ernis on 05.03.2009 at 14:00

fail of a post

You must have been pretty wasted when you replied mine.

Ok sorry...maybe yeh...my post most probably did fail....seems it never reached you...but I didn't expect that anyway...

As far as me memory goes I was not wasted while writing the message....

Written by Vationleg on 08.03.2009 at 03:00

Yeh, as I said above, I've got somthing to plug...

That's right...plug it up. Whatever the opening that serves as the primary source of the mire in your messages is, make sure you plug it up tight.