04. Devils Island
05. Good Mourning/Black Friday
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Howlin' Wolf cover]
08. My Last Words
09. Wake Up Dead [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
10. The Conjuring [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
11. Peace Sells [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]
12. Good Mourning/Black Friday [Randy Burns Mix version] [2004 re-release bonus]

Disc II [remastered version]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Peace Sells
04. Devils Island
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Willie Dixon cover]
08. My Last Words

Disc III [1987 live concert]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Bad Omen
04. Rattlehead
05. Killing Is My Business
06. Looking Down The Cross
07. My Last Words
08. Peace Sells
09. These Boots [Nancy Sinatra cover]
10. Devils Island
11. Loved To Deth
12. Mechanix

Disc IV [original Randy Burns mixes]
01. Wake Up Dead
02. The Conjuring
03. Peace Sells
04. Devils Island
06. Bad Omen
07. I Ain't Superstitious [Howlin' Wolf cover]
08. My Last Words

Let us revisit the year of 1986 for a moment, because this year was probably THE biggest year in the history of Thrash Metal. Three of the biggest acts in Thrash metal released what would become their most impressive works to date. That being Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets', Slayer's 'Reign In Blood' and Megadeth's 'Peace Sells...', Three massive albums that raised the bar in Thrash Metal beyond comprehension. The only difference however, is that Megadeth still had much more to offer after this release, which is why they continue to be a favourite of mine.

What separates this from all the other Megadeth albums is that this album is incredibly consistent with the pace of their songs. And even when I thought they may slow it down on the cover track 'I Ain't Superstitious' they carved it up with the intensity that they're renown for, took it and made it their own song, adding shredding solos and Mustaine's trademark vocals. And they did it all without it sounding awkward or out of place.

Now as far as I know 'Wake Up Dead' and the title track are the live material tracks off this release. And yes I love those songs, but my personal favourite is the underrated closer 'My Last Words', it's structured a lot like 'Wake Up Dead' only it doesn't stop and start again half way through the track (those of you who have heard it already would know what I'm on about), the transition from the main riff is amazing, it just transforms into a new song, again without sounding the slightest bit out of place.

The musicianship is just phenomenal, none of the instruments get drowned out by others and Poland's shredding is nothing short of what you'd expect to hear on a Megadeth record, outstanding. Production-wise it isn't all that good, but it's nothing that should make listening to this intolerable, the only thing is that sometimes the solos sound a little sharp, but that's easily forgotten by the overall brilliance of the album.

So how does it measure 20 years after its release? I still think it is the best thing to come out of Megadeth's impressive catalogue, and anyone who's into metal should get a hold of this. If you're a Trash-metaller and haven't already heard this, you need to listen to it now, you'll be doing yourself a huge service.

Highlights: Wake up Dead, Peace Sells, My Last Words.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Desecrator | 22.11.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
"I sneak in my own house, it's four in the morning, I've had too much to drink, said I was out with the boys. I creep in my bedroom, I slip into bed, I know if I wake her I'll wake up....dead."

We all know what happens from there. Poland kicks off with an awesome fucking solo, and your brain dies from the lethal injection of metal you've just shot into your bloodstream. "Peace Sells" is the album that put Megadeth on the map. Mankind is and always will be at war with itself, much like the riffage of each instrument will be in constant competition with each other on this album. Yet ideas of peace still sell in this world. Let me ask you this, then; are you buying?

Read more ››
published 15.01.2009 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 204 users
26.11.2008 - 05:23
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This was one of Megadeths greatest (although I think Rust in Piece is their opus honestly). I give this album credit for being fast, furious and technical withoutt being neither pretentious or overplayed. Out of the big 3 of thrash (I dont know how Anthrax are comparable to Slayer, Metalliica or Megadeth) I always thought that megadeath had numerically more good albums than the other two.
26.11.2008 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Paradox0 on 26.11.2008 at 05:23

... (I dont know how Anthrax are comparable to Slayer, Metalliica or Megadeth) ...

Here we go again... another one who thinks a band shouldn't be in it just because of personal preferences.
Just read the threads on the Big FOUR and you'll see why they were considered as part of the four. FFS they OUTSOLD Megadeth and Slayer easily at the time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2008 - 18:26
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Good review. i'd score it a tad lower (9 even), but i agree with you in that it is the best megadeth ever did.

as for Paradox0 and the "Big Three" -

The only thing Anthrax is not comparable to Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer on is the year 1986, which the reviews specifically mentions in the review as Anthrax did not release an album that year. They did release their two best albums as bookends to 1986, however, with "Spreading the Disease" in '85 and "Among the Living" in '87.

Sorry for the tangent, but sick to death of people who cannot grasp the simple "Big Four" was a term coined to refer specifically to those four bands concept.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.11.2008 - 17:22
Rating: 10
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Wow, aside from the first paragraph your review contains most of my thoughts on the album exactly, especially "My Last Words". Nice to finally have a review on MS for this crazy-good album! I've always had a bone or five to pick with Megadeth but this is a 10/10 effort
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
16.02.2009 - 23:35
AngelOfDisease

My favorite album by my favorite band... 10/10
17.05.2009 - 13:22
Rating: 7
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

... I give this album credit for being fast, furious ...

is this album fast and furius??? then what is for example reign in blood or rust in peace???
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.05.2009 - 14:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 13:22

is this album fast and furius??? then what is for example reign in blood or rust in peace???

rust in peace isn't furious at all imo. They actually already mellowed out there although it was still fast at times. But the fastest parts on Peace Sells are easily faster than the fastest on RIP.
Reing IN Blood is fast and furious as well but on a different level. Megadeth on Peace Sells is PISSED OFF at world whereas Slayer on RIB aren't
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2009 - 15:15
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2009 at 14:59

rust in peace isn't furious at all imo. They actually already mellowed out there although it was still fast at times. But the fastest parts on Peace Sells are easily faster than the fastest on RIP.
Reing IN Blood is fast and furious as well but on a different level. Megadeth on Peace Sells is PISSED OFF at world whereas Slayer on RIB aren't

i don't know. in my ears peace sells isn't aggresssive at all. maybe it's the production maybe my personal taste... it has fast moments but they are very few IMO to call this one fast and furius...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.05.2009 - 15:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 15:15

i don't know. in my ears peace sells isn't aggresssive at all. maybe it's the production maybe my personal taste... it has fast moments but they are very few IMO to call this one fast and furius...

But you do find Rust In Peace aggressive? Now that IS baffling to me
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2009 - 15:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2009 at 15:20

Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 15:15

But you do find Rust In Peace aggressive? Now that IS baffling to me

i've not heard the entire RIP. i just have heard some songs. IMO they are not so aggressive too, but they are clearly faster..
----
20.06.2009 - 21:26
terrorist

I dont't consider this album better than Rust In Peace as someone does,but it is a great album though.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.09.2009 - 03:20
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I personally give this album a slight edge over RIP. It has a bit more variety to it, particularly in the politically charged hardcore punk/thrash masterpiece "Peace Sells". Cannot stress how amazing that song is.

Gar's drumming on this album is brillant. I never get tired of it, even over multiple listens per day. And I love the addition of "Ain't Superstitious" on this album. Who thought going back back to blues roots on a thrash album would work? Dave Mustaine did, and not only was it ambitious, but it was a hell of a good idea. It's well rounded, lyrically great, and musically AMAZING. Almost math metal with attitude. Kind of like the coolest kid in school is also the biggest nerd in school. Only Peace Sells... could pull off such a feat.
----
11.04.2010 - 07:50
JohnWayneGacy666

The definitive megadeth album best i've heard from them
11.04.2010 - 17:53
soadbyob
Account deleted
Amazing album, Dave Mustaine = God
18.07.2014 - 13:37
Rating: 3
Dr. Strawberry

I was not convonced by your review at all. It's too general and there's no detailed description of the skills of musicianship.
I still don't thnk this is a good album after so many years...in fact it's bad in my point of view.
26.07.2015 - 17:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Peace Sells - I like it 100% political song, what did Striper Gore said about it LOL
really brilliant album, all Greeks should listen it and instead Peace but Greece .... Dave's lyrics simply sometimes are simple but hit nail to head..
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2020 - 22:49
BlankFile

It´s an absolute fabulous Thrash metal classic, full of amazing songs. One of their best records for sure.

Hits total: 7976 | This month: 8