06. Witchtanic Hellucinations
07. Beastly Brew
08. Cauldron Cave
09. Rabid Werewitch
10. Realm Of The Wicked
11. Witches Tits
12. Broomstick Bitch
13. October 31st

Somewhere in the United States of America is a cave. And in that cave, with rotting corpses scattered on the ground, is a cauldron. And in that cauldron, rusty and filthy, brews a wicked potion called "Witchtanic Hellucinations". Do not get too close to it or you might inhale some of its vile and corrupting vapours. Or is that what you're after? Then come closer in this lair of the Acid Witch and change your life forever.

What exactly is this brew comprised of? Let's take a look at this evil witch's cabinet, shall we? Ah, there we have freshly disunited zombie corpses and a couple of vials of the hippie-drug acid, some Black Sabbath albums, but also the works of Necros Christos, Autopsy and early Entombed. And some old school horror b-movies, fuzzy seventies' doom distortion and a good dose of drug-induced insanity to top it all off. The utter uncompromising attitude of Lasse, Shagrat and Dave is very charming and exactly the attitude you can expect from a band on Razorback Records' gorey roster.

So what exactly does this add up to? Let me tell you: it all adds up to a diabolic three quarters of fuzzy Doom metal with swirling Death metal riffs, psychedelic guitar solos, demonic old-school gurgled growls, eerie witches' crackles and insults with a lot of humorous gore and nasty shit going on. Take a look at the cover art, which should tell you more than enough. The entire thing is old school to the bone.

Acid Witch completely overwhelmed me with their "Witchtanic Hellucinations". It might sound paradoxical, giving the thematic and audible concept of this album, but it has been a while since I've heard something so fresh and invigorating. If you're an open-minded fan of seventies' Doom or gorey Death metal, you're invited to take a chalice full of this wicked witches' brew and chug it down! Or as the band likes to say: let the death trip begin!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 24.11.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 31   Visited by: 306 users
05.12.2011 - 05:15
second_coming89
Account deleted
Nice review haha.

I think their lyrical content is cheesy as fuck
Usually I don't entertain bands who sing about such things, But I must say, Acid Witch are great. The sound is like a fusion of Stoner Metal and Death metal, with psychedelic overtones.
I simply must get stoned to their music in the near future!

Hits total: 12899 | This month: 9