Metal Storm logo
People you have influenced to get into metal?

Original post

Posted by -Soulreaper-, 19.11.2008 - 19:30
I was just wondering if there is anyone in your life that you have inspired or influenced to get into metal? For example, I got my 13 year old brother into a few metal bands and now he can't get enough of it. I introduced bands like Amon Amarth, Tyr, Opeth, and Slayer. He had been listening to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth and a couple others before but I think I gave him the nudge he needed to get into a little heavier stuff. Also I got my wife into some more extreme bands like Burzum, Darkthrone, Bloodbath, Morbid Angel and others. Now she we will come home and I hear her blasting Cancer of the Soul or some other heavy stuff. Anyways, would like to hear you experiences.
14.06.2009 - 19:08
terrorist

I influenced a lots of people.I remember some guy when i was in high school.He was listening classic music and i've showed him as i remember Master Of Puppets and he was amazed.He immediately sit on the piano and started playing ahahah.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
15.06.2009 - 21:58
Nimlot
A. Reader
A guy who I had just met at 6th grade... He asked me what kind of music I was into and I told him I liked metal so he asked me to hear some. I showed him Blind Guardian and he later on became my best friend
15.06.2009 - 22:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I totally screwed it up when I got a friend into metal. Igot him to listen to easy stuff you know... Like Amon Amarth [I'm not a fan, like I said.. easy stuff is.. well.. easy]. But then I tried to get him into other stuff like doom metal and then I got the fact that I fucked it up and I got my friend into totally mainstream shit.

Better luck next time I guess... For example.. He dismissed Neurosis for lack of solos... WTF?!!!!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.07.2009 - 01:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
My 14 year old daughter has a boatload of my music on her iPod...We also went to her first concert together: Opeth/High on Fire last fall!!!
----
rekt
04.07.2009 - 20:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Norm on 03.07.2009 at 10:04

My girlfriend use to not appreciate Metal back years ago, but now she tries to rival my CD collection.

Unfortunately, all my friends are homos and totally un-metal. When I turn the blast beats up in my car they start to cry. Being a metalhead can sometimes be a lonely life. The price we pay to listen to such amazing music...

The "heaviest" music my wife listens to is Bon Jovi - she actually wants the latest Shinedown album - I asked her "are u sure, they are pretty heavy"...stay tuned...
----
rekt
09.07.2009 - 09:14
Deaththrasher999

I try with a few people but, nobody like it I guess here in Miami people don't apreciate that type of music, but when I go to concerts i see a lot of metalheads. so I ask myself where are all this people comming from?... I go to gigs by myself, but I would appreciate knowing people that like the same thing I do. But I'll keep defending metal no matter what other people think of me!!
09.07.2009 - 09:18
Deaththrasher999

Written by Norm on 03.07.2009 at 10:04

My girlfriend use to not appreciate Metal back years ago, but now she tries to rival my CD collection.

Unfortunately, all my friends are homos and totally un-metal. When I turn the blast beats up in my car they start to cry. Being a metalhead can sometimes be a lonely life. The price we pay to listen to such amazing music...

Dude I agree on that Metal may be a lonely life... shit same thing happens to me, but I haven't been lucky with getting a girlfriend into metal, but at the end I have metal in my blood and that's all it matters and I am proud of that!!
09.07.2009 - 21:14
Wilkinson

Quite a lot among my friends had to "familiarize" themselves with Metal. Not all of them like the bands I do like, and they didn't turn into Metalheads but we can discuss a few things and that's really cool I think. One of my friends is a Britpop fan but she knows about quite a lot of things now and even made me discover some bands!
Unfortunately, I have not managed to influence my parents in any way and they still consider that "Metal = noise" -_-
----
Can you hear the Tales from the Ocean
Submerged cities and haunted wrecks
Can you hear the Tales from Nowhere
The wind will tell you, if you listen

After the Rain.. http://running-after-the-rainbow.blogspot.com
09.07.2009 - 22:57
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i'm really happy to tell this, i influenced one of my little cousins...he is really getting into metal right now, he's into prog & plays it a lot...he's got a twin and we're trying to pull him too but maybe we'll take more time he
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.07.2009 - 23:59
katzky
Account deleted
♀':thumbup:'Those people who've been really rockin' close to me...!:yes:

10.07.2009 - 00:05
thesabbathfan

The dude that plays drums in my band, I got him into what i call "intro" metal (basically, Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath. Led Zeppelin) when we were about 12 and we both then moved on to the underground local scene and formed a band for a few years now.

and also, theres a guys thats a year younger than me at my school and he's just being introduced the -core scene and cob worship.
----
11.07.2009 - 01:46
Evilquince

I got my year younger brother into metal and I'm really proud of it. Especially because the first band he liked was my favorite one - Iron Maiden. Later came Judas Priest, Blind Guardian and similar...Imagine my surprise when I searched for some songs on his computer and found an album by Judas Priest that I myself didn't have it's true that he listens to some electronic music now such as The Prodigy, but he still hasn't forgot about metal ^^

there's also a friend of mine who's into Dream Theater, Helloween, Avenged Sevenfold but still claims that she isn't a metalhead... but I will do my best...xD
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
11.07.2009 - 02:37
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
No one really, but it's not from lack of trying, I tried to play my friend some Necrophagist and she looked like she was going to cry, and it was Culinary Hyperversity, one of the best songs by them IMO, I mean WTF! It's an awesome song...I sent another friend Nile, she got scared...I sent this guy I know Hate Eternal and he said it was a racket. Since then I give up, all the more lovely music for me!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
11.07.2009 - 11:15
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Necrogeddon on 11.07.2009 at 02:37

No one really, but it's not from lack of trying, I tried to play my friend some Necrophagist and she looked like she was going to cry, and it was Culinary Hyperversity, one of the best songs by them IMO, I mean WTF! It's an awesome song...I sent another friend Nile, she got scared...I sent this guy I know Hate Eternal and he said it was a racket. Since then I give up, all the more lovely music for me!

I guess you should try with something softer if you want to get someone into Metal, BM, DM and other stuff like that are not really good for that
11.07.2009 - 22:02
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by Diabolos on 11.07.2009 at 11:15

I guess you should try with something softer if you want to get someone into Metal, BM, DM and other stuff like that are not really good for that

I believe in throwing them in at the deep end And anyway death and black are the best kinds of metal, I don't see why I shouldn't play it to them
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
11.07.2009 - 22:12
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Necrogeddon on 11.07.2009 at 22:02

Written by Diabolos on 11.07.2009 at 11:15

I believe in throwing them in at the deep end And anyway death and black are the best kinds of metal, I don't see why I shouldn't play it to them

You can show it to them later, then you have better chances that they will like it
16.07.2009 - 16:51
Piro

I was the first in my group of friends to discover metal. Some others listened to stuff like Slipknot, but I don't really consider that "metal". Anyway, I was amazed with Blind Guardian at the time, and they soon followed suit.

However, one guy that lives across the street from me fell in love with Hammer Smashed Face when I played it once on Youtube.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
11.08.2009 - 20:08
Razorback

I showed couple of bands to some younger friend,just to let him try find himself in metal.but he end up as true metal head,i am proud
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
25.08.2009 - 13:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
My "icq friend" from germany...she firstly contacted me when she saw some of my videos on youtube and since then i made a pagan/folk/power metal fan lover from her
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.08.2009 - 04:54
dEAthB3D

My friends... they used to only listen to shitty emo or nu metal songs, now they're addicted to metal
my sister... she become a drummer for a metal band (previously punk) after listening to meshuggah, mayhem, nile...
and believe it or not my grand mom....
she's crazy for bands like diablo swing orchestra, tool, opeth, even sepultura...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
26.08.2009 - 11:36
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But i still cannot convict my brother...he is still stuck on mainstream pop and rap and while he is 18 years already...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.08.2009 - 17:40
Panterica

I try to pull everyone I know into metal, so far the success is huge , I got my two best friends, my older sister, my little sister, my mom (Yes, my mom) and another friend of mine. Metal is spreading and thank God for that!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
05.10.2009 - 04:31
slayerstone94

Ummm man ummmm avenge 7 fold / COB My friend ian was a medal head way before me and he showed me this song that i relly like so now im a melotic medal head ever sence
----
i like what i like
05.10.2009 - 04:56
Deadpool

Written by Evilquince on 11.07.2009 at 01:46

I got my year younger brother into metal and I'm really proud of it. Especially because the first band he liked was my favorite one - Iron Maiden. Later came Judas Priest, Blind Guardian and similar...Imagine my surprise when I searched for some songs on his computer and found an album by Judas Priest that I myself didn't have it's true that he listens to some electronic music now such as The Prodigy, but he still hasn't forgot about metal ^^

there's also a friend of mine who's into Dream Theater, Helloween, Avenged Sevenfold but still claims that she isn't a metalhead... but I will do my best...xD

Avenged Sevenfold isn't metal, and besides, its not what you listen to its a way of life. And if you don't live the metal life then you're not a metalhead, so your friend is right, she isn't a metalhead.
05.10.2009 - 05:10
Deadpool

You guys realize that the point of metal is not to get as much people as possible to listen it. the point of metal is to keep it sacred to you and not whore it out to everyone you know, that is what is killing metal these days. if you claim to be a metalhead then it should be your way of life, not just another type of music.
12.10.2009 - 13:38
Archetype

I've tried on more than several occasions but have been unsuccessful. Most of my friends drifted into the direction of hardcore, metalcore and nu-metal bands.
12.10.2009 - 17:08
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I dont try to influence people to get into metal because I dont feel it is my place to do it. I dont expect people to force their opinions onto me so im not going to tell someone to listen to metal - noone introduced me to metal and it was something that I had to discover for myself, therefor I feel its a bridge people will cross when they get to it.

Metal for me (in general and genres aside) appeals to a specific type of person and eventually those people will be drawn to it whether theyve been introduced to it or not. I suppose by accident Ive influenced people....when they come over to my house and hear something they like then fine, but I dont go over to people and say "here listen this, I think you might like it".
12.10.2009 - 17:23
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Deadpool on 05.10.2009 at 04:56

And if you don't live the metal life then you're not a metalhead, so your friend is right, she isn't a metalhead.

That is the most stupid thing Ive heard in my entire life and its used as such a "fallback" by many people. Metal isnt a way of life thats total crap Im sorry...because for me to follow a "metal" way of life its like living as a subspecies. Not trying to piss people off or get anyone angry but my view of the typical metalhead is an overweight, alcohol infested, unambitious loudmouth who headbangs to anything. Thats not metal....metal is not wearing your favourite band shirt everyday, being pissed off and "us against the rest" attitude. You dont have to be a worm in order to be metal. I consider myself as a person who appreciates metal and loves metal music, but following a conformist ideology of being a "metalhead" is quite lowly in my opinion.

I might be wrong, im pretty sure most other people will disagree with me on this, but its bullshit that you have to follow the "metal way of life" otherwise you are not considered metal. I consider myself much more metal based on my knowledge of metal music than many people I see every day who follow this so-called "lifestyle". Many of whom just conform because they cant stand on their own two feet as an indivudual but ask them about metal music and they go fucking blank. So yeah...its crap.
16.10.2009 - 01:44
Deadpool

Written by Guest on 12.10.2009 at 17:23

Written by Deadpool on 05.10.2009 at 04:56

And if you don't live the metal life then you're not a metalhead, so your friend is right, she isn't a metalhead.

That is the most stupid thing Ive heard in my entire life and its used as such a "fallback" by many people. Metal isnt a way of life thats total crap Im sorry...because for me to follow a "metal" way of life its like living as a subspecies. Not trying to piss people off or get anyone angry but my view of the typical metalhead is an overweight, alcohol infested, unambitious loudmouth who headbangs to anything. Thats not metal....metal is not wearing your favourite band shirt everyday, being pissed off and "us against the rest" attitude. You dont have to be a worm in order to be metal. I consider myself as a person who appreciates metal and loves metal music, but following a conformist ideology of being a "metalhead" is quite lowly in my opinion.

I might be wrong, im pretty sure most other people will disagree with me on this, but its bullshit that you have to follow the "metal way of life" otherwise you are not considered metal. I consider myself much more metal based on my knowledge of metal music than many people I see every day who follow this so-called "lifestyle". Many of whom just conform because they cant stand on their own two feet as an indivudual but ask them about metal music and they go fucking blank. So yeah...its crap.

To be considered a metalhead, you must love metal. you don't have to dress like one, you don't have to go to concerts, you don't have to act a certain way. You just have to know what you love and never change it just because of the new trend. You just have to stick with who you are. So being a metalhead is just generally having knowledge of metal. knowing who you are, that is the metalhead way of life.
16.10.2009 - 01:55
GamlaSonn

Love thy metal and you shall be a metalhead