Metal Storm logo
Carcass

Original post

Posted by Maim, 17.05.2006 - 08:39
Ok here it is, the official Carcass thread. I'm sure most of you know who they were. For those who don't they started off as a grindcore band from England and gradually changed to melodic death metal before disbanding, and helped pioneer these genres. Alright everyone, post your thoughts...
16.03.2009 - 07:28
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Carcass was a good band, especialy heartwork was excelent, but I have to listen necrotism now. it is the only album i've not listened to!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.03.2009 - 16:43
ForeverDarkWoods
Carcass were a really good band at one point. I mostly like their grind era. Reek is best. Symphonies comes as a close second. Necroticism waas ok I guess. Don't at all care for the melodic stuff.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
17.03.2009 - 14:13
Carcass is amazing. Saw them live in Phili, drove 8 hours to see them and got to meet Jeff Walker and Bill Steer. Was an awesome time. I love Necroticism and Heartwork and Swansong
----
Long live Metal
18.03.2009 - 00:08
WITCHCLAN
CARCASS are for me absolute legends of both the Death Metal and Grindcore scenes. They were pushing the boundaries for both scenes way back in the late 80's and released some of the most groundbreaking and original sounding albums to ever come out of the scenes.
The lyrical approach has never been equalled - these were gore lyrics but with an unparalleled level of medical accuracy (mainly thanks to Ken's education) but with a distinct humour and at an angle not yet tested by other bands.

Poor sound production on Reek Of Putrefaction lets it down but the album sounds raw and the songs are quality, played live and surprisingly tight for a band effectively still learning to play together.
Symphonies Of Sickness is perhaps my favourite album by the band, a better production, better structured songs, more classic lyrics and still testing the censors with grotesque photo imagary which still looks extreme to this day.
My second favourite album is 'Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious' which saw them take a new direction. Incredibly technical music thanks to the addition of Michael Amot and a clean and crisp production. This time, a step away from the gory artwork but still the same lyrical approach although slightly moved on and more technical. I was very disappointed with the albums that followed. Heartwork wasn't so bad although it is not a memorable LP for me. It was 'Swansong' that finished it for me, this was not the Carcass I knew and loved. This was mediocre rock music with Jeff's trademark vocals - poor songs and poor lyrics, although a good strong production. The band had burnt out with this one and were right to call it a day. I would love to see a new Carcass album after the recent reform for a tour. I think now is the time for new material and I think the band have had time to to reflect and know now what the fans want (not another 'Swansong' that's for sure....) so let's hope that the next year will see new material surfacing from the mighty Carcass!!!
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
01.05.2009 - 06:45
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
It's a shame they didn't do more in the line of heartwork. The stuff before that was breat and the stuff followig that had a couple great tracks but overall it coulda been better. HEartwork was a big influence on my listening and honestly was their best work in my opinion. I liked this band a ton!

The bands the former members went to form were pretty good: The Crown and Archenemy (well depending on what song you're talking about.
----
28.07.2009 - 14:22
ylside
staff
Check this : http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=7908

A big gigapan picture of Wacken 2008 while Carcass are playing. I was surprised to find this out.
29.07.2009 - 00:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I have all their material but SoS sticks out for me - the crushing guitars and deathgrowl singing and unbelievable lyrics. . On a side note at the same time I discovered Carcass (late 80's) I was also uncovering another Earache Records band = Godflesh. WTG EARACHE!
----
rekt
29.07.2009 - 16:34
GamlaSonn
Awesome band.

I like their stuff between Symphonies and Sickness to Heartwork
03.08.2009 - 21:24
Greatest band of all time. I am a die-hard fan of these guys. I made plans to go to Wacken the second they announced it, and the gig was the greatest day of my life. My long-suffering wife has succumbed to the fanboy inside me, and has reisgned to accepting that I am a total fucking mentalist.

I <3 Carcass. End of.
23.09.2009 - 18:36
Woutjinho
Account deleted
I only like the grind era. the rest sucks
15.10.2009 - 15:45
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
They are my fav. death metal band.
24.10.2009 - 23:41
Symphonies and Necroticism are two of the best albums ever penned. Saw these guys live last year and it was the funniest gig i've ever been to. There was this dude reaching out to Walker for a pick and Walker says "You can have it for ten quid." Walker drops it in his hand and comments "What I actually meant was a blowjob." I love the English.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
26.10.2009 - 02:09
Galar
Wicked Mung
Wake up and smell the carcass DVD/cd is the single greatist investment one could make! My mom brought me back a copy from Paris, good shit.

Seen Carcass twice, and I am only 18 years old. I got to meet Jeff Walker and William Jeffrey Steer. Fuckin great shows.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
26.11.2009 - 19:24
SatyriconChick
Carcass... Great band! I got to see them live during their tour for Heartwork back in 1994. Unfortunately, Michael Amott was no longer in the band at that time, but they still rocked. After the show, I got to meet them and hang with them for awhile. They're great guys, very down to earth. I'm pleased that they reunited (sad about Ken Owen, though ).
20.11.2010 - 19:29
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Warning, spam message:

CARCASS KICKS ASS !!! WOHOOOOO !!!!!

lol
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
20.11.2010 - 21:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
What can I say? Carcass were the first band I ever saw live, and they also made my all time fave death metal album "Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious". \m/ Rarely have I been blown away the first time I heard an album as I was when I first heard that one. I fear that Mike Amott's commitments to Arch Enemy will prevent Carcass ever producing a new album, (although I still think they could make one without him) though even if they never record anything new again, their legacy on the genre's of grind (goregrind in particular) and melodic death cannot possibly be overestimated. Legendary band! xD
20.11.2010 - 23:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Yes, Carcass is one of those bands I keep going back to. It's the infectious riffs, unique vocals and grabbing beats.
29.11.2010 - 23:26
AyΣm
Abyssal Zebra
Too good, a mighty band, and I thought I would be disappointed of seeing them live because of the years, but no, they were incredible at Hellfest this year, playing their best album, with songs like Incarnated Solvent Abuse, or Corporal Jigsore Quandary... a big slap in my face!
05.12.2010 - 23:12
ryche76
Without doubt one of the finest metal bands ever, and "THE BEST" Death Metal band to walk the earth. I have all the CD's and also "Wake Up and Smell the Carcass" Video and CD. Any one who is a true fan should buy "The Pathologists Report" which is all five albums that are dual layer DVD/CD and watch the interviews with Bill, Jeff, Michael and Ken. Brilliant Stuff !!!!
07.12.2010 - 17:48
Guib
Thrash Talker
The band is fantastic ! Its sad they're not releasing anything new but most of their albums are classics. My personal Favorite would be Heartwork... right next to my second fav Symphonies Of Sickness great band really
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.01.2011 - 09:13
Vivi'
I love them - I hope they tour more in the future. Their grind stuff is great, Necrotism is a killer album; and their melodeath stuff is not soft melo - I like, too. It's a dream of mine to see them live.
28.04.2011 - 05:48
Void_Eater
Account deleted
It's always enjoyable to tell people that I'm listening to Genital Grinder by Carcass.
24.05.2011 - 14:18
A.J Thunder
The music video for Corporal Jigsore Quandary allways gets me up and kicking.
13.03.2020 - 15:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
14.07.2020 - 04:24
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Lol. No posts for almost nine years...

"Reek..." and "Symphonies..." are at least partially to blame for the development of my constant pursuit of more and more extreme and disgusting music.

I quite like the legacy Carcass created (for goregrind at least - don't care about melodic death metal too much. there are some good riffs here and there, but life's too short for stuff that I don't find interesting).

You have the clones with good riffs and sound, like General Surgery and County Medical Examiners.

You have the really good early more extreme goregrind bands they inspired, like Regurgitate and Dead Infection.

And then you have the straight-up blastfest of LDOH and their offspring and the whole gorenoise thing that grew out of that.

Goregrind continues to have good bands until this day. Just give Haggus, Necrotic Liquefaction, Sulfuric Cautery or any of number of bands a listen and you'll see that the goregrind infection is still rotting, festering and necrotizing in the most healthy way.

A lot of junk in there, but a lot of good music too.

Carcass will always hold a special place in my putrefied heart.

Thank you, Carcass.