Metal Storm logo
"True Metal"

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 03.07.2006 - 04:39
A lot of metalheads have been describing and discriminating against bands who they classify as 'true metal' (or 'tr00 metal'). Whilst this is not an actual defined metal sub genre like prog or black metal, I've seen this term used a lot to describe bands from Manowar to Burzum. Some metalheads are quite passionate about this pseudo-tag and have gotten into petty squabbles about what is true and what isn't.

Anyhow, I've decided to question your thoughts on what 'true metal' is or has been described as. There is no real answer so there will be no need to bash or redefine other people's points. What makes a band 'true'? What bands can be considered so? And can a band that has 'sold out' be classed as 'true' as well or do they have to be underground to a certain extent? Do bands belonging in a certain metal subgenre have a better chance of being 'true' than another metal subgenre?

Discuss. I'm interested to see what other people have to say.
17.09.2011 - 02:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Quote:
Written by RockeRoy on 16.09.2011 at 13:32

Actually I think metallica is the worse example you could pick, I mean yes they tried alot, but they went from Good to totally disgusting. I mean what they produce now is total crap compared to their old stuff. Anyways as for Burzum, I think he experimented alot man, now he's doing classical I mean wtf? and for Maiden, well they never really changed the way they played after the first 2 albums but still they tried alot of different things. I think this Tr00 thing is just bullshit, a band is true to itself not to a genre or to a quota of popularity...

I knew Metallica wasn't the best example because i didn't want to start a debate on old vs. new shit, i think its safe to say that no one on this site thinks new shit is better than the old shit anyway... i think you said it well when you say "compared to THEIR old stuff"... i could have picked a band like Ulver for my example maybe..even though the change here is a little to extreme..
Yeah. i'm aware of this classical record of his, but he is not right in his head and had to much time in prisson to think:) anyway Burzum may have experimented, but his catalouge is no more versatile that any other bands. less i think.
When you said maiden tried alot of different things.. i'm sure, but every "trOO" band does this to some extent from album to album.Iron Maiden has always been close to it's nest, to afraid and maybe unable to step out and fly like the eagles in their songs:)
I agree with you on trOO is just bullshit, but there is these trOOists... and they can be annoying, just as annoying as fanboys.
A band should be trOO to it's self, but in who's eyes?? i think Metallica have been true to them self.. they done what they wanted to do all the time, no matter what their fans think.
When a band start making material they think their fans want to hear or keep baking the same old recipe because the fans would be upset if they changed their sound... thats when the band is not trOO to itself, but trOO to their fans. And then every band consist of multiple musicians, and if a musician get stuck in playing the same shit always, he is not true to himself as a musician. It's seams there is alot of different ways to be trOO, and to be trOO 100% to your fans, band and yourself only a few bands/musicians could say that they are i think.. example Opeth/Akerfeldt... (maybe another bad example because Opeth is the new Metallica in some peoples eyes in here.. mainly in the eyes of the "trOOists" i think.. and i think the reason is becasue of the popularity) Maybe that could be a new Song title "In the eyes of the trOOist"

Well we could argue infinitely on this but I think metallica actually changed to get more fans and a more mainstream appeal... not because they liked the way they played, it seems like they run out of inspiration like alot of bands. But anyways... Im glad we agree on the fact that Tr00 is bullshit
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.09.2011 - 02:11
fabregassed
Account deleted
^ Ulver would maybe be an example of a band that was successful in its transitions.
17.09.2011 - 02:43
Lit.
Account deleted
What does False Metal sound like?
17.09.2011 - 03:32
Evil Chip

Like bad music.
17.09.2011 - 03:50
RockeRoy

Written by Guest on 17.09.2011 at 02:43

What does False Metal sound like?

Van Canto;)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.09.2011 - 03:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Evil Chip on 17.09.2011 at 03:32

Like bad music.

like manowar?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.09.2011 - 04:18
Evil Chip

Written by BitterCOld on 17.09.2011 at 03:54

Written by Evil Chip on 17.09.2011 at 03:32

Like bad music.

like manowar?

Yes, the one that makes you feel like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyLJk-xT8Eo:
17.09.2011 - 11:35
arwestromen

If false metal means bad music....then it's easier to count the "true" bands then the "false" ones cuz there is ALOT of bands making bad music, there are whole genres who makes bad music.......does that make it a "false metal genre"?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
17.09.2011 - 12:54
Zombie94

Written by RockeRoy on 15.09.2011 at 14:08

It's good to be TrOO/true, but i think it's better to be inventive and newthinking.
Ofcourse it's possible to be both to some extent, if there is something called True at all. (always question the "truth") I fell that the so called True metal bands like Manowar, Iron Maiden, burzum etc. maybe are afraid to make changes becasue they fear to dissapoint their fans and don't sell records.... thats not very TrOO is it?? Even that or they are not very versatile musicians. Maybe i'm wrong, but i have never seen any members of the bands mentioned above in any sideprojects that is completely different than their main bands or at least require a different sett of skills/approach. Eks: Bruce Dickinson solo material. I think Metallica is a good example of the opposite, they never been afraid to try something new. and now with this Lou Reed thing.. Awsome, i haven't heard it, but what an bold idea right? I don't want to start a debate about how good Metallica's later year albums is. i only say that i think they have alot of balls doing what they do. at least give them that much:)

Well if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe Manowar, Iron Maiden and Burzum just enjoy making that kinda music and don't feel the need to radically shift their style like Metallica did. Honestly a lot of the time when metal fans criticise a band for changing their sound it's simply because the new stuff is garbage compared to what they were playing before. I could care less if Manowar decided tomorrow that they're going to play black metal as long as it sounds as awesome as when they were playing power metal. However that is extremely unlikely so I'd probably criticise them for it, and rightly so in my opinion.
17.09.2011 - 14:39
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.09.2011 at 02:11

^ Ulver would maybe be an example of a band that was successful in its transitions.

Immortal is a better example. Their thrash era is more creative and sometimes better than their earlier tr00 albums.
17.09.2011 - 21:35
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 17.09.2011 at 14:39

Immortal is a better example. Their thrash era is more creative and sometimes better than their earlier tr00 albums.

And you call Nergal a Blasphemer Pure Holocaust > Other Immortal Albums .Seriously though Immortal are True Metal IMO
Consistent Discography, Great Live and They dont take themselves seriously (Despite the ridiculous videos and image they come across as more sincere then many of these TRUE KVLT GRIM FROSTBITTEN Black Metal bands)
18.09.2011 - 00:45
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.09.2011 at 21:35

Written by Guest on 17.09.2011 at 14:39

And you call Nergal a Blasphemer Pure Holocaust > Other Immortal Albums .Seriously though Immortal are True Metal IMO
Consistent Discography, Great Live and They dont take themselves seriously (Despite the ridiculous videos and image they come across as more sincere then many of these TRUE KVLT GRIM FROSTBITTEN Black Metal bands)

@ the Nergal thing!! IMO ATHOW > BITN > PH, the last is full of dissonance. And yes, they're true metal. All the facts you said are 1000% true.
17.12.2011 - 02:43
arwestromen

Tru metal is a term made up by people who could not stand metal bands who didn't make the kind of music they defined as metal like Nu-metal so they took distance from it calling it not "real" metal or not "true" metal.
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
18.12.2011 - 08:11
Bulus

No matter what people say about true or not, it's your own ear to listen to the bands and your brain to digest the music.
21.12.2011 - 00:06
gav1230

I don't think there's such a thing as "false" metal just shitty metal. Sure (most) nu-metal sucks but it's wrong to say it's "false". I mean metal started out as a subgenre of blues rock so you might as well say thrash and death aren't "true" either.
08.01.2012 - 03:05
lordchadi

Actually I think metallica is the worse example you could pick, I mean yes they tried alot, but they went from Good to totally disgusting. I mean what they produce now is total crap compared to their old stuff. Anyways as for Burzum, I think he experimented alot man, now he's doing classical I mean wtf? and for Maiden, well they never really changed the way they played after the first 2 albums but still they tried alot of different things. I think this Tr00 thing is just bullshit, a band is true to itself not to a genre or to a quota of popularity... ( copied )
31.03.2012 - 13:21
Infernal Eternal

A band is true when they play what they like and don't care about the critics. You have to like such bands to listen to them.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
15.09.2016 - 04:08
__Mailman

See, when people say things aren't real metal, it means they just don't like the subgenre. The main target of this hate is nu metal and modern metal. It's all real metal, but people are so annoyed and disgusted by the genre (myself included) that they say it isn't metal. I think it's real metal. I know it's real metal. It's just those people who are too thick-headed and stubborn that think it's not real metal. They just don't understand that things evolve. It doesn't matter if you don't like the way it evolves. It still happens and there's no way to change it.
16.09.2016 - 02:47
Ganondox

There is no such thing as "true metal", it's either metal, or it's not. Some stuff is under debate about whether it's metal or not, but it's still metal under some defination of the term.
17.10.2016 - 10:23
Sang Dalang Abu

Of course there are exist 'True Metal', stop fooling urself.
24.10.2016 - 13:34
Joppe
Steelemeister

I agree with these lyrics, this is true metal.
----
My vision is augmented