Metal Storm logo
Restrictions on the Metal Arena

18.11.2008 - 04:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Currently there are 400 threads in the Metal Arena, and a large number of them seem rather asinine. The Arena used to be a place to debate aspects of bands, musicians, albums and songs but now it just seems to be a dumping ground for the most inane topics. It really appears to be two camps that are clogging up the thread, unnecessary topics and poorly written topics.

With the unnecessary topics I am talking about the overused concepts here. There are currently 14 topics about Metallica alone! Do we really need 14 different discussion about James Hetfield and the Metallicas? Then there are the overly repetitive threads about guitarists, drummers, vocalists, etc. Let us not forget the threads like "Machine head vs trivium vs dragonforce vs arch enemy vs shadows fall". Really? Really? That is a necessary topic?

The other side is the threads that do seem to have a legitimate premises to them but are just lacking in decent information or choices. For example I just read the "Best Overall Drummer" thread. OK, this could be a good topic, but the designer of the thread obviously doesn't know much about drumming or drummers. I by no means direct this as an insult, but corrective and encouraging criticism. On said poll we are given choices like 'Lars Ulrich' and 'Chris Adler'. Anyone who knows drumming knows that neither of these two should even be considered. Mr. Ulrich is a decent drummer at best. If one is going to be making a thread about a topic, it should be filled with legitimate choices. Where are drummers like Mike Portnoy (and no I am not saying this as a Ytse Jammer, but as someone who can see him as the man who drums for Dream Theater as well as Neal Morse and OSI) or Neal Peart or Ed Warby. This is only one example of the somewhat uneducated choices we are given through out the forum.

On top of that, the vast majority of times the thread creator does not give good reasons (or any reasons at all!) for why the choices are there. Sure, we might not need reasons when being asked what our favorite Iron Maiden album is, but maybe a little description of the albums would ad some credibility to the thread.

Well that is enough rambling from me. Am I alone in these feelings or do others agree with part or all of what I am stating here?
----
(space for rent)
18.11.2008 - 05:01
Hrothdane

I agree completely. It seems from the examples you gave and my own experience that people are making polls of topics that don't really suit the a poll (especially with uneducated poll choices). Best overall drummer/guitarist/vocalist really needs to be a discussion thread about what people think makes a good drummer/guitarist/vocalist, not just the "OMGHOWCOULDUFORGETBLAHBLAHBLAH" that prevails in most of those threads. Such topics, especially polls, need to have their focus limited. For example, the characteristics of a good vocalist are subjective. Some people care more about energy and power, while others prefer technically strong singers. Others consider people with the ability to sing clean and growling vocals the best, and some just care that the vocalist has a unique voice. and trying to fit every vocalist someone could possibly call "the best" into 10 options is ludicrous when everyone isn't operating off of the same criteria.

As a general rule, if people are trying to make a poll and they find they are easily filling all the option boxes, they probably should make it a discussion.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
18.11.2008 - 07:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Not too mention a lot of good polls are being buried because the shit ones are pushing them back.

Another problem being open ended questions where the answers could be extremely numerous not having an "Other" option. For example, we have one "Best Metal Guitarist Ever", not only does this poll not have an "Other" option, but it doesn't even fill out all 9 available nomination slots, only 6! This thread should be locked (and deleted) in my opinion.
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=73

Then another topic like this came up, a "Best Guitarist Out Of These" thread was created, so its directly comparing select guitarist, for what reason does it have an "Other" option? Does this come across as redundant to anyone else?
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14576

@Dane Train:
I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to acknowledge this problem. But the main question should be, how do we fix this?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.11.2008 - 10:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Dane, I totally support you in this endeavor. Sometimes it seems that the topics are created for the sole purpose of creating them. As for me, I don't even like all those Favorite-album-by-the-band threads. Seriously, are they THAT important. And very often, Metalstorm forum is getting boring, with nothing to discuss.

Agree with Dr. Rock.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.11.2008 - 12:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dane - Thats about what I talk all time, new polls, McBrain vs Ulrich , Top 10 albums from Sweden or whatever
In old days such thinks be locked fast, ok Im not anoyed for stupid poll but about those Top 10 thinks whit no explanations, its anoying
Ewry new tread/poll what I see here seems gonna be good one, but when I open its same , seems old members whop can open good thinks are gone, but we shood live and Im happy there someoen who still can do it
Alos about be smetal country and such thinks, seems people vote because one or 2 overated bands are in TOP, but dont know muvh about underground
But those 5-10 metallica, whatever polls are not so good, same thrash metal or whatever IMO one good how 10 sucky

How the fuck I acn choose ebst drummer from all drummers, I know and like maybe 1000 bands and I do not know all names. such poll people can vote if he/she are drummer, because there different drum tecniques like speed metal drummer dont drum like hard rock drummer

IMO member shood be 100 posts and 20 votes (in polls) before he can do it , its easy get 100 posts and votes ,(good votes) so not how neby go post Mayhem rulles and open poll Mayhem vs Darkthrone and say vote blackers

Ok I was neby to, my posts was not perfect but it was my alcoholivc overdose days and drunk people sint smart , now its over
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2008 - 16:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
To stop this shit, mods should be asked before creating a new thread or just check before it goes on the forum. What do you think?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.11.2008 - 16:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Elio on 18.11.2008 at 16:30

To stop this shit, mods should be asked before creating a new thread or just check before it goes on the forum. What do you think?

Hmm then it can be vate more how 3 days before its be opened, and mods check all new treads
IMO better there be ion each forum main cheep mod, who looks ewery day there or something simmilar, but generaly mods look all treads. But we shood repport about stupid and uncomplite tread , thats how I do all time
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2008 - 17:30
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Doc G. on 18.11.2008 at 07:25

@Dane Train:
I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to acknowledge this problem. But the main question should be, how do we fix this?

That is a good question indeed, and I was hoping people here could put their heads together on this one. I think these guys are heading in the right direction...

Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 16:36

Written by Elio on 18.11.2008 at 16:30

Hmm then it can be vate more how 3 days before its be opened, and mods check all new treads
IMO better there be ion each forum main cheep mod, who looks ewery day there or something simmilar, but generaly mods look all treads. But we shood repport about stupid and uncomplite tread , thats how I do all time

The moderation of the forums seems to have been a slowly growing problem. Back when MS wasn't nearly as large as it is now, we had just the right amount of moderators. Today the membership has growth drastically, but the moderators haven't. If anything, it honestly seems like there are actually less moderators around. Do the moderators need to step it up more or do we just need more moderators?
----
(space for rent)
18.11.2008 - 17:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 18.11.2008 at 17:30

The moderation of the forums seems to have been a slowly growing problem. Back when MS wasn't nearly as large as it is now, we had just the right amount of moderators. Today the membership has growth drastically, but the moderators haven't. If anything, it honestly seems like there are actually less moderators around. Do the moderators need to step it up more or do we just need more moderators?

I dont know because Im here I know each new tread, forum tch, ok I dont kn ow much about line up, events and such thinks, but I know forum werry well,
Im not mod, but man ewery body exept me has real life
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2008 - 17:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I don't think a problem with number of moderators... I, almost just like K7, know a new thread has been created. And seriously, there are enough moderators http://metalstorm.ee/users/permissions.php?p_type=7. At least half of them are seen frequently. I think it's just their lenience that matters.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.11.2008 - 18:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 18.11.2008 at 17:57

I don't think a problem with number of moderators... I, almost just like K7, know a new thread has been created. And seriously, there are enough moderators http://metalstorm.ee/users/permissions.php?p_type=7. At least half of them are seen frequently. I think it's just their lenience that matters.

Yes I know its enought but there ''forum report'' option, sualy its accepted/rejected same day if its dobble tread, soem spamm or triple posts, seriuss insults take longer
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2008 - 18:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 18:08

Written by K✞ulu on 18.11.2008 at 17:57

Yes I know its enought but there ''forum report'' option, sualy its accepted/rejected same day if its dobble tread, soem spamm or triple posts, seriuss insults take longer

I'm not even talking about reporting a thread. A moderator sees a new thread, he checks it and he should lock it if it doesn't conform to the norm of MA and those that we all have mentioned. I said lenience was the problem, that is them allowing all those thread being created.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

19.11.2008 - 21:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Dane Train wehat do you think about iron maiden

Damn , I hope people be smart and not post in locked poll , realy such polls anoyes me more how PM spammers
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2008 - 03:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
So I went digging through the Metal Arena, and I found a nice little score of useless polls, I think some of these were the types Dane Train was talking about:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14002&board_page=3
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=7300&board_page=5
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14005&board_page=5
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=11027&board_page=4
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=8993&board_page=4
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=13589&board_page=7
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=4407&board_page=11
Most of these seem really...ambiguous (for lack of a better word). Shouldn't the choices in the poll have more relation to one another, instead of just the coincidence that perhaps both of them are dead? Some of the polls are just like "Choose between my favorites" list, with no actual real similarities between the options.

Also, I'm absolutely positive this one exists like 3 times over already:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=1961&board_page=14
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.11.2008 - 07:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Yes, indeed, there are two more threads of that kind. Then in the Slayer vs Dragonforce, I wrote almost immediately after the thread had been created that it would be closed very soon, but it wasn't (the guy didn't say what his choice was + no real opening thread). If wrathchild saw that thread, it would get closed immediately. But is he the only moderator?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.11.2008 - 11:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by K✞ulu on 24.11.2008 at 07:20

Yes, indeed, there are two more threads of that kind. Then in the Slayer vs Dragonforce, I wrote almost immediately after the thread had been created that it would be closed very soon, but it wasn't (the guy didn't say what his choice was + no real opening thread). If wrathchild saw that thread, it would get closed immediately. But is he the only moderator?

No, of course he isn't, [Link]. Also you can help the moderators A LOT by simply reporting these kind of threads (look for the "Report To Mods" icon at the top right of a thread).
----
Your favorite band sucks.
24.11.2008 - 11:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno about others but I report about such treads and 80% its locked and dealited after, so Im not mod, so I dunno how others report, but IMO if you think tread shood be locked you shood report , 90% are acceopted in same day, 10% in 3 days time so...
----

apos;'
[image]
24.11.2008 - 19:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Thryce on 24.11.2008 at 11:24

Written by K✞ulu on 24.11.2008 at 07:20

No, of course he isn't, [Link]. Also you can help the moderators A LOT by simply reporting these kind of threads (look for the "Report To Mods" icon at the top right of a thread).

Oh, yeah. I know he was not the only moderator. It was a rhetorical question. Ok, I never use the "report to mods" icon, but I will. Good idea!
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

24.11.2008 - 20:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 24.11.2008 at 19:54

Oh, yeah. I know he was not the only moderator. It was a rhetorical question. Ok, I never use the "report to mods" icon, but I will. Good idea!

''report to mods'' are here since I can remeber, IMO from beggining , ok I stayr us eit after 1, 1.5 hear in site , it was time when I realy understand how site works
----

apos;'
[image]
25.11.2008 - 18:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Important notice to everyone!

We have heard your prayers (no pun intended, Dane) and we have thought about what to do with this. We agree that the Metal Arena has gone overboard and we're currently debating on how to solve this. The thing is, we could easily gather up some mods and go through all the threads elimating the bad ones (I'm personally very curious as to how much threads we'll end up with), but we realize that does not solve the problem.

So basically, you should all know that we are going to do something about it, I promise you that right here and now. However, it will not be tomorrow as we still need to figure out how to keep it clean. But try to hold just a little longer, help is on its way!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.11.2008 - 20:34
Fhuesc

I have an idea, how about, if we use the same rating system that have the funny stuff, the threads that after 15 votes have a score lower than 5, the mods close them.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
26.11.2008 - 21:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Fhuesc on 26.11.2008 at 20:34

I have an idea, how about, if we use the same rating system that have the funny stuff, the threads that after 15 votes have a score lower than 5, the mods close them.

Well then you might as well say goodbye to the "Christianity" thread
27.11.2008 - 05:20
Fhuesc

Written by Introspekrieg on 26.11.2008 at 21:00

There is a Christianity thread on Metal Arena?
----
Until victory, always!
27.11.2008 - 09:43
tulkas
el parcero
If certainy mods are kinda hung up wth stuff on the site, then we certainly should help by reporting those threads that we consider useless/stupi/ambigous/whatever, and also, and imo most importat, just follow the f&$#n' rules for opening a thread of whatever kind!
also, i kinda got away sometime from the site so i had to ask, why is it that i see that people with less than 100 posts can open threads? how about raising that minimum post # to 500, or something... maybe that could help and second, wasn't the limit of posts per thread up to 500? like i said, i was away, so i know missed something! lol
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
27.11.2008 - 16:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by tulkas on 27.11.2008 at 09:43

maybe that could help and second, wasn't the limit of posts per thread up to 500? like i said, i was away, so i know missed something! lol

Nop now its 1000 limited postsa nd IMO 100 post before opening shood be like it was in old forum, because newbeys dont know how to open tread, its from personal expierience
----

apos;'
[image]
27.11.2008 - 17:29
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Fhuesc on 27.11.2008 at 05:20

Written by Introspekrieg on 26.11.2008 at 21:00

Sure. Christianity's best album
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.11.2008 - 18:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is ''Best Cristian Metal Band'' tread its not same like Christianity

Damn now I think how about people from age 16-17 can only open treads?
They new zeland dude just open same tread what Lucas locked about Rage In Blood .... Luca sdlock it, he opens new , he is 14 I understan but if staff locks it, he shood get notification, its locked, , ehhh and poeple ask me why I dont want kids
----

apos;'
[image]
27.11.2008 - 18:56
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

I think I should have rephrased it... "Christianity-related polls"
like the Demon Hunter/As I Lay Dying battles, best Christian band stuff. I feel they would be unfairly persecuted. I think having that thumbs up/down would remove an important aspect of moderation: the moderators. Sometimes analyzing a thread's notability (I hate that word now) takes a little judgment that not all members have (or someone with 5 duplicate accounts). Take for example the Master of Puppets vs Rust in Peace vs Reign in Blood poll... there was already a MoP vs RiP poll but it wasn't EXACTLY the same...
28.11.2008 - 04:49
Fhuesc

Written by Introspekrieg on 27.11.2008 at 18:56

like the Demon Hunter/As I Lay Dying battles, best Christian band stuff. I feel they would be unfairly persecuted. I think having that thumbs up/down would remove an important aspect of moderation: the moderators. Sometimes analyzing a thread's notability (I hate that word now) takes a little judgment that not all members have (or someone with 5 duplicate accounts). Take for example the Master of Puppets vs Rust in Peace vs Reign in Blood poll... there was already a MoP vs RiP poll but it wasn't EXACTLY the same...

To solve those problems, first, it would be necessary a minimum amount of post, in other to vote, second, if a thread after 15 votes has a lower score than 5, it would be decision of the moderators to close that thread. I never meant to replace the moderators with a thumbs up/down system.
----
Until victory, always!
28.11.2008 - 07:32
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Fhuesc on 28.11.2008 at 04:49
Written by Introspekrieg on 27.11.2008 at 18:56
To solve those problems, first, it would be necessary a minimum amount of post, in other to vote, second, if a thread after 15 votes has a lower score than 5, it would be decision of the moderators to close that thread. I never meant to replace the moderators with a thumbs up/down system.
That sounds like a very complicated alternative to the Report to Mods button...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays